200sx S14a Next Car??

eroll_350z

Hi everyone, 

I've had my 350z for just over a year now, and I am no way bored of it at all, but my original choice of car was an S14a, but decided to go for the 'safe' option and get the 350z, however, the more and more I see s14s, the more I want one.

I have found a couple for sale that are clean and lightly modified (springs/coilovers, exhaust and wheels). The idea would be to use it as a daily, I know people say SR20s are unreliable but there are others that have passed 100,000 miles and higher and still pull strong. 

Obviously the main thing would be the rust and treating it, but a full underseal isn't too expensive from what I know. 

Would anyone who has had one or currently got an S14 recommend getting one? 

Thanks for reading this if you've got this far. 

Eroll. 

I'm in the process of saving a s14a at the moment, car looked ace from the outside and in, had just been HEAVILY undersealed. Took me until I started to strip it down to see how bad it was (after having new sills welded in by previous owner), the whole bottom requires stripping and the rust cut out the worst parts, the inner wings are also badly rotted. only has 45k miles and is a 1999 car but looks like its been kept under the sea.

All I would say is buy a recently imported one and poke everything underneith with a screw driver. Its a totally different car to my Z and if I didn't really enjoy its lightweight character it would have been parted out and binned.

The Z is also starting to suffer from rust but fortunately it seems a lot eaiser to fix, and the subframe is alu so wont rust. 

As for the sr20det, I plan to have some turbo fun for a while but eventually it will get a spare VQ35 in there as I want a reliable economic daily driver. Unlike my supercharged 350z.

• Like 1

SR20s are unreliable???  Where on earth did you hear that? Gearbox perhaps but, the engine? No... no definitely not.  I'll grant you the every engine has its weaknesses . I suppose in the case of the SR20DET it's the ring-lands but only when you've been pushing your luck with power and not had it mapped so, it's to be expected eventually. Other than that, it's a pretty solid unit. I speak with experience from having an S13 many many years ago and currently have a Pulsar GTIR  mapped with 330 hp. Abused it for a year like that with standard internals and it never missed a beat. The Pulsar engine is a bit of a step up in reliability in terms of the SR20 variants as there are slight differences. 

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Aye, they are a full generation behind a 350Z and feel it when you drive them, they also quickly become marginalised when you mod them. They arent really economical, and while you can find good ones even the newest is now 16 years old so wear and tear will be showing. 
I dearly love them but when a reasonable S14 is £2K more than a reasonable 350Z its a difficult one to justify. 

And in answer to your last question I had an 2xS12's, an S13 convertible, 4xRS13, 1xPS13 and 2xS14's and was SXOC Chairman so know them pretty well :lol: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, evilscorp said:

I'm in the process of saving a s14a at the moment, car looked ace from the outside and in, had just been HEAVILY undersealed. Took me until I started to strip it down to see how bad it was (after having new sills welded in by previous owner), the whole bottom requires stripping and the rust cut out the worst parts, the inner wings are also badly rotted. only has 45k miles and is a 1999 car but looks like its been kept under the sea.

All I would say is buy a recently imported one and poke everything underneith with a screw driver. Its a totally different car to my Z and if I didn't really enjoy its lightweight character it would have been parted out and binned.

The Z is also starting to suffer from rust but fortunately it seems a lot eaiser to fix, and the subframe is alu so wont rust. 

As for the sr20det, I plan to have some turbo fun for a while but eventually it will get a spare VQ35 in there as I want a reliable economic daily driver. Unlike my supercharged 350z.

That'll be a great project to keep an eye on! I've found one not too far from me which is an import and in great condition.  Like I say, I'm in no rush to sell, but if the right one comes up...

In all honesty, I want a rwd turbo, and I'm not spending ridiculous money for forced induction for my Z. Seen a few Skyline GTTs too.

6 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

SR20s are unreliable???  Where on earth did you hear that? Gearbox perhaps but, the engine? No... no definitely not.  I'll grant you the every engine has its weaknesses . I suppose in the case of the SR20DET it's the ring-lands but only when you've been pushing your luck with power and not had it mapped so, it's to be expected eventually. Other than that, it's a pretty solid unit. I speak with experience from having an S13 many many years ago and currently have a Pulsar GTIR  mapped with 330 hp. Abused it for a year like that with standard internals and it never missed a beat. The Pulsar engine is a bit of a step up in reliability in terms of the SR20 variants as there are slight differences. 

