Transmission mount, is my noise normal?

Hey all =) 

Just fit a torque solutions transmission mount. I was anticipating more noise, but I just want to make sure that my levels of noise and vibration are normal. 

So there is a fair bit more vibration, can feel it through my ass, hands on the wheel, and all of the new resonant frequency cabin rattles. 

I hear the workings of the gearbox more which I expected and quite like, the main thing I wanted to confirm is whether it was normal to get what appears to be significantly more engine noise, and at a much deeper note, or have I ballsed something up? 

I'm not super bothered by the noise, I just don't want the noise to be me having buggered up and to leave it then something break! 

Shifting definitely feels better, I just wasn't certain I was meant to have quite so much noise and vibration. Is it persistent? I read it settles slightly. Like I said, I'm not averse to it, just checking I've not mounted something incorrectly. 

Is the Torque Solutions one billet Aly? If so, it's gonna transfer every little noise and vibration, so I'd be more worried if there weren't any. Should quieten down a bit after a while, but not massively.

Mine's entirely PU, so more of a compromise between NVH and performance. I don't notice any extra vibrations or rattles, just a different frequency and a deep rumble on revving.

It's Torque Solutions, and the framework is billet aluminium, but it is poly in the centre, I guess it must be pretty firm. 

Definitely more vibration, can feel it in my ass, reckon it will shake my interior loose! 

Yes, it's normal. It gets even more interesting with a lightened single mass flywheel. Sounds like a Huey at low revs, with my South Bend Quiet Disk / 19lb flywheel combo. :)

That said, I went for the HARDRACE, alu/rubber mount, as the hard poly 75A+ trans mounts are documented as being very loud/vibraty. With the HARDRACE mount the vibrations are pretty minimal, but the noise I considerably deeper/louder.

7 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Yes, it's normal. It gets even more interesting with a lightened single mass flywheel. Sounds like a Huey at low revs

Haha, thanks for the heads up :lol:

As long as it's normal then I'm good with it, I expected some, but how much was difficult to quantify; at least I can rest reasonably soundly that I've not fitted it incorrectly or something. 

If I grow tired of the TS mount I might have to give the hardrace one a go instead. 

Are there any potential issues with everything vibrating more? I'd not want to be doing any damage to the drivechain. 

I had read all about the unwanted noises when replacing this mount, when I bought their engine mounts I asked Vibra Technics if they could make me a matching gearbox mount, they said yes, I tested it and now its available and has been for a bit now. All the benefits that you'd want from the upgraded mount and I can assure you there's no unwanted noises at all! So if you do find it too much then get this ordered

http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/nissan/350z/724/NIS234M/transmission_mount_

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

All the benefits that you'd want from the upgraded mount and I can assure you there's no unwanted noises at all

That's cool, thank you very much for the heads up on that, I'll give it a little while before I make a decision =) How do you find the engine mounts by the way? I've been vaguely trying to find reviews of whether it is worth doing and the difference it makes =) 

2 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

I had read all about the unwanted noises when replacing this mount, when I bought their engine mounts I asked Vibra Technics if they could make me a matching gearbox mount, they said yes, I tested it and now its available and has been for a bit now. All the benefits that you'd want from the upgraded mount and I can assure you there's no unwanted noises at all! So if you do find it too much then get this ordered

Glad to hear that as i went with Engine mounts Fast type and gearbox too.

1 hour ago, 350Butcher said:

Very interesting, wonder how it would compare to my current mount, might check it out.

As far as the drivetrain is concerned, I do not believe and significant additional damage is occurring to the drivetrain, I would say that the transmission crossmember and its bolts are experiencing added stress due to the increase in forces being transmitted.

11 hours ago, Doom said:

That's cool, thank you very much for the heads up on that, I'll give it a little while before I make a decision =) How do you find the engine mounts by the way? I've been vaguely trying to find reviews of whether it is worth doing and the difference it makes =) 

No problem!!  Re engine mounts, its hard to review them as I changed so much at the same time as installing them. That said, on track the front end it definitely improved in terms of turn in and response and some of that I'd give to the mounts. If you've ever driven with something heavy loose in the boot then you'll know the effect it has when it jolts the car around, the same of when the engine has that small movement and jolts load through the front end...........its got to be better to get rid of that movement and the negative effects it has and its worth noting that like the gearbox mount there's no additional NVH 

10 hours ago, Snjur said:

Glad to hear that as i went with Engine mounts Fast type and gearbox too.

You'll be very pleased with them

9 hours ago, Eigen said:

Very interesting, wonder how it would compare to my current mount, might check it out.

As far as the drivetrain is concerned, I do not believe and significant additional damage is occurring to the drivetrain, I would say that the transmission crossmember and its bolts are experiencing added stress due to the increase in forces being transmitted.

If its any other poly or solid type mount then other than being quiet I'm not sure it offers any more (or any less for that) in terms of support and control

Don't think anything is under additional stress just think it eliminates the movement under load that the gearbox experiences   

On 4/30/2018 at 21:00, 350Butcher said:

No problem!!  Re engine mounts, its hard to review them as I changed so much at the same time as installing them. That said, on track the front end it definitely improved in terms of turn in and response and some of that I'd give to the mounts. If you've ever driven with something heavy loose in the boot then you'll know the effect it has when it jolts the car around, the same of when the engine has that small movement and jolts load through the front end...........its got to be better to get rid of that movement and the negative effects it has and its worth noting that like the gearbox mount there's no additional NVH 

You'll be very pleased with them

If its any other poly or solid type mount then other than being quiet I'm not sure it offers any more (or any less for that) in terms of support and control

Don't think anything is under additional stress just think it eliminates the movement under load that the gearbox experiences   

Yes i am particularly interested in the noise aspect. My current mount, from hardrace, uses a rubber bushing encased in alu, so performance wise it should be the same, perhaos better as it is a very stiff rubber.

