Machine polishing video tips

HEADPHONES

I see what his theory is, but all he’s doing is changing where the risk lies;

Titling the pad means there’s more heat in that part of the pad, so more risk of burning through not less, except now you risk burning through over a larger area and further away from the edge.

Not to mention the sheer amount of sling you will get everywhere by lifting a pad with compound on it! He must spend his entirely life washing off sling and buying more and more compound because he’s just firing everything he puts on pads around his workspace.

His theory is flawed in that you shouldn’t ever have the pad overhanging an edge anyway, you use the leading edge of the pad to get right up to the edge of the panel, not the centre of the pad.

Edges are always the risky area when machine polishing as the paint tends to be thinner there, but there’s never any reason to taken the pad that far over the edge of the panel, and with the appropriate taping up you’re eliminating the risk of burning through on the edges anyway.

Contours are simply a case of controlling the pressure, not lifting the pad. That is exactly why you use different sized pads, his explanation of getting into the contour is actually a demonstration that he’s simply using too large a pad for the area he’s working on.

I also just can’t trust a guy that will run a dry pad on the edge of a panel just to demonstrate a point he’s already explained in detail either *shudder*.

Sorrybut I disagree, this isn’t really good advice at all I’m afraid.

To me, that's the perfect example of hof NOT to do it. I mean, if you were super master pro extraordinaire with the delicate touch of a butterfly but with the power of Tyson to control the machine then I guess you could do it like that, but for every other person on the planet then just no.

It's almost like he's talking about using the leading edge of the pad to gain maximum control (which is correct technique), but then just takes it one step further and borks the whole process.

This is why I love the OC.

Lots of brains to pick on many subjects.

I've never done proper correction, only using my orbital polisher with finishing pads to apply glazes or SRP to the zeds rear to fill swirls where my hand marks the paint on opening the boot.

Oh yeah......and machining my headlights with a firmer pad and some fine Menzera compound.

Every day is a school day as they say :thumbs: