Meguiars Ultimate Compound in the scheme of things

Gorbash

Soooo I thought I knew how to wash a car, but as I read here I'm bit of a noob :lol:

Reading through Dave's guide to a Simple guide to car detailing, I will buy some of those products and get going on a good wash.

Could I get some advice on where Meguiars Ultimate Compound fits into things?

I have a 2004 model and the paint looked a tad dull with some circular scuffing, so I bought the compound to restore the paint.

Recently I had my car washed by Lellars, and she looked great. Today I went down to the Shell near me and did a quick wash with the pressure hose and brush, but I missed big patches and the brush didn't quite get it 100% clean and now she looks like shyte... :yuck: So as I mentioned, gonna go with the forums advice and do it myself with good ol elbow grease :D Just some help with the compound would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Lots of guides on here as you say but a few tips...Don't use a brush on paintwork, or sponges, or chamois leathers! Compound has some effect but its temporary as most are full of fillers that make the paint look good but ultimately wash out (Megs is one of these I believe). Megs stuff is 'okay' but the well respected brands can be bought online, I like to use Polished Bliss as it has free postage and good prices. Also check traders on here who sell detailing products.

To get the scuffs (I presume you mean like swirl marks) you will probably need a DA to generate the heat for the compounds/polish to work effectively, unless they are really minor marks.

But for simple at home starter where you don't have a hose you can get a good shampoo (I really rate Gyeon Bathe+) clean the car down, then get yourself a clay mitt and use it to get all contaminants off, then you can go through multiple different ways of polishing/waxing loads of products but do both stages and it will look miles better.