Classic car insurance ?

Getoiu

In UK a modern classic is a car over 15 years of age. I used to have an MX5 (96') and was insured as a classic and there were plenty of mk2's from the 2000s also insured with Adrian Flux and Footman James. I've inquired about the Z and they said that they couldn't quote. Also I know that some insures can insure 10 year old vehicles as modern classics as people insure their E90 M3's. 

That's why I wondered if there's any classic insured 350Z's. 

What is a Modern Classic Car is a very subjective and debatable subject with no definitive answer.

In answer to your original question, the 350Z is not termed as a classic for insurance purposes.

This is a good read:   https://drivetribe.com/p/what-defines-a-modern-classic-XHDlX2PJQH6KRLDhyn9nBQ?iid=ExJzKzv0S5yqTWL3HoT12A

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From that article a few of the key points to deem classic were. 

Iconic

Sought after

Character

For me the 350 ticks all those boxes 

Iconic - Yeah, the return of the Z cars, featured in many 'popular' skid films. Was the focus of one of the biggest Playstation games and spawned the birth of the GT Academy. Plus a profile that from whatever angle you see one, you just know what it is.

Sought After - People are still buying them, value seems to be holding quite well. I'd bet a lot could be sold for what you paid after 3 years

Character - As per the article, all of the 350's on here have a story and their owners have that special bond. How often do you park up at the shops and as you walk away you just look back and smile ? Even those who ventured to other cars still seem to get the bug and come back for more. Not to mention all the little 'quirks' the 350 has.

I may be biased, but if we can't deem the Z a classic now, then surely in the next 5 years tops they will be.

As mentioned above, Modern classics can be anything over 15yrs old, that obviously covers the early DE's so can only be a matter of time....   

Edited by Willsy1980

I managed to get a classic policy on my mk2 mr2 last year when it was 20 years old. Insured it for around 200

Taken from confused.com classic car page:

What counts as a classic car?

All pre-1960 cars are exempt from road tax, but many other factors are taken into account when determining if a car is a ‘classic’ – not just its age.
  • In the UK, there is no fixed age group that a classic car must fit into. For insurance purposes a classic car can be any car that is older than 15 years.
  • These are often known as modern classics, and can be considered as a classic car despite their age, e.g. a 1989 Volkswagen Golf GTI.
  • It’s up to the insurer whether they class the car as a classic, which is why it’s always good to compare a range of providers and prices.

There has been a long running debate on what qualifies a car as a classic, with many feeling that age alone is not enough. The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs has outlined new guidance from the Department of Transport stating that a vehicle will be deemed historic with a 30 year threshold.