200sx S14a Next Car??

eroll_350z

15 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

I can imagine the RS13 being immense to drive too with all that kit! 

What made you choose the 350 as the best? Because it's newer?

Like I said beforehand, I won't be looking to run ridiculous bhp through it, fairly standard, nice set of springs, exhaust and wheels, pretty much like my 350z, with the bonus of having an SR. 

It was pretty awesome, it has to be said, I think the propshaft and the bootlid were about the only standard parts on the car :lol:

350 was just a better all round package - the 200's were probably faster in a straight line but not round corners and didnt have anything like the comfort and refinement. It also worked all the time, but then TBF it was pretty standard so thats not really a fair comparison. 

As others have said, if you fancy one then go for it ....... but as a weekend car, there are a lot of things out there that would do the daily duties better IMO. Including a 350Z. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docwra said:

It was pretty awesome, it has to be said, I think the propshaft and the bootlid were about the only standard parts on the car :lol:

350 was just a better all round package - the 200's were probably faster in a straight line but not round corners and didnt have anything like the comfort and refinement. It also worked all the time, but then TBF it was pretty standard so thats not really a fair comparison. 

As others have said, if you fancy one then go for it ....... but as a weekend car, there are a lot of things out there that would do the daily duties better IMO. Including a 350Z. ;)

As Jetpilot said, it could just be an itch j have to scratch before I realise either what terrible mistake I made by selling the Z or a great choice I made. Can only tell by doing! To throw a spanner in the works now, along with s14s, I have been looking at Toyota Chasers also. Can't beat a bit of 1JZ noise! 

3 hours ago, coldel said:

They can be, it is a very common conversion, but i will be honest,  I wouldn't know how to do it on my own, and the labour charge for that, I dread to think how much that would be! I'd  either like to have one that's already been converted or a factory manual.

Edited by eroll_350z

3 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

They can be, it is a very common conversion, but i will be honest,  I wouldn't know how to do it on my own, and the labour charge for that, I dread to think how much that would be! I'd  either like to have one that's already been converted or a factory manual.

Sticking a 350z box in mine as the standard manual isn't that tough. The problem is getting all the pedals etc as they are rare to see up for sale and can cost a few quid, or you can be an idiot like me and try and make 350z stuff fit.... somehow.

You only live once eroll!! My dad did say to me once " if you have always wanted a particular car and never got round to owning one, you'll always wonder with a hint of regret ". He wasn't wrong. I don't regret buying my Pulsar for one second now. it's currently having a complete rebuild to which i'm starting to see the end of the tunnel. Really looking forward to getting it back on the road. 

If you've always wanted an S14, go for it and represent! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

I can imagine the RS13 being immense to drive too with all that kit! 

What made you choose the 350 as the best? Because it's newer?

Like I said beforehand, I won't be looking to run ridiculous bhp through it, fairly standard, nice set of springs, exhaust and wheels, pretty much like my 350z, with the bonus of having an SR. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

You only live once eroll!! My dad did say to me once " if you have always wanted a particular car and never got round to owning one, you'll always wonder with a hint of regret ". He wasn't wrong. I don't regret buying my Pulsar for one second now. it's currently having a complete rebuild to which i'm starting to see the end of the tunnel. Really looking forward to getting it back on the road. 

If you've always wanted an S14, go for it and represent! 

Your dad sounds like a wise man with them words. It's better to do it and regret it or love it, than to not do it at all! There is an import for sale that is not far from me and it's tempting! 

How long do your think before your Pulsar is back?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Sticking a 350z box in mine as the standard manual isn't that tough. The problem is getting all the pedals etc as they are rare to see up for sale and can cost a few quid, or you can be an idiot like me and try and make 350z stuff fit.... somehow.

