Successor to 370z

Gudzy

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 12:28, Jetpilot said:

What figure is reasonable in your opinion?

Absolutely, i dont think the 86 sold in the numbers expected (too much money imho) and i think Ford were very clever with "supply and demand" on the Mustang.

That's quite hard to answer without knowing what performance will be like etc. 

Lets say sub 6 to 60 and 350+ BHP, I'd be hoping for a car close to the 30k mark. I suspect that's wishful thinking tho.... 

It will have to be turbo, probably a hybrid setup too to cull the emissions and to compete with the drivability of others in the class. New Z4 for example.

I heard a rumour if there is to be one it'll be named 400Z.

The sector still seems to be doing ok so I imagine they will release it.

With the 86 now sitting just shy of £30k with any kind of spec you'd actually want to own, £40-45k seems about right for next Z. I feel the German offerings will be better at that price point..

A decent spec golf r before discount is £40k. Can’t see this being cheaper.

It will also need the usual £2k exhaust to sound half decent due to Japanese regulations. Only the Germans and the yanks build good sounding non super cars these days.

3.0 turbo v6 and auto sounds promising. The slushbox in the Alfa Quadrifoglio is better than a dct. 

The 370z really needs replacing. It wasn’t a big step up from the 350z when launched, and is slow compared to modern hot hatches. I really do prefer the 350z by a mile. I can say that now I’ve sold mine without being accused of bias. 

Im glad it’s not going to be a 1.5 3 cylinder engine and electric motor. That wouldn’t have surprised me. 

I think £40k is a good price point for a car like this. I’d expect it to be closer to £45k once you add some decent options. 

Edited by Kev

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 08:13, nissanman312 said:

I think your point about it not knowing what it wants to be are valid. The 370z now in its standard form is a little bit that way .

I think they need to push down the serious sports car route with it especially with the way it's likely to look 

I can't belevie they can come up with the gtr that 100% knows what it is and the rwd coupe be so confused 

I think the reason it changes so much is a lot of mature drivers complain to manufacturers hence MY 17 updates. So your hardcore versions aren't so hardcore anymore. Catering to a different audience but trying to keep original customer happy.

There's emissions and strict regulations for non EU. So most feasible route is 3.0 Litre twin turbo V6. Nismo version 475 BHP to rival current M cars. Which by then will be 500 BHP+ probably

Try to be less cynical. If the Infiniti Q60 Black S gets released that will probably be the basis of the next generaion. It may not be purist. But what is in 2018. Everything is moving to more subtle environment friendly eventually to Electric and huge tax on modern petrols and diesels. At least Nissan are trying to maintain some sort of heritage in regards to Sports cars and hardcore fanbase and are paying the price heavily with crappy sales in EU and Asia. Only US seems to buy these..

Hardcore version = slow selling too niche

GT version = broader audience but stifled by biased market towards german market

purist = purist not a big enough market to recoup RND. manufacture, marketing costs

A new Turbocharged version with smart design will increase sales. jap cars in general will always be slow selling compared to german anyway

For Nissan a lose lose situation either way.....Too expensive and people will go elsewhere. too cheap and lose a lot of characteristics, engine, design etc

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 1 month later...

And you realise that’s the EXACT same info as the Autocar article? It’s like they just waited a few months, then copy + pasted it into their own format. So really, it’s not even remotely close to confirming anything.

Be interesting to see it break debut at the 2018 Tokyo Motor Show....

Especially as the next Tokyo Motor Show is 2019

On 17/06/2018 at 11:43, Jetpilot said:

Be interesting to see it break debut at the 2018 Tokyo Motor Show....

Especially as the next Tokyo Motor Show is 2019

seriously doubt it lol, a bit early. If this is 400-475 GTR will be around 650-700.....Price point? Probably £60,000. Look at the price of the current ALpine A110.......and thats a 4 pot

You seemed to have missed the point, the article said it would debut at the 2018 Tokyo Motor Show, there is no 2018 Tokyo Motor Show, 2019 is the next one ;)

I also presume this (when it does arrive) will be pitched against the new Supra, so will probably be in line with that.

Edited by Jetpilot

• 6 months later...

The Z will continue to be a v6 im sure albeit a smaller displacement. The not so popular 370Z will probably be the last naturally aspirated Z. People may realise the new Z may be fast but its very different from predecessors.

Im glad Nissan experimented at SEMA. Im sure that will be the test bed for them. Hopefully they can work on the engine effeciency and sort the exhaust note out. A youtuber suggested they should make it as a final performance special. I say dont bother. Axe the 370z production altogether this year. 69 plate heritage edition and leave it there..

The base 400z should be at least 400bhp. A 450 bhp GT version to rival m cars and a 475-490 bhp lighter go faster nismo capable of 3.5 seconds. Side by side will kill the TTRS on the track. How do you feel about that kind of power in a RWD. Or should it be AWD with a drift setting? (added costs and weight)

The Q60 in its current form should be scrapped in favour of the new Z while infiniti replace the q50 and q60 with a fully electric alternative by 2021.

Q60 black S should be scrapped in favour of a possible super Z or r36 concept as it has the hybrid tech developed by Renault formula 1 team which could be used in the new engine

The next Tokyo Motor show is at the end of this year. Will a new Z be ready at concept stage?  Seems 50/50 to me. A tokyo concept and geneva/detroit reveal seems very quick to me.

The new design should pay homage to the 240Z in the same way the Alpine has to the original car. Or should they stick with the current trend? 

Interior wise the alpine was nice. But the screen should probably integrate into the dash of the new Z

Edited by GranTurismoEra

21 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

The not so popular 370Z will probably be the last naturally aspirated Z.

