8j Rays on rear? / 8.5j on front?

Luke0549

Hi,

Bought my zed and it is going to be a 80% track car, 20% road car.

its currently on 245/45/18 tyres (which need changing soon)

had a look today and its got 8j front rays and 8.5j rear. standard.

would it be best if running a square tyre set up to run front and rear wheels the same size?

and if so, would it be best to run 8j all round or 8.5j all round, assume tyre size is kept as 245/45/18.

if the contact area is the same, surely it would be better to run the slightly lighter 8js?

cheers.

Have run this set up myself for track work and its very good.

The standard Rays are really light wheels, there can't be much in the weights front to back but 245 is probably max width you wanna run on 8" wheel so I went with all round 8.5" rears for better fit.

Had 245/40 fronts and 245/45 rears and as said it was a good set up.............only down side is having 2 full sets of wheels for the rears only and stashing 4 fronts somewhere!

4 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Have run this set up myself for track work and its very good.

The standard Rays are really light wheels, there can't be much in the weights front to back but 245 is probably max width you wanna run on 8" wheel so I went with all round 8.5" rears for better fit.

Had 245/40 fronts and 245/45 rears and as said it was a good set up.............only down side is having 2 full sets of wheels for the rears only and stashing 4 fronts somewhere!

Why did you run 245/40 front and 245/45 rear?

If you've got the space it might be worth buying a second set, then you can always sell them on if you change as just 2 rears you might own forever.

Went with those tyres as they are the right sizes for the 8.5" wheel, my choice of Yoko AD08's are available in that size, no issues with traction control etc when on road and work great on track

46 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Went with those tyres as they are the right sizes for the 8.5" wheel, my choice of Yoko AD08's are available in that size, no issues with traction control etc when on road and work great on track

what i mean is why the lower profile 40 up front?

what does this achieve? less understeer?

59 minutes ago, Luke0549 said:

what i mean is why the lower profile 40 up front?

what does this achieve? less understeer?

It'll keep the rolling radius of the tyres pretty close to OEM and won't therefore trouble the traction control.

1 hour ago, KyleR said:

It'll keep the rolling radius of the tyres pretty close to OEM and won't therefore trouble the traction control.

This......and

I think the 40 profile with 245/255 tyres is the sweet spot for the front end, good feel and bite from using these. Never got on as well with 35's on 19" wheels.

• 10 months later...

Thought I’d bring up this thread as I’m on my way to moving to a 8.5J square set up after buying and refurbing some new rear rays to fit when my current tyres wear out.

The Z is a very occasional weekend toy and will be seen more and more frequently on a track. 

I’ve therefore upgraded my plans to go from Goodyear EF1 AS3s to Yoko AD08Rs - question is whether to go with 245/40r18s all round or whether to push to the limit and fit 255/35r18s all round. I’ve seen on a chart on 8.5Js ideal width is 245 and max is 255 - as prices are similar any opinions on which sizes would provide most grip whilst keeping grip levels progressive rather than snappy?

Also would 255s actually fit without issues on the front?