What oil for track use?

Rshep1

19 hours ago, Rshep1 said:

What's the recommendations for viscosity and brand?

That will depend on a few factors including if you are NA - Supercharged, Turbo or Forged, DE or HR and mileage motor. etc.

I have assumed its an N/a DE or HR car but would stay with the same oil for both.

How would your oil advice vary across the options listed Alex?  Good info to have on here 

Personally wouldn't use any 5w30 in anything for track work, too thin for sustained high temps

Agree using quality oils is paramount wouldn't dream of using poor quality oil in any rating.

I know, as everything, this is one of those things if we've had no issues then stick with what you're happy with but the issue I've always had with 5w30's is they're so so thin at 20degrees that I can't imagine what its like at 100degrees all day long on a trackday. Offering such a thin layer of oil between heavily loaded surfaces in the engine just makes me feel uncomfortable so always gone with 10w40 upwards

Millers recommend 5w30/40 for normal road use (so that's what's in the Mrs's Ford Focus) and the 10w50 for trackday use in both 350z and Vxr220 as me and my brother both use currently and I also used it in my forged 400hp Evo 5 before that. Never have any oil usage and when inspecting the engine after years of heavy use (the Evo) no signs of wear at all.........so always recommend Millers based on this

Thanks for the advice guys. It's a DE n/a. Have been recommended by a few mates that drift to use Lucas 10w60 but I feel that may be overkill slightly. 

Should I be looking for fully synthetic or semi synthetic?