Performance Mods question

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted on the forum. 

I previously owned a 350Z GT4 which unfortunately I had to sell due to losing my job. I've been getting around in a 2006 ford focus since then. However, having started a new job back in June of 2017, I am now wanting to get myself a new car. Specifically I'm looking at getting myself a 370Z and budget permitting I would like to go for a Nismo version. I think I posted a question about performance mods when I had my 350Z and just want to ask the same question about the 370Z. What sort of gains could I expect if I made some performance mods to the car? I would probably do similar to what I did with my 350Z. New exhaust system, berks HFC's and K & N air filter or similar. I think I gained about 15 bhp when I had my 350z uprevved at Horsham Developments after applying the mods. Would the increase be about the same with a 370Z? 

Will be interesting to hear your views.

Thanks.

Edited by SiriusProjects

Might not be much help but modding for numbers isn't an exact science, especially with N/A -  there's no hard and fast rule to gains. Whatever you choose to do, do it for the personal enjoyment, do it for the look, for the noise B) any numbers after that is a tidy bonus imo. Boosted cars have way better bhp/£ ratio for gains lol

PS might get better replies in the 370z section......

Edited by davey_83

Apologies for posting in the wrong section. 

15/20 bhp is what I thought it might be. 

You are right though davey_83, it is more to do with the personal enjoyment I get from making the modifications.

Performance mods are great, but my real interest is styling and that's what I will be primarily concentrating on once I've made my small performance tweaks.

Just one last thing before I forget. Should I go for a manual or automatic 370z? 

• Like 1

If you are getting a modern car get a modern gearbox, if you want something to change gear manually in, get a car that warrants the additional input, Elise, M car etc unless of course you will be spending a lot of time at the track where you can enjoy a manual, i will literally be bu**ered if i can get my head around why people want the manual experience in a car that you will spend most of the time crawling around in traffic with brief intervals of manual enjoyment.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Hi Jetpilot. I like the point you have made. I do want a 370z and yeah I want to make some performance and styling modifications to it. But now I am working again, I want to go away for weekend breaks more and I want the car I am driving to make the journey as enjoyable as the holiday itself. That's partly why I asked for everyone's thoughts as to whether I should go for a manual or automatic. A manual is great, but as you say, if your spending a lot of time stuck in traffic, your really not getting the best out of it. This is why I am considering going for an automatic. I've always liked the thought of having a automatic GT car that will happily eat up the miles and allow me to enjoy the ride more. So it's certainly something I'm seriously thinking about. 

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong, i love a decent manual, but it all depends on how you use the car, i really dont see with a car like a 370z and how you will be using it the experience would be diminished by having paddles for the brief moments you would actually think, wish i had bought a manual. Unless you are getting up at 5am for a summer blast, a regular track day attendee, paddles all the way imho.

All that said, go drive a manual and auto, see what takes your fancy, we all have our opinions, but at the end of the day, you are the one thats going to have to live with your decision :) but dont get caught up in the whole its not a drivers car nonsense because its an auto :thumbs:

It’s not though ;) 

Look, I’ll be the first person to tell you that if you want involvement then get a proper gearbox, but at the same time you need to buy what’s right for you. No one can tell you otherwise, so just try them both.

I guess the only way it could matter is if either option was particularly dreadful. However even then it’s not foolproof, as for example the majority will tell you the E63 6er manual ‘box is crap but a simple change of gearknob sorted that right out for me. 

I dont think the slushbox in the 370 is wonderful as it’s pretty dim witted compared to modern ones, but it’s far from terrible either. Plus if you’re buying a Nismo that’s irrelevant as they’re all manual anyway! 

Changing gear is over rated. Try both and then decide which you like best.  We got the auto as my wife drives the car and sitting in town traffic at rush hour constantly letting the clutch in and out is involving but not fun. 

All my fun cars have been manual and i love it, however, things have moved on and just dont subscribe to the romantic ideal of changing gear "manually", personally i think its just one of those things people love to regurgitate (on the most part, no offence Ekona i know you appreciate driving) because they have heard someone like Chris Harris or Clarkson say it and they think it makes them sound like some form of purist driving over lord, i would doubt half of them know which way to go round a track and their cars have never even see one.

• Like 1

I think it very much depends on the car. For instance, I'd only order a new non-GT 911 with PDK but I'd have a Cayman in manual. Something like a Bentley you'd only ever go auto even if it was an option. M4 I'd prob go manual (but it would be close), M240 def manual but the auto is amazing. 370 manual too, but it's not even close there. Something shopping trolley like a Golf R would be DSG for me, but I'd have a FRS in a manual. Odd, I know.

I wish the big boys would still offer a manual at least. 488 Pista with a manual 'box would be heaven, or even the 570S. The new R8 RWS would've been perfect for one too.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:03, nissanjuke said:

I have driven both and like both-especially the flappy paddles on the auto, so if the car was right it would not bother me.:thumbs:

I have owned an Auto and now a manual.

I was more than happy with the Auto, you can always use the level to manual shift if you want something to do with your left hand.

If my car was my daily and likely to be quite a lot of stop / start driving the Auto would be my choice.

But mine is just a weekend plaything so manual suits me fine now - plus it's a Nismo so there was no option anyway.

Outright speed and ease goes to modern auto boxes for sure, involvement and joy of driving a manual can't be beaten.

Good steering, spot on seating position, responsive throttle, better body control from great tyres and suspension. All these things to aid driver feel and involvement, why crave all that to then not want full involvement with the drivetrain. A sweet manual gear change is a joy to use. Three pedals for me please.

There are certainly some good arguments from both sides. I've only ever owned one car that was an automatic, but it was old and I will admit, the automatic gearbox on it was dire. My view changed though when a friend took me for a drive in their 14 plate Audi TT black edition. It was so responsive and the automatic gearbox was fantastic. Still, all these arguments could be irrelevant anyway. As a couple people on here have said, the Nismo version only comes with a manual gearbox. :lol:

11 hours ago, SiriusProjects said:

There are certainly some good arguments from both sides. I've only ever owned one car that was an automatic, but it was old and I will admit, the automatic gearbox on it was dire. My view changed though when a friend took me for a drive in their 14 plate Audi TT black edition. It was so responsive and the automatic gearbox was fantastic. Still, all these arguments could be irrelevant anyway. As a couple people on here have said, the Nismo version only comes with a manual gearbox. :lol:

Hence the reason you need to drive both. The dual clutch auto box in Audi’s is light years ahead of the agricultural auto in the Zed! My 370 is an auto, and whilst it is ok in town driving it can be very slow to change (even when being asked to change by using the paddles) when pushing on a bit. I found it so frustrating that I installed a sprint booster which improved it considerably