200sx S14a Next Car??

eroll_350z

Don't mean to hijack your topic but I'm in a similar dilema myself, thinking about getting an R34 GTT and wrestling with the pros and cons that come with going to an older car from the 350z. I want something petrol, manual, RWD, similiar power and with rear seats for ~14k.

Audi S5, BMW 335i (dont fancy E46 M3 with 100k miles), Monaro are other considerations. GT86 and TT are out due to rear space.

An R34 Skyline is always something I've wanted to own, GTR's are mental money and the GTT is the only affordable way into ownership. I can afford to be carless from a time perspective when issues crop up but not necessarily from a financial perspective if it turns into a lemon, decisions decisions :wacko:

Edited by Sargara

14 hours ago, Sargara said:

Don't mean to hijack your topic but I'm in a similar dilema myself, thinking about getting an R34 GTT and wrestling with the pros and cons that come with going to an older car from the 350z. I want something petrol, manual, RWD, similiar power and with rear seats for ~14k.

Audi S5, BMW 335i (dont fancy E46 M3 with 100k miles), Monaro are other considerations. GT86 and TT are out due to rear space.

An R34 Skyline is always something I've wanted to own, GTR's are mental money and the GTT is the only affordable way into ownership. I can afford to be carless from a time perspective when issues crop up but not necessarily from a financial perspective if it turns into a lemon, decisions decisions :wacko:

No worries at all man, I'm happy to see others taking an interest into turning back the clock when it comes to cars! 

I was considering an R34 GTT myself and almost did buy one, I haven't done the same amount of research on them as I have S14s but I don't know if they carry the same types of problems. A friend of mine owned one for a year or 2 and had hardly any problems, but saying that, any car can have it's problems, you can drive a brand new one off the forecourt and something could go wrong. If you go for a looked after one, there's no reason why it won't look after you. 

Obviously being an older car, its main thing will most likely be rust issues, but as long as it's kept on top of, can't see why you shouldn't go for it. Just do your research before jumping in. 

As much as I would love an S14a, that's probably a while away for me, currently saving to get possibly an Evo 8/9, I'm sure that will scratch the turbo itch for the time being haha. 

• Like 1

Now a late Evo ........... thats a different prospect IMO. Still performs as well as anything out there, you wont lose any money on it and they are a genuine experience, the GTT is similar but a bit less so for me.

47 minutes ago, docwra said:

Now a late Evo ........... thats a different prospect IMO. Still performs as well as anything out there, you wont lose any money on it and they are a genuine experience, the GTT is similar but a bit less so for me.

This was my thought process for the Evo. First of all, both of my brother in law's worked for ralli art, and one still works at Mitsubishi, so I'm lucky in the sense that, when I do go to look at one, I can take either of them and they can show me what to look for, also the do's and don'ts of owning one. I know the fluids have to be kept on top of as a must. 

They are a great investment at this time, especially as I plan to keep it relatively stock, new wheels, intercooler and remap upgrade. 4 doors, turbocharged, good power, 4wd and in turn, a great daily to a certain extent. Not much of a rust problem either, on imports or UK specs, but it does mean, I'd have to get rid of the Z....but, it's a turbo jap car, a friend of mine has one and has kindly said he'll let me have a go in his to get an idea of what they are like to drive. 

• Like 1