Usually from people that drift SRs say they are unreliable, and I can see why from that perspective, constant limiter bashing and the likes. I suppose it's like any engine/car, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

I wouldn't run too much power through it, maybe chuck on an aid filter and a more free flowing exhaust, mapped and then that's it. Just something else to enjoy driving. 

Am I being realistic in the fact that I would daily it though? I don't think it's too much of an ask. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StevoD said:

My sr20 was unreliable :lol:

But more due to the age than a crap engine every line hose and gasket went. Before it started getting a nice rattle 

1994 with 150k on the clock 

I assume that was the vvt rattle?? Did you get rid of it? 

1 hour ago, nowhereboy said:

Would make a great weekend toy but I wouldn't fancy daily driving a 200SX. 

Everyone I know who's had one has always been fiddling around with them to keep them on the road. 

Do you know what types of things specifically they had to do to keep them going? 

38 minutes ago, docwra said:

Aye, they are a full generation behind a 350Z and feel it when you drive them, they also quickly become marginalised when you mod them. They arent really economical, and while you can find good ones even the newest is now 16 years old so wear and tear will be showing. 
I dearly love them but when a reasonable S14 is £2K more than a reasonable 350Z its a difficult one to justify. 

And in answer to your last question I had an 2xS12's, an S13 convertible, 4xRS13, 1xPS13 and 2xS14's and was SXOC Chairman so know them pretty well :lol: 

Wow! So yeah, you know them quite well haha! Don't get me started on the PS13, that is my all time favourite shape, but cannot justify spending that on such an old car, especially for a good one, seen some go for in excess of £9k plus! 

What was your favourite one to own in all of them? 

I don't know what it is about s14s though, they have a special place in my heart! It's bad, because any time I see one, I always think "hmm, I wish I got that". 

The wear and tear with them, I'm happy to do the work because the plan will be to keep it on the road for a long while. The reason that sparked looking at getting one is insurance, I done a quote and with all mods declared on an S14a, is cheaper than my Z...

8 minutes ago, StevoD said:

Yea VVT 

Sold it to get my z 

Bought it in 2011 for £1500 

Sold it in 2012 for £1100 with the rattle 

Can't believe that price! Disgustingly low compared to today's prices. Do you ever miss it? 

Standard response from me on the subject of going from a 350 to something older, think carefully. Do you really want to get out of what is a comfortable, solid and well put together decent car into something that rattles and creaks, requires fettling to keep going, old wiring thats giving up the ghost, noisy etc etc Just be aware as Doc says, its an old car that may not seem so great once the novelty has worn off.

Having said all that, its not like you cant change your mind if its an itch you have to scratch.

I own a 23 year old car (which you have seen!) it doesn't look like it from the outside with its shiny paint job etc but underneath it takes a lot of looking after. The previous owner gave me a booklet of around £7k worth of spend on parts in his 900 miles of ownership over 6 years. It was only on the strength of all the work done i.e. cambelt, pumps, hoses, clutch etc. that I bought the car. You just have to accept that some stuff on the car will fail due to age and you have to deal with it.

Inside I have tried to make the car more comfortable to live with but its still a 1995 car with its quirks. I think its worth just getting in the mindset that as you save up for that £500 nice exhaust its likely something like a water pump might fail and you spend the £500 on that instead. 

All that said, I do secretly love the fact that my 23 year old car is as quick as most 2018 hot hatches but looks a lot cooler and is uber rare. Just driving a bit of rally history around gives me a huge buzz that no newer car could.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Standard response from me on the subject of going from a 350 to something older, think carefully. Do you really want to get out of what is a comfortable, solid and well put together decent car into something that rattles and creaks, requires fettling to keep going, old wiring thats giving up the ghost, noisy etc etc Just be aware as Doc says, its an old car that may not seem so great once the novelty has worn off.

Having said all that, its not like you cant change your mind if its an itch you have to scratch.

I can totally appreciate that. That's the be expected from an older car though I think. A few things to think about. A friend of my mine had an R34 GTT for a few years and had no problems, I know it's a slightly different car but something else to think about too..

