Performance Mods question

SiriusProjects

Having just bought an auto, I would say it is excellent, but it’s nowhere near as good as a dsg box in a golf/Audi. The 370z auto is very easy to drive especially in traffic, but I test drove a new Nismo with a manual box, and that was also a very nice drive. So unfortunately it will come down to personal preference, but either way I guarantee you, you won’t be disappointed either way:thumbs:

I drive a manual but wouldn’t say no to the paddle shifting, those lightening gear changes must be fun and make the car a lot quicker. 

My 370Z is around 360bhp with the exhaust/intake mods, once remapped it gains a fair bit of usable torque and is a fair bit faster than any stock 370Z and more competitive. It just about rivals today’s hot hatches, but A shorter final drive like in the Nismo would have been great. It’s not the fastest car to chose if you want outright performance such as 400bhp+ but the car/ V6 engine has more character and is more fun than alternatives that so can think of sub 15k-20k. I paid 18k for a low mileage 2011 GT Edition and stuck a 2015-2018 nismo kit on to make it look a bit fresher.  I think the GT Edition list price was 35k new but if I had 30k budget, I’d not buy a brand new one or a nismo either when there’s so many other V6, V8s namely the BMWs etc within budget that are equally as fun and faster. 

Of course I have two different dyno charts and sheets. 360bhp is based on 313.5whp approx on the hub dyno then multiplied by 15%. Or even 311whp x 1.15 = 357bhp. What the exact drivechain loss is I don’t know, Abbey would know better and might say it’s more accurately like 355bhp. But mine made pretty much the same 313/314 peak whp on the same Abbey dyno 1 year apart. On a same day before & after comparison my stock intake setup proved to give better overall gains and torque than the Z1 CAI I had installed before it, and no real loss top end, depending on where the markers are set. Its quite possible for the CAIs to make 2-3bhp more top end but comparing my two dynos, it seems like you sacrifice a bit of power throughout the Rev range and a bunch more torque too. It seems like only at the redline these CAIs make their claimed figures. 

My setup is by no means optimised either. There are 3” cat backs and other less restrictive systems than my Ark Grip, I have stock TBs and no headers or upgrades inlet manifolds. 

If you look into the Z1 400bhp kit, at least in the states they claim somewhere near 400bhp is possible. I’ve not seen anything near that over here and that’s only if you’re willing to spend considerably more money on upgrading the headers, larger TBs, both top and bottom inlet porting upgrades or the Motordyne M370.  If we assume my car made even 355bhp with stock intake (ish) setup, ART decat pipes and Ark Grip, then 370bhp is certainly possible with the upgrades I mentioned. I think the Motordyne shockwave or a true 3” could give another 5-10 bhp on it’s own. My Fast intentions Cat back was less restrictive in design, but  too loud for me. 

Ive been told by Abbey that even the newest 370Z nismo, in reality and on the dyno does not make more than a regular 370Zs 330bhp or so. It doesn’t make much sense to me either when they advertise and claim to make 345-350bhp out of the factory right? I think Mark might have said they are allowed a certain margin for error. 370Zs tend to fall short of claimed figures anyway. The Nismo is still quicker because it has a shorter final drive ratio, it might be a bit lighter too. The Nismo exhaust is a bit more free flowing but not as much as Aftermarket options.  I’ve not seen any dyno charts of Nismos, stock or otherwise. But I think aside from the FD, they have virtually the same potential for engine output once remapped. I have the full nismo body kit installed anyway, I love the seats and it has superior chassis, handling etc but otherwise I don’t think a Nismo is that much faster to justify buying a new one. But if you do have the budget and want the best, I can see why it’s appealing, for the appearance alone. 

07C54D54-9BAB-4352-AA2C-ECB191D55D33.jpeg

5CE1FB95-220B-4603-93CD-A2FE2434FC85.jpeg

BDE53AFB-3F43-4EFA-B67D-B4406D5B4BF0.jpeg

81D4DCA0-3A71-486C-9C8E-FDB8F3081DFA.jpeg

Interesting stuff. I had both a 370 GT then a Mk1 Nismo with Stillen CBE, HFCs, HFCs and an uprev. I agree with you - in terms of power and straighline speed there wasn't much between them.  The main difference was actually the handling.

Get a GT Edition or 2012 plate onwards if it’s in budget, if you’ve not already chosen one. As well as the darker alloys and GT Edition vinyl it has fully revised and improved suspension/handling, sound deadening to rectify the road noise - the rear dash cam is really useful too. Many second hand owners don’t seem to realise its an entirely different production model/Edition that was released, independently reviewed etc - though the upgrades are not hugely significant. It’s not quite going to be a Nismo all round different car upgrade but, but the revised suspension alone was a great improvement.  The GT Editions listed new at 35k, up to 5k ontop of a regular Z. The so many various editions that don’t offer much more than colours etc, some get confused and value it the same as a regular GT - as they don’t know any better. I got mine last year for 18k, £2300 cat back and HFC on it, and remapped too FTW! Virtually mint condition all over and 16,000 miles, mainly from 2nd owner, the first owner sold it after only 1-2kMiles or so. So just by chance at the time, I think I got a bargain. Only after did I research and I realised it was a bit superiority the regular GTs. 

Best thing to do is as I did, buy one with reputable mods already on the car. Also it’s not cheap but the 2015-2018 nismo kit bolts onto a regular Z