Storm White Paint Quality: Prone To Scratches?

hmale4yu

I have noticed some hairline scratches on my bonnet and have only covered 165 miles in my new Nismo 370z

I had noticed a couple tiny ones a week ago but when I went to wipe the car down I noticed a few more; all located on the bonnet and some in neighbouring areas. Will post photos once it stops raining and when I properly wash/wax my car tomorrow. Will take the pics in low light early evening 

Do not know what the cause of this is. No I have not been using a dirty cloth to wipe it. In fact it hasn't been washed properly yet just wiped down. Only few weeks old

Anything I can do or should I contact Nissan? At this rate the front bonnet will require a respray after a couple of yrs!

"No I have not been using a dirty cloth to wipe it. In fact it hasn't been washed properly yet just wiped down. 

Unless im miss understanding what you mean, the above could be the cause. Surely wiping a non clean car will drag dirt and debris accross the surface of the paint?

Edited by FallenAngelX

Yup, sounds like it to me. If you don't use some kind of lubricant, then you're simply pushing grit into the paint. Using a QD and a microfibre really isn't much better either, certainly not a patch on a proper wash.

Most modern paints are a lot softer now and very easily scratched.

Not sure what your definition of a wipe down is but likely you are causing the scratches if not washing the car properly.

A few years ago I had a brand new Civic Type R that was covered in scratches when I went to collect it - they were employing an 'unskilled' valeter for the delivery prep and one bad wash was enough to make it look like it has been washed with a scouring pad!

Some car buyers are even asking the delivery prep to be done by a valeter of their choice, and at their own cost I guess, to avoid their pride and joy being wrecked before they even take delivery.

A price we pay for non-solvent paints and saving the planet.

7 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Just an update but i rubbed the line and its appeared to have dissappeard. May have been some dirt that has embedded into the surface of the paint. Once I do a proper wash / wax will inspect the car for any scratches

I bought a new / pre-reg Xtrail a few months ago also in pearl white. When I came to wash it for the first time and got the step ladders out I was shocked to see what looked like bad scratches on the roof. Once my heart had slowed down I washed the roof and then lightly polished them off. I only removed the 'scratches' that I could see and it was on the surface and not in the paint, did not do the whole roof. Next time I came to wash, more of the same. Obviously they are not scratches at all and possibly just an area where the adhesive for the transport film has not been cleaned off properly and micro particles of dirt is sticking to it.

8 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Just an update but i rubbed the line and its appeared to have dissappeard. May have been some dirt that has embedded into the surface of the paint. Once I do a proper wash / wax will inspect the car for any scratches

Stop rubbing dirt into your car, that’s how you get scratches! :lol: 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 21:08, antnee said:

While cleaning it, I noticed loads of marks like these below. It looks to be left-over adhesive from the protective plastic wrap they put on cars in the factory for transport/shipping. Some polish got rid of them thankfully

40502141454_738cbf90e1_b.jpgIMG_20180401_145848224 by Anthony Molyneux, on Flickr

Do the scratches look like these? If so I think it is adhesive from the protective plastic they apply for shipping. They polish/wipe off

• 2 weeks later...

lol better off using hard paste wax to cover some of these hairline scratches. Its bound to happen and stone chips will definitely happen. Get PPF or just learn to live with it like i have. ines still in good condition. I got 3 stone chips. What can you do......Hairline scratches are normal on this soft white pain. When you open the door you can feel how soft it is....

NEVER ever wipe down the car without lubricant. The quick detail is a myth,. Wash the car first before attempting to wipe it. I use Fusso Hard paste wax. When wiping it down after application make sure cloth is wet or lubricated or youll get scratches. Why i didnt get a black car! White does a better job hiding scratches