3 minutes ago, coldel said:

I own a 23 year old car (which you have seen!) it doesn't look like it from the outside with its shiny paint job etc but underneath it takes a lot of looking after. The previous owner gave me a booklet of around £7k worth of spend on parts in his 900 miles of ownership over 6 years. It was only on the strength of all the work done i.e. cambelt, pumps, hoses, clutch etc. that I bought the car. You just have to accept that some stuff on the car will fail due to age and you have to deal with it.

Inside I have tried to make the car more comfortable to live with but its still a 1995 car with its quirks. I think its worth just getting in the mindset that as you save up for that £500 nice exhaust its likely something like a water pump might fail and you spend the £500 on that instead. 

All that said, I do secretly love the fact that my 23 year old car is as quick as most 2018 hot hatches but looks a lot cooler and is uber rare. Just driving a bit of rally history around gives me a huge buzz that no newer car could.

Yes! This is the thing, don't want to sound too old but they don't make cars like they used to anymore. I'm more than happy enough to live with less creature comforts, although, s14s do come with electric windows and AC! As for sat nav, my phone does the job or rip part of the centre console out and whack one in, if not, it's not the end of the world. I'm more than happy enough to navigate the old fashioned way. 

This is why I'm in the market for a good one, low mileage, clean underneath, and all work previously done on the car, and if possible, a few mods done already, exhaust, coilovers etc. No rush to sell the Z but as I said, if the right one comes available.

Not looking to send it to hell by drifting it everyday but looking to drive it everyday and enjoy it. 

Probably worth looking at the import market, from what I have read so many have been modded and ragged (could be wrong of course, its been known!) but buying a stock one from Japan will help with that and avoid the metal rot. Most importers will also underseal the cars for you at a decent price.

I definitely will take a look, there are a couple of websites I know of. There's a couple of clean newly imported examples in the UK now, underneath has been sorted and no welding has been done. 

It's just asking for problems buying one that has been extensively modded and been used and abused. 

2 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

What was your favourite one to own in all of them? 

The 350. Seriously. :lol:

I still miss my last RS13 driftcar as it was sorted - over 400hp, HKS suspension, Nismo diff, strong fitment, all the alignment .......... but I miss it because its a driftcar, not a 200SX. 

Honestly speaking the cars were probably at their best when standard, they are genuinely nice to drive and still fairly quick. Modding them improves their performance and dynamics immensely but I think you lose a bit of the charm, maybe its just me being nostalgic though :lol:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docwra said:

The 350. Seriously. :lol:

I still miss my last RS13 driftcar as it was sorted - over 400hp, HKS suspension, Nismo diff, strong fitment, all the alignment .......... but I miss it because its a driftcar, not a 200SX. 

Honestly speaking the cars were probably at their best when standard, they are genuinely nice to drive and still fairly quick. Modding them improves their performance and dynamics immensely but I think you lose a bit of the charm, maybe its just me being nostalgic though :lol:

I can imagine the RS13 being immense to drive too with all that kit! 

What made you choose the 350 as the best? Because it's newer?

Like I said beforehand, I won't be looking to run ridiculous bhp through it, fairly standard, nice set of springs, exhaust and wheels, pretty much like my 350z, with the bonus of having an SR. 

17 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

Usually from people that drift SRs say they are unreliable, and I can see why from that perspective, constant limiter bashing and the likes. I suppose it's like any engine/car, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

I wouldn't run too much power through it, maybe chuck on an aid filter and a more free flowing exhaust, mapped and then that's it. Just something else to enjoy driving. 

Am I being realistic in the fact that I would daily it though? I don't think it's too much of an ask. 

Yeah, over revving just buckles the valves in the end and you get terrific misfire or worse. I'm having the head reconditioned along with new valves and the like so i can rev the conkers off it.!

16 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

This^... this is what i've done. sold my Z and got into a early 90s jap bucket. Lots of creaks and groans -even though it has been welded and strengthened, plus there is literally nothing in it except the seats and some fire extinguishers - and i did think at one point " oh lord, what have i done " BUT! and its a big BUT, a KIM Kardashian BUT. The performance and rawness off the car, the smell of high octane fuel in the cabin, the whine of the turbo, the exclusivity of the car. I truly love it. 

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2