Auto-dimming mirror?

antnee

I've had my 370 for just 2 weeks but already wishing it had an auto-dipping rear view mirror. My Alfa has one and it makes night time driving much more pleasant.

Has anyone retro-fitted one before?

It looks like you can buy them for other Nissans (eg Nivara) and they have the same screen mount - so would just need connecting up. Is it that simple?

• 2 months later...

It's a standard connector I picked some up off ebay :) it's an easy mod the navara workshop manual has the pin diagrams you only need three wires (positive, negative and reverse) if you've installed a new head unit then you'll already have those wires no doubt exposed, pop the headliner out slightly and it's all tucked neatly away! 

Ok. I have been trawling the net for hours trying to find the connector. Some places in the US have it listed, but it ends up being $40 shipped here! So I have ended up messaging a few eBay sellers that are breaking GTRs and Navaras to see if they can sort out the connector for me.

If it's the linear 7 pin it's a bog standard electrical connector look for jst 7 pin, they're a few quid on ebay etc. Very few connectors in cars are proprietary it's just a pain to find out exactly what they are

On 5/19/2018 at 20:34, MDMetal said:

If it's the linear 7 pin it's a bog standard electrical connector look for jst 7 pin, they're a few quid on ebay etc. Very few connectors in cars are proprietary it's just a pain to find out exactly what they are

I had seen the connectors, but only as a bare housing. However I just found the terminals now too, all coming from a UK supplier for about £6 :) I will update when everything arrives.

My £15 Navara mirror with wiring loom was fitted today and wired to the submarine light in the overhead panel, which switches on/off with the sidelights/headlights.  Nice cheap upgrade on what is otherwise a nicely specified car.

1 hour ago, ZeeZee370 said:

My £15 Navara mirror with wiring loom was fitted today and wired to the submarine light in the overhead panel, which switches on/off with the sidelights/headlights.  Nice cheap upgrade on what is otherwise a nicely specified car.

Good stuff! I opted against using the tat light panel as there's lots of nasty stories about what happens when it goes wrong but it's all good! 

On 25/05/2018 at 20:10, MDMetal said:

Good stuff! I opted against using the tat light panel as there's lots of nasty stories about what happens when it goes wrong but it's all good! 

Care to share those stories? I will be having a go at sorting mine tomorrow, and planning to use the same light as my feed.

Is it just a 350Z issue?

There are some other posts around, I can't recall the specifics but it amounted to if you mess it up you at best need a new dome light and at worst the body control module goes pop. I had to replace the dome light when I shorted it with some duff leds luckily the body control module was fine. 

Depends what you fancy doing, your going to need to I clip the headlining anyway and if you've already fitted an aftermarket head unit then you've had the centre console out. I opted to do that and run the reverse wire up so it works as intended but as long as it works anyway you choose is fine! 

Edited by MDMetal

A few pictures then;

Connector made up with the cable, inserted into the mirror (how has some heatshrink on too)

41546067625_f06916cde1_c.jpg

IMG_20180528_104246520 by Anthony Molyneux, on Flickr

Mirror mounted, cable routed up and under the rain/light sensor cover

42448356931_4412c5e57b_c.jpg

IMG_20180528_114609093 by Anthony Molyneux, on Flickr

And the cables I tapped into (for the ambient lighting LED) 

40640072170_f88ff91f74_c.jpg

IMG_20180528_115115577 by Anthony Molyneux, on Flickr

And its done!

40640072030_98ce665f27_c.jpg

IMG_20180528_115910772 by Anthony Molyneux, on Flickr

Edited by antnee

On 19/05/2018 at 20:34, MDMetal said:

After reading this thread I too obtained a Navara mirror & fittings (Ebay) and yesterday I fitted it. The only difference is that mine has not got an ON/OFF button. I realised after fitting that the rear of the mirror has its own day/night sensor so although I wired it to the blue & yellow wires any ignition live would have sufficed. But anyway I guess the blue yellow wires are the  easiest to tap into.

• 4 years later...
On 27/05/2018 at 20:12, MDMetal said:

There are some other posts around, I can't recall the specifics but it amounted to if you mess it up you at best need a new dome light and at worst the body control module goes pop. I had to replace the dome light when I shorted it with some duff leds luckily the body control module was fine. 

Depends what you fancy doing, your going to need to I clip the headlining anyway and if you've already fitted an aftermarket head unit then you've had the centre console out. I opted to do that and run the reverse wire up so it works as intended but as long as it works anyway you choose is fine! 

Hi were did you take the reverse light supy from?