LHS Knocking noise.

Beefy

Hey all,

Swapped my ratty old suspension for some MeisterR's today/yesterday.

Took it out for a bit of a drive, tweaked height, rebound, etc. Nice solid coilovers by the way!

Anyway, noticed that fully left hand down lock that there is knocking from the left hand side.

Almost sounds like someone is hitting the underside with a small spanner...

Knocking on the left hand side is also more pernounced, and when I took the original shock out for that side, the arm would barely move down to get the shock out (Even with upper arm removed, had to compress coil springs in the end to remove).

Still drives, steers and brakes true. Some mild vibration when turning steering on the spot, but my power steering pump isnt amazing...

Do you guys think it could be Banana arm?
Any other thought would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Beefy

14 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

How do you know the banana arms are in perfect order ?

Sorry, should have clarified, rubber bushings are in perfect order from what I can see.
Arm is located well in the center of the bushing.

Knock seems to be coming from further inboard the car than the arm. Almost sound like it's coming from inside the bay to me...

It could be the ball joint on the banana arm ... notoriously difficult to diagnose ... start by removing the drop links, if the clunk persists, put the drop links back on and change the banana bar

22 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

It could be the ball joint on the banana arm ... notoriously difficult to diagnose ... start by removing the drop links, if the clunk persists, put the drop links back on and change the banana bar

I'll give it a shot :)

Cheers!

Update,

Lazyness has stopped me from checking, but noticed no knocking noise at high speed, even over fairly large potholes. At lower speeds, even the smallest pothole will give me a clunk or a knock.

8 hours ago, Beefy said:

Update,

Lazyness has stopped me from checking, but noticed no knocking noise at high speed, even over fairly large potholes. At lower speeds, even the smallest pothole will give me a clunk or a knock.

That is typical banana arm symptoms as the knock is usually only heard on rough surfaces at low speed.

Unfortunately, worm ball joints on the banana arm cannot be detected in the usual manner (visually, on  a ramp with a pry bar)

If nothing else is showing signs of wear, it will be the banana arm ball joint giving you the knock.

Plenty in stock if required, 

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex.

• Thanks 2