Respray advice.

1 hour ago, SHEZZA said:

Not if it’s a complete rear quarter you can’t. Still sounds a little steep though. 

a little steep :scare:...come on that is the most expensive repair I have heard of for a panel (8k ?!)....800 would have been steep :surrender:

Edited by valy

Does the fix include a full respray? That's how I interpreted the original comment up top? As in fix the panel and fix the bad respray.

But in any case £8k based on what we know on this thread is outrageous, you may as well sell the car and buy another one.

• Like 1

Personally for £8K I'd want another 350Z thrown in. :lol: 

Welcome aboard MONKEYSOCKS. :welcome:

When I owned my 350Z I started getting rust bubbles on the drivers side rear quarter by the wheel arch (common problem). The affected area was repaired but it came back again so this time the bodyshop did the job properly and cut out a large chunk of my rear quarter which was then replaced. 

Unfortunately 6 months later the bubbles were starting to reappear again but by this point I was changing the car so left it up to the dealers I traded it in with to whether they attempted another fix. It's very difficult, ...read that as expensive, to fix once it starts there. :dry:

wrapping is basically a skin of high quality vinyl that is applied all over the car and sits as a skin giving you a new colour for alot less than a respray. it will usually last 3-5 years if looked after, and any damage to the skin can be replaced by having a single panel reskinned. If you get bored you just have it removed and the paint should be fine underneath it just needs a good clean afterwards, or just swap it for a new colour!

ive not had it done myself but i know alot of people who have, @Jay.1r has his 350 in purple and his lady has her civic in a deep metallic green and both were done at APM Customs in Deeside.

http://www.apmcustoms.co.uk/

Might be worth looking into as an alternative. 

Hi mate, yes me and the Mrs both have ours wrapped, but just remember, any imperfections will show through, something I didn't realise how thin the vinyl is, I mean slight scratches not even that deep will, also if the paints bubbling the vinyl won't stick properly, I have had mine a year now the Mrs has had 2, the colour is like the day we got it, and the job from Apm was amazing not one bit of peeling, but both are due a front end rewrap after that time for stone chips, any questions feel free to pm, wrapping is a brilliant cheap alternative, although it will never shine like paint, if I did it again I would pay more and have it wrapped again in a clear vinyl to protect it from chips and enhance the gloss (although the quote for the protective film.for the front bumper alone was £350 !),mine cost near enough £2400 and hers was a little less at £2100, for the wraps with a 5 year colour and peel guarantee

12 hours ago, m4nn13 said:

wrapping is basically a skin of high quality vinyl that is applied all over the car and sits as a skin giving you a new colour for alot less than a respray. it will usually last 3-5 years if looked after, and any damage to the skin can be replaced by having a single panel reskinned. If you get bored you just have it removed and the paint should be fine underneath it just needs a good clean afterwards, or just swap it for a new colour!

ive not had it done myself but i know alot of people who have, @Jay.1r has his 350 in purple and his lady has her civic in a deep metallic green and both were done at APM Customs in Deeside.

http://www.apmcustoms.co.uk/

Might be worth looking into as an alternative. 

+1 for APM Customs. My son did some work experience there (filming not wrapping) and they are a highly professional outfit and all around good guys. Their premises are immaculately clean and have a dedicated clean room for wrapping. They are located in a couple of different places but Deeside is the HQ, that's where I would take my car if I was going to have it wrapped. 

5 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

+1 for APM Customs. My son did some work experience there (filming not wrapping) and they are a highly professional outfit and all around good guys. Their premises are immaculately clean and have a dedicated clean room for wrapping. They are located in a couple of different places but Deeside is the HQ, that's where I would take my car if I was going to have it wrapped. 

And your son does some outstanding camera work, worth checking king out 240films and you can see the quality of the wraps and apms work there! 

6 hours ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

Jay.1r, cheers mate will be definitely looking at this. can you wash it like normal paint ((hand waxing etc)? Or will it bugger it up? Cheers for everyone for their help by the way, what a forum!!

I think you can use normal snow foam / shampoo etc but I'm sure I've read there are "Matt" versions that are better on wraps. Also be care full with the powerhose / jetwash as I think if you get too close you can mark the vinyl, but I'm sure someone will let you know for definite who actually goes through this process. 

vinyl is indeed a cheaper option if you are looking to get some crazy colours which otherwise will cost you thousands in respray jobs but if you want to stick to normal colours you can get good bodyshops to respray a whole car for £2500

My friend in Rochdale has a bodyshop and would be delighted to do it much much cheaper than that. And he has experience with custom paint jobs on high end motors too.

He's insurance rated. 

Drop me a message if you're interested.