Newbie!! What's it worth

Jaystarr

Hi all

loving the content I am seeing in the forum...

i am wanting some some advice as I am buying a 2008 350z convertible with 50k on the clock.

I have wanted one for years and he wants £7,000 for it and I am unsure if that is a reasonable price as you don't see many up for sale.. 

the only problems with the car is the rear tyres need replacing and the roof has a couple of holes

Thanks in advance.

Jaystarr

Hi Payco... 

unfortunately there is no advert because it's a mutual friend that hasn't put it up for sale yet. 

I know it would be a bit of a wiffy estimate on the value. Just thought I would get a rough idea.

I notice there's not many of them around. Are they not very sought after cars or are the coupes just better?

thanks

jaystarr 

Price seems reasonable for a HR with 50k on the clock, i know cabs demand less of a premium but still....

Didn't someone on here recently have their roof done for sub £500.00? I think you'd be sticking an extra grand in for tyres and to get it water tight which see's you at 8k for a HR cab with 50k on the clock, I've seen them up at more with more miles.

33 minutes ago, Hayd350 said:

Price seems reasonable for a HR with 50k on the clock, i know cabs demand less of a premium but still....

Didn't someone on here recently have their roof done for sub £500.00? I think you'd be sticking an extra grand in for tyres and to get it water tight which see's you at 8k for a HR cab with 50k on the clock, I've seen them up at more with more miles.

This is what I like to hear. And gives me confidence with buying one. 

I shall browse through the gallary and get some ideas for what mods to do.

i have wanted one of these for over 10 years now 

thanks 

Welcome to the forum!

If the one you are looking at is a 313 HR then they are quite rare. Mine was a 2007 HR roadster and if I remember rightly there was only a couple of hundred of them made compared to the coupes. When I bought mine I had to pay a premium for the roadster as there was only 2 for sale within 100 miles of my house.

I'm not sure what prices are like at the moment, but they have tended to have held their value quite well over the last few years. Checking on ebay/pistonheads/autotrader can give you a rough idea of asking prices for that year/model.

Besides roof & tyres id check service history, as well as those items which need doing outside of normal servicing, such as spark plugs etc.

They are great cars, I had loads of fun in mine.

1 minute ago, Jaystarr said:

This is what I like to hear. And gives me confidence with buying one. 

I shall browse through the gallary and get some ideas for what mods to do.

i have wanted one of these for over 10 years now 

thanks 

Obviously condition plays a big part, plenty of help on here and buying guides so ask away. Receipts are always good, see what major

things have been done, i dare say you'd not have to worry about the clutch considering the relatively low mileage. Bit of common sense and the usual checks, friend or not it's still 7k that you going to want to spend wisely.

New roof skin can stand you about £850 for a mohair upgrade. If you can get him to knock a few quid off towards it and the rest of the car checks out service schedule and maintenance wise i'd say its a decent buy.

Tires, well that's just something we all have to buy at one stage so I never worry, unless they are brand new I always change them for decent rubber right off the bat just for peace of mind. Best bit of advice I got on here before buying mine was car + value of known bits needed (if any) + £1000 just for unexpected stuff. Don't just buy for the sake of buying it, buy the right one. There are loads of member cars worth a look which have a verified and traceable history.

Buy with your head and not your heart ;)  

Price sounds about right if the roof was okay. As previously said, the going rate for a decent roof replacement is £850 fitted for mohair (worth the extra few pounds). I've just had mine done and it has transformed my 2007 (34k miles) 350z. The 2008 has the better engine. The colour affects the price too. I wanted Azure blue and ended up paying £500 over the odds as it was the only one available at the time with under 50k miles on the clock (I waited 6 months to get the right car for me). One of the main things to look out for apart from hood condition is the hood mechanism. Check it goes up and down as it should. The door windows should drop about 10mm when the doors are opened and rise the same 10mm when the doors are closed. If this doesn't happen it will mean new or reconditioned window motors are needed apparently.  You have no timing belt change at 60k miles to worry about as it's a timing chain so servicing should be straight forward.

The owner of one car I looked claimed it had had a recent service but the engine oil was black. Check the dip stick. Modifications detract from the price so when you do modify your car keep the original bits to replace when you come to sell it. There is virtually no depreciation on a 2008 350z roadster as long as the condition is maintained. My car is worth what I paid for it 2 years ago ;) Road tax is over £500 so bear this in mind. 

Edited by D350z