If you believe something will happen, it will happen! Do you not have to get clucth conversation kits to make the 350z box fit or is it a straight swap? (Or is that wishful thinking? :lol:

For the kit I bought you get an adapter plate that you fit between the gearbox and engine (some plates you have to cut the gearbox housing which I wasn’t for) then you use a s15 flywheel and clutch, cut the gear shifter linkage and shorten it so it lines up with the hole for the gear leaver in the car, then you have to modify the down pipe so it doesn’t catch on the larger gearbox. Plus bash the trans tunnel a bit so the thing fits. And lastly you need some gps device to send a speed signal to the dash, as the old gearbox had a speed sensor built in.

16 minutes ago, evilscorp said:

For the kit I bought you get an adapter plate that you fit between the gearbox and engine (some plates you have to cut the gearbox housing which I wasn’t for) then you use a s15 flywheel and clutch, cut the gear shifter linkage and shorten it so it lines up with the hole for the gear leaver in the car, then you have to modify the down pipe so it doesn’t catch on the larger gearbox. Plus bash the trans tunnel a bit so the thing fits. And lastly you need some gps device to send a speed signal to the dash, as the old gearbox had a speed sensor built in.

Wow, so yeah, a bit of modification needed! How are you getting on with it now?

9 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Some say this is  the best forum around ......... but go look at the tech sections on SXOC.com, we were doing it back in 2001 ;)

Theres a good guide on there somewhere, standard S14 box is good for up to about 400hp :)

On 4/27/2018 at 13:09, eroll_350z said:

Your dad sounds like a wise man with them words. It's better to do it and regret it or love it, than to not do it at all! There is an import for sale that is not far from me and it's tempting! 

How long do your think before your Pulsar is back?

Probably a couple of months, got everything else just waiting for a piston and con-rod set to come over from the states and i'm more or less ready to rock! 

7 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

Probably a couple of months, got everything else just waiting for a piston and con-rod set to come over from the states and i'm more or less ready to rock! 

Ah nice man! Bet you're itching to get it ready! I think I've decided on what I'm going to do regarding the s14. I'm going to keep my Z for now and possibly in the upcoming months, purchase an S body, simply for a small project/weekend car, same sort of idea, nothing crazy power wise, just as a fun car to drive on the weekends/to shows. Makes sense rather than trying to daily an s body and risk the problems, but I'm looking forward to it none the less! 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, eroll_350z said:

Ah nice man! Bet you're itching to get it ready! I think I've decided on what I'm going to do regarding the s14. I'm going to keep my Z for now and possibly in the upcoming months, purchase an S body, simply for a small project/weekend car, same sort of idea, nothing crazy power wise, just as a fun car to drive on the weekends/to shows. Makes sense rather than trying to daily an s body and risk the problems, but I'm looking forward to it none the less! 

Good plan! I think you'll appreciate it more when it's a weekend car. I once had an ST185 GT-four that i drove everyday to work. it was standard, then i rebuilt it into a track slag with a shed load of power/stripped out and dear Jesus, that was heavy going as a daily. Not doing that again. I think i had water pump failure, alternator failure, timing issues -luckily the 3S-GTE is a non interference engine - then ignition issues, blown turbo. It went on and on. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

Oh i rebuilt the whole thing, Engine, suspension components, everything. Turbo was a hybrid ball bearing all mapped on a MoTeC Mpro  @ Fensport. 

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

330hp @ the fly. Did a 12.8 @ Santa pod which was the best run. On track it was pretty good. Cornered like a house fly

Yes, a bit of a pain as a daily but it was an easy car to work on. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

3 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

Oh i rebuilt the whole thing, Engine, suspension components, everything. Turbo was a hybrid ball bearing all mapped on a MoTeC Mpro  @ Fensport. 

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

330hp @ the fly. Did a 12.8 @ Santa pod which was the best run. On track it was pretty good. Cornered like a house fly

Yes, a bit of a pain as a daily but it was an easy car to work on. 

Oh I bet that was tonnes of fun to race around in. Yeah unfortunately like coldel says, photobucket doesn't work, but I'll be wanting to see what it looks like. 

Any plans for more track days once it's all up and running?