Lost nut inside tailgate... help

MDMetal

I doubt there's much help but probably good for a laugh! I unbolted my spoiler and I've lost one of the nuts inside the tailgate void. Any thoughts on how to remove it? I've tried sliding an inspection camera inside with a magnet and although I can see it I've failed to fish it out :(

It seems to be trapped up near the 3rd brake light and seems to be fully stuck as slamming the boot doesn't loosen it.

I feel for you. I have 1 plastic securing pin and 2 nuts inside 

Without removing tailgate I doubt there is any effective way to remove it. Im driving this plastics pin and 1 nut for some time in hope they will find way out as i have removed inner tailgate plastic cover but nothing yet....

In mean time I've manage to lost 1 more nut inside

On 09/04/2018 at 17:32, OnlyAfro said:

Magnets :thumbs:

I have tried but the problem is the whole boot is also a magnetic metal so magnet on the inspection camera isn't easy to manoeuver to the right spot, guess I just need to keep trying!

I'd just pop the tailgate off, it's only 4 nuts and some loom connectors - 5 min job, then you can tip it on one side and give it a bash to dislodge the nut. Put some carpet down first and get a mate to help.

Just don't make the mistake I did and drop one of those nuts into the chassis and spend 30 mins fishing it out by holding some powerful magnets against a screwdriver on a piece of wire.

On 11/04/2018 at 12:17, OnlyAfro said:

I'd just pop the tailgate off, it's only 4 nuts and some loom connectors - 5 min job, then you can tip it on one side and give it a bash to dislodge the nut. Put some carpet down first and get a mate to help.

Just don't make the mistake I did and drop one of those nuts into the chassis and spend 30 mins fishing it out by holding some powerful magnets against a screwdriver on a piece of wire.

The tailgate weighs a ton though!