Successor to 370z

Gudzy

I'm still quite exited about this, at the end of the day at least it's not likely to be a turbo 4 pot like everything else at the moment. 

It will have to be running good power and priced reasonably or it will fail miserably in today's market of 30k Hot hatches with 300 + BHP. 

1 hour ago, RickyZ said:

It does say the normal version will be 2WD, I don't see why they would make the Nismo AWD as it'll just be like a mini GTR?

Because they are using the q60 as a base 

So I expect the rwd version wont have an exciting engine 

1 minute ago, StevoD said:

Because they are using the q60 as a base 

So I expect the rwd version wont have an exciting engine 

The VQ engine was used in the Navara pick up too so id imagine they'll tune it to be a little more exciting. Hopefully anyways!

3 hours ago, nowhereboy said:

I'm still quite exited about this, at the end of the day at least it's not likely to be a turbo 4 pot like everything else at the moment. 

It will have to be running good power and priced reasonably or it will fail miserably in today's market of 30k Hot hatches with 300 + BHP. 

I do hope you are right 

Not sure a potential 400Z would be remotely eating into Alpine sales at all. One's a mid engined four pot with a DCT, one's (likely) a front engined turbo V6 with a slushbox. Sports car vs GT, 250bhp vs at least 350bhp.

My biggest worry for future Zed is that it has no idea what it wants to be. Not luxury enough to worry the Infiniti, not sporty enough to worry the Cayman, too pricey to worry the GT86. If (and it's a big if) the rumours are true, it sounds like it's destined for Flopsville. Or at least, not remotely interesting for those of us that y'know, like to actually drive a car.

9 hours ago, Ekona said:

Not sure a potential 400Z would be remotely eating into Alpine sales at all. One's a mid engined four pot with a DCT, one's (likely) a front engined turbo V6 with a slushbox. Sports car vs GT, 250bhp vs at least 350bhp.

My biggest worry for future Zed is that it has no idea what it wants to be. Not luxury enough to worry the Infiniti, not sporty enough to worry the Cayman, too pricey to worry the GT86. If (and it's a big if) the rumours are true, it sounds like it's destined for Flopsville. Or at least, not remotely interesting for those of us that y'know, like to actually drive a car.

I think your point about it not knowing what it wants to be are valid. The 370z now in its standard form is a little bit that way .

I think they need to push down the serious sports car route with it especially with the way it's likely to look 

I can't belevie they can come up with the gtr that 100% knows what it is and the rwd coupe be so confused 

• Like 1

Yeah but, no but , yeah but....the GT86, even with its pithy 200 horses is still quite a popular car. And i don't think that really knows what it's supposed to be either. It's not really a GT car or a "sports" car, nor is it really heavy competition for anything in its price/power range IMO. Yet, here we are. 

I'm sure someone will happily beat me with their correction stick if i'm wrong. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

86 is a sports car in the same way the mx5/124 are. 

And tbh the 86 has been a bit of a flop much like the Mustang 

Sold well in first 6 months then just a trickle I'm yet to see a facelift 86 on the road and they have been out over a year now 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nowhereboy said:

priced reasonably

What figure is reasonable in your opinion?

2 hours ago, StevoD said:

86 is a sports car in the same way the mx5/124 are. 

And tbh the 86 has been a bit of a flop much like the Mustang 

Absolutely, i dont think the 86 sold in the numbers expected (too much money imho) and i think Ford were very clever with "supply and demand" on the Mustang.

MX-5 is a roadster is it not? Is that still considered a sports car? It's an honest question, i'm not dicking about. Plus. the GT86 is a sports car? Doesn't come across as that sporty to me. I've driven one and thought it was o.k. Bouncy suspension and a slightly asthmatic engine. Didn't rock my world but o.k, sports car it is. 

How do we define a sports car? what aspects qualify this category?

Edited by Rock_Steady

Sports car for me is:

2 seat

Convertible

Reasonably light

Reasonably small

Compromised, so not a lot of room for luggage :lol: 

So MX5 is definitely a sports car, as is an S2K and a 488 Spider. BRZ86 and the Zeds are sports coupes, as is the 911 and 488 tintop. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ekona said:

Sports car for me is:

2 seat

Convertible

Reasonably light

Reasonably small

Compromised, so not a lot of room for luggage :lol: 

So MX5 is definitely a sports car, as is an S2K and a 488 Spider. BRZ86 and the Zeds are sports coupes, as is the 911 and 488 tintop. 

is a sports coupe a car...........................Yes ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

MX-5 is a roadster is it not? Is that still considered a sports car? It's an honest question, i'm not dicking about. Plus. the GT86 is a sports car? Doesn't come across as that sporty to me. I've driven one and thought it was o.k. Bouncy suspension and a slightly asthmatic engine. Didn't rock my world but o.k, sports car it is. 

How do we define a sports car? what aspects qualify this category?

You can have any definition you choose to what makes a sports car to you, personally its something that handles well i.e a decent chassis and not much else, would you not class an Elise a sports car because its a two seater convertible like the mx5 and has a slightly asthmatic k series motor, to me an Elise is the very definition of a sports car.

• Like 2