However, it looks like the one you have installed uses more rubber, which could dampen noise a bit, which as ive mentioned is already enhanced on my end by a 19lb single mass flywheel. :)

What flywheel are your running in yours? How is the noise upto 2-3k under load? 

On 5/2/2018 at 21:01, Eigen said:

Yes i am particularly interested in the noise aspect. My current mount, from hardrace, uses a rubber bushing encased in alu, so performance wise it should be the same, perhaos better as it is a very stiff rubber.

However, it looks like the one you have installed uses more rubber, which could dampen noise a bit, which as ive mentioned is already enhanced on my end by a 19lb single mass flywheel. :)

What flywheel are your running in yours? How is the noise upto 2-3k under load? 

Regarding noise.....there is none extra over Oem at all. However the benefits of the extra support and not being caught without being able to grab a gear on track are completely cured with this mount

I have the Xtreme single mass steel flywheel fitted to my car which is only apparent at idle there is no noise from it when driving. If yours is an ally flywheel they are noisier I believe......which is why mine is steel......there's a theme to all of my mods!

Interesting, i will have to try it out. I also installed a steel fly for the same reason.

Agreed on the performance aspect though, an absolute godsend on tight tracks.

What exhaust are you running, btw? I do not notice the noise when i have my exhaust valve open, only under the stock exhaust.

Any extra vibrations with the mount? Bte are you running an HR or DE? 

29 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Interesting, i will have to try it out. I also installed a steel fly for the same reason.

Agreed on the performance aspect though, an absolute godsend on tight tracks.

What exhaust are you running, btw? I do not notice the noise when i have my exhaust valve open, only under the stock exhaust.

Any extra vibrations with the mount? Bte are you running an HR or DE? 

I'm sure you'll be as happy as I am with it

Really is a well worth doing upgrade and pound for pound one of the best value too.

My car's on PPE long tube manifolds, resonated Motordyne XYZ and Tanabe system.......to be honest it does bark at around 3-3.5k so probably would struggle to hear it but even before the manifolds it didn't make any noise, maybe the later gearbox doesn't rattle quite so much.......my old DE car though did make the rattle at those revs so I know what you mean noise wise.

Its an HR car and no extra vibration or resonance at all in to the cabin........car is silent cruising at 80-85 on the motorway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

I'm sure you'll be as happy as I am with it

Really is a well worth doing upgrade and pound for pound one of the best value too.

My car's on PPE long tube manifolds, resonated Motordyne XYZ and Tanabe system.......to be honest it does bark at around 3-3.5k so probably would struggle to hear it but even before the manifolds it didn't make any noise, maybe the later gearbox doesn't rattle quite so much.......my old DE car though did make the rattle at those revs so I know what you mean noise wise.

Its an HR car and no extra vibration or resonance at all in to the cabin........car is silent cruising at 80-85 on the motorway

Thanks, that must be it, the HR is a noticeably smoother engine based on my experience. DE's, run like tractor engine's, but you can't argue with the torque. :) 

Great exhaust setup BTW, if I were running an HR, which actually responds to N/A mods, that's the direction I would go. Must howl in the upper RPM ranges, but I imagine its not exactly silent. 

18 hours ago, Eigen said:

Thanks, that must be it, the HR is a noticeably smoother engine based on my experience. DE's, run like tractor engine's, but you can't argue with the torque. :) 

Great exhaust setup BTW, if I were running an HR, which actually responds to N/A mods, that's the direction I would go. Must howl in the upper RPM ranges, but I imagine its not exactly silent. 

Yes the HR is a peach compared to the DE's agricultural feel and response..........really enjoyed my earlier car though and it sold me to wanting to keep with another Z

Its a work of art those manifolds and has definitely helped release some power......and noise! Sorry to hi jack this thread but you get the idea from this vid

• Like 1

Cheers!

Wish it captured all the noise though, gives you an idea but its so much more than the camera captures

Back to the mount though, in places like Silverstone where you've got the high speed dive in to Maggots/Becketts left/right/left/right and the weight of the engine tugging the front this way then that, I think the difference in before and after installing the Vibra Technics is definitely noticeable with the front end responding far better with the direction changes

On 4/30/2018 at 07:15, 350Butcher said:

I had CougarStore fit mine when having the clutch done and I had the increased engine noise the OP is describing so its not unique to a certain brand. Looking at my email confirmation from Vibra-technics it was a: "Transmission Mount - NIS234M". I didn't get any vibration just a low rumble/growl type noise at low speed (guessing it got drowned out at higher speed)

It settled down after a while and i forgot about it but it was only reading this topic that reminded me  again.

I've had my one on for 2 years, after a few months the weird low ducatti type noise goes. 

The only thing I get sometimes is a weird resonance vibration at 2500-3000 rpm when coming off of the throttle at around 45-50mph. 

Although since Kaizer did the new clutch/flywheel I've not noticed it.