Another idle problem

gareth29

To put his in context the car has had this problem since i got it - 5 years ago. I have posted before on here but never managed to sort it.  Anyway, now that it is my daily, the problem is really bugging me. 

Usually the car will behave fine, it will idle around 700 with ac off, a bit more with it on and the revs will fall correctly when changing gear.

Quite often though, when warm, the idle will sit at 1500 and returns behaving normally in its own time.

Ive done the idle air learning loads of times, most recently yesterday after removing the tb and taking off the black cover and lubricating the gearing in case it was jamming (I also cleaned the tb after I had removed the gear between the motor and the butterfly).

I'm now wondering if its a problem with the throttle position sensor on the throttle body or with the accelerator position sensor?

Cheers Chris, I've done all that and I even tried some silicone to seal the end of the accordion - made no no diff. Cleaned the pcv as well and the maf seems to be working ok cos when I unplug it the engine runs very poorly.

Its like the revs are being held at the same point each time (around 1500), when it starts misbehaving - makes me think its something electronic - but the mil would come on surely?

• 1 month later...

Been round all the earth points in the engine bay, cleaned the straps and replaced most of the bolts. It did seem to make a difference for a bit (imagination?) but now its definitely back to normal.

Wondered if it could be a problem the the VVT?  It seems to work ok at high revs but if it was faulty could it cause it idle at 1500?