When the 350 was launched back in 2002 - it was a sensation then, gaining huge respect from equally respected 'testers' at the time and the glowing reputation it gained in the following years was justifiably deserved.

The 370 never stood a chance in comparison, irrespective of whether you like the model or not.  Simple reason being the launch was hot on the heels at the time of the financial crash that all but killed new car sales.  By the time new car sales started picking up, the green lobby had muscled in ensuring fossil fueled cars days would be numbered - particularly the worst fuel guzzlers, and our ZEDs did not exactly get brownie points in the fuel economy stakes.

Is it any wonder then that the 370 would not be so popular?  When I bought my first secondhand 2004 350z in 2005 I had a choice of ex- fleet 350's that back then were regarded by the salesmen pounding up and down the motorways as one of the status cars to have. Come 2010 I doubt many companies, if any, authorized 370s for fleet use. Only self-employed people like me prepared to dive into their hard-earned to own what I saw as natural 350 successor that personally gave me a whole lot of pleasure - ownership that I look back on with fond memories and why I am still an avid follower of this forum.

As to how the 370's successor will be powered...........well there is enough writing on the wall to suggest it certainly ain't going to be 3.what-have-you naturally aspirated lump but  hopefully at least something that stirs the juices to make it a must-have sports car, as the 350 did some 16 years ago.

• Like 3

I think the whole recession reason is just a thinly veiled excuse to account for the poor sales, the m3 went from 3.2 straight six to 4.0 v8 and sold bucket loads at 50k at a very similar time, I think you are probably a lot closer with it just having some very big shoes to fill and it just wasnt a significant step up in the game to draw current z car owners to "upgrade", it also wouldnt be the first time Nissan sat on their laurels either, 240/260z to the 280z. Everyone else had moved the goalposts, the 370z was pretty much out of date the moment it came out, imho of course.

Being an avid enthusiast of the two and recognising your recent purchases of 4 pot turbos and being an advocate of, do you think a new z car will hash out something of close to its old platform, high capacity v6 maybe with turbo just because they have that engine lying around or do you think they will go a more modern direction?

Personally I hope its new, modern tech and not some parts bin special to keep the z car alive.

Make it a spec-by-committee 2.0L turbo and it’ll sell peanuts, because why bother when you can buy a quicker and more practical hot hatch?

Make it something different by using a V6 and it’ll sell peanuts, because it’ll be so thirsty in comparison and people are terrified of spending £40k on a car and then a few extra quid in fuel. 

There’s no right answer. Everyone is making 4WD hatches now because that’s what the majority of people want. A 2 seat coupe/convertible the wrong side of £40k just isn’t popular, unless you’re a premium manufacturer. A new Zed simply wouldn’t sell enough to make any money. Even the 718, the best sports car you can buy for non-silly money, isn’t doing anywhere near as well as previously because it has an engine that sounds like a toaster: in all other aspects it’s flawless, but making it so anodyne with that engine now has people looking at alternatives. 

• Like 1

I would agree with JP that other cars did do well over the last ten years - the fact that we have discussions on here that its not worth getting a cheap 370z and instead getting a better conditioned HR really shows that the 370z was not the step up that was needed to truly differentiate one generation from the next.

I think unfortunately with green issues being raised all over the place, constant messaging by the government about how they will tax the hell out of anyone that dares drive a petrol/diesel car and the eventual placement of ULEZs  across the country (don't think London will be the only one) will kill off the petrol driven performance car. Think ahead, the Z car after the next Z car will probably have an electric engine, so if Nissan were planning the long term future of the Z car what are they looking at for the next one? 

Its definitely headed that way towards electric or at least petrol hybrid. Even my current run around was criticized at the time for many of its shortcomings. Funny that its headed back that way now but towards full electric. 

A new engine and tech will cost a lot for something that might not do well. I had a look at the alpine figures and looks like they have sold 1500 so far. I read it was originally a limited production. Looks like that may change due to increased demand.

A reworked q60 engine with some hybrid tech could drive the price up. Its not worth them building a completely new engine when they most likely wont sell many.

You cant really compare BMW with Nissan. The M3 was always going to sell loads. Its a BMW. Its a badge. Its marketed better and has a well established reputation in Europe and UK are one of the biggest buyers.

At the height of 350z sales it sold 2100 in one year in Europe. The 370 never did more than 1500 or so in 1 year in Europe since 2010. So both cars werent great. The Alpine looks set to hit 1800 for 2018.

The ULEZ will be fine for now. Sooner or later they may enforce lower emissions. Right now the 370Z is okay because its not older than 2000. Im sure overnight that can change to high displacement vehicles. Which will be mean less supercars in central london. Unless youre from UAE or Saudi/Kuwait and coming to spend big bucks. Those high tariffs wont affect those people. 

Its okay for them to release a petrol engine but I dont think 10 years will be viable for production. Things will change quickly.

Maybe despite the costs a hybrid petrol engine is the way to go. It works brilliantly and does assist the engine well. If done right. With added turbo it would add a lot of torque to the engine especially when the battery is fully charged. It would be more emissions friendly but drive costs up.

14 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

At the height of 350z sales it sold 2100 in one year in Europe. The 370 never did more than 1500 or so in 1 year in Europe since 2010. So both cars werent great. The Alpine looks set to hit 1800 for 2018.

Are you sure? Where did you source the data? A quick look at the carsalesbase website shows closer to 7000 at its peak.

Nissan  
350Z  
2009 424
2008 1411
2007 2493
2006 3955
2005 5598
2004 6959
2003 2187

Nissan  
370Z  
2017 894