OBX Individual Throttle Bodies

andybp

On 13/06/2018 at 18:59, andybp said:

I agree it does look the dogs danglies but I am somewhat biased :lol:

:)

Anymore progress?

I now have the UTEC fully working in my car and the Wideband reader installed, strangly the UTEC isn't showing the widebands reading in the logs is this something you come across?

16 hours ago, Jake.Lowther said:

Anymore progress?

I now have the UTEC fully working in my car and the Wideband reader installed, strangly the UTEC isn't showing the widebands reading in the logs is this something you come across?

yes you have to go to the tuner menu and log through that to include the afr data, check your email I sent you the manual 

Oh and no. no more progress slowly slowly catchee monkee as the saying goes and sadly most of my projects :lol:

This project has been a bit slow lately as I've had some issues mainly with the idle air valve which I had to install since going over to a cable throttle and air intake temps as the intakes are right above the exhaust manifolds

The idle air valve was causing fluctuations in the map signal that the ecu uses for load as there was a common vacuum manifold, I now have a seperate manifold I made for the idle air with 6 separate lines going to the intake runners with another 6 going to the runners for the common vacuum manifold which connects to the brake servo, fuel pressure regulator and map sensor that's a lot of plumbing so I did one in yellow lines one in black.

IMG_20180622_175951.jpg.17d6bb03b66e2361e993eebe477a775a.jpg

IMG_20180622_175937.jpg.fd7f7c00535e27b39943057a1596e8ff.jpg

IMG_20180622_175941.jpg.9a079ed3ee204277b9acaf19dce13c52.jpg

As for the high air intake temps I'm undecided, I either need to find the space to duct cold air in or vent the bonnet I'm open to suggestions but bear in mind that I'd like to keep it subtle 

• Like 2

Hey, been folliwing this (and your DIY topic) with interest.

At one point, I was wondering maybe one day (with money, time and a CNC machine or two :p) if I could do it to mine, and kind of had a thought about cutting the "grooves" out of the bonnet, and replacing those with mesh to get cold air in there. Not sure if that'd let too much water in as well, though...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ben–350Z said:

Hey, been folliwing this (and your DIY topic) with interest.

At one point, I was wondering maybe one day (with money, time and a CNC machine or two :p) if I could do it to mine, and kind of had a thought about cutting the "grooves" out of the bonnet, and replacing those with mesh to get cold air in there. Not sure if that'd let too much water in as well, though...

most of it is doable with basic tools and then things which were a bit of a pig you could just buy from jenvey then you just need a new ecu and a bucket full of patience (maybe 2 buckets) buying the obx kit and a new ecu with all of the other parts you'd need you could do it for about £2500 if you did all the work yourself

Go on you know you want to ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is still on-going but I'm still having issues with high inlet air temperatures so far I've fitted insulating washers to the fuel rail brackets which has reduced the temperature of the fuel rails, fitted a motorbike cooling fan in where the standard airbox used to be which dropped the air intake temps by about 5 deg and the idle air valve now draws air in from the same place as the cooling fan so idle in traffic is now good until you touch the accelerator and it sucks in hot air from the engine bay I'm trying not to put vents in the bonnet but running out of options

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Flashback said:

I know this is a bit of an off the wall idea Andy, but could you run a kind of fridge in the engine bay by making some adiabatic pipe work and then run off the heat else where away from the engine bay?

I think that to extract the heat as opposed to just releasing it ie by venting the bonnet will use a lot of power if there was a simple way of getting rid of the heat then our aircon wouldn't use such a large amount of engine power but I like your thinking though :thumbs:

as it happens I've been re-arranging things in the engine bay to try and allow room to duct cold air to the inlet in fact I was making progress until the missus got me putting up curtains :lol:

7 hours ago, Flashback said:

Haha it's curtains for you! I wonder then maybe if there's a non engine powered way you could circulate a fluid. Could something be propelled simply by air flow that could in turn move a pump?

Trouble is it's only really a problem in traffic or when i'm not moving when there is no airflow, when i'm moving it's not too bad

17 minutes ago, Bakkums said:

Something like this may help

350z ITB

It would that's a vq35 but that's not a 350z bay it's in and I just don't have the clearance even after moving the vacuum manifold but I'm getting there.

IMG_20180716_172735.jpg.cabac8b6f95171fc819de8fd9ce1a496.jpg

IMG_20180716_172723.jpg.517d95c3740322c2e44147f8b177b93e.jpg

2 hours ago, Bakkums said:

The standard plenum doesn't have that much clearance past the end of the air intake runners, so unless the trumpets are longer, something like that with less clearance to the trumpets should be possible.

Maybe starting with aluminium sheet as a backing plate attached between the throttle bodies and the trumpets, and then fabricate a box containing a circular inlet that will fasten to this.

Ideally you want to feed cool air in from a high air pressure area such as through the grille.

If they will fit a DE, I'd use two 350Z HR air-boxes and then connect these to the boxes surrounding the trumpets.

The HR air-boxes could then be fed by something like the EVO-R cold air intake.  See my efforts on my DE:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/GrahameJ/media/IMG_2404_zpsvx8xzzzi.jpg.html

1 hour ago, GrahameJ said:

The standard plenum doesn't have that much clearance past the end of the air intake runners, so unless the trumpets are longer, something like that with less clearance to the trumpets should be possible.

Maybe starting with aluminium sheet as a backing plate attached between the throttle bodies and the trumpets, and then fabricate a box containing a circular inlet that will fasten to this.

Ideally you want to feed cool air in from a high air pressure area such as through the grille.

If they will fit a DE, I'd use two 350Z HR air-boxes and then connect these to the boxes surrounding the trumpets.

The HR air-boxes could then be fed by something like the EVO-R cold air intake.  See my efforts on my DE:

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/GrahameJ/media/IMG_2404_zpsvx8xzzzi.jpg.html

Don't get me wrong I agree it's do-able but I'm not going to enclose it as I find it aesthetically pleasing for now I'm just going to continue to optimise space around the trumpets and then decide 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andybp said:

Don't get me wrong I agree it's do-able but I'm not going to enclose it as I find it aesthetically pleasing for now I'm just going to continue to optimise space around the trumpets and then decide 

Agreed, I can't see all the work I did on the interior of my plenum :)

18 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

Could some cam cover heat shields be made up then just pipe air over them?

yea I did consider this among many other options for now I'm going to move as much out of the way as possible then I've got some really thin sheet ally I can bend by hand to mock up whatever solution seems best

basically I'm winging it :lol:

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Bakkums said:

:snack:Any updates 

No not much lately been concentrating on the air ride although I do have air ducted in from the original air intake to the front of the engine which has dropped air temps. I'll get back to it once i get the suspension sorted

• Like 1

May be a stupid suggestion but what about small mini ducted fans with some ducting pipe bringing cold air from outside into the bay, could be discreetly installed wouldn't have to go right to the intake trumpets.

Would lower the temps a small amount, anything creating air flow in the bay will bring the air temps down. Like the old BMWs had belt powered cooling fans.