Handbrake or Wheel Bearing issue?

GregZ33

Hi, I wondered if anyone has any theories on this issue I'm having with my '03 Zed (GT pack, LSD & Brembo's) before I go about stripping & inspecting bits..

Symptoms are as follows;

-I'm getting an intermittent 'metallic dry whirling' noise coming from the NSR hub area.

-Noise more noticeable when travelling slowly (Potentially as there's less engine & wind noise).

-Noise levels don't get louder as wheel speed increases - which indicates this may not be wheel bearing related.

-Left foot braking while accelerating, or operating the handbrake whilst moving don't appear to stop or have an effect on the noise.

-If I coast in gear then accelerate this can provoke the noise to quieten as I accelerate, although I get a squeak as I accelerate.  Sometimes the noise does persist though.

-Turning right can provoke the noise to start or get louder.  (My Z has an LSD.  The NSR wheel is the outside wheel when turning right, therefore noise gets louder when the wheel/hub assembly is under more strain from the LSD as it's trying to take the larger turning circumference.

-I get 'pinging' & 'clicking' noises, although I think this may be a separate 'axle clicking' related issue (Which I plan to fix at the same time..).

-I've jacked up the car and can't feel any play in the wheel bearing.

I have two theories;

1-Wheel bearing.  I believe the pinging noise, and the fact that turning right provokes the noise are signs of this?

2-In my eyes the more likely cause - Handbrake shoes not returning properly, and therefore rubbing.  This would explain the dry sounding whirling noise, and the squeak I get as I accelerate as adding power forces the brake shoes to break free from contacting the inside of the disc?  I just don't know why turning right would have such a bit influence in the noise if the handbrake were the issue?

Sorry this is a hard post to reply to without hearing that dreaded noise in person..!  Thanks in advance for anyone that could shed some light on this :) 

Am I wrong to have ruled out that I could be the Driveshaft or Diff?

Edited by GregZ33

I had a similar thing, some of your symptoms were the same, I had bought a hub to replace thinking it was that. When I came to fit the hub it turned out the axle nut had come slightly loose imitating a worn bearing.

If you do need a hub bearing and carrier I still have mine that I didnt fit. I don't have my z anymore so will sort at a good price 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rob350 said:

I had a similar thing, some of your symptoms were the same, I had bought a hub to replace thinking it was that. When I came to fit the hub it turned out the axle nut had come slightly loose imitating a worn bearing.

If you do need a hub bearing and carrier I still have mine that I didnt fit. I don't have my z anymore so will sort at a good price 

That's interesting to know, thanks! I'll make sure to check the tightness of the hub nut.  I will definitely contact you if the bearing is showing any signs of wear as it would be nice to replace the hub with the bearing too :)  I suspect that may help resolve my 'axle clicking' as well

Have you taken the N/S/R wheel off and checked the weather shield/ back plate ?

It's a stab in the dark, but might be the weather shield catching on the brake disc. Or some corrosion catching it when the disc is turning.

Could also be the brake shoes though. You could back them off/ de adjust them and see if the noise goes away. Or remove the disc and visually inspect.

Edited by Rob332
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob350 said:

The clicking axle is a common issue. It's the splines on the end of the axle that go into the hub, the grease dries out so just regreasing the splines solves the clicking 

Yeeah I looked that one up on youtube, at first I assumed it to be the CV joints clicking, not the axle itself.  Hopefully the splines aren't too warn & a bit of grease is enough to quieten them down.  Thanks again for the explanation mate :) 

56 minutes ago, Rob332 said:

Have you taken the N/S/R wheel off and checked the weather shield/ back plate ?

It's a stab in the dark, but might be the weather shield catching on the brake disc. Or some corrosion catching it when the disc is turning.

Could also be the brake shoes though. You could back them off/ de adjust them and see if the noise goes away. Or remove the disc and visually inspect.

I've not looked yet if I'm honest, I was planning to have the wheel and disc off this weekend to inspect it, then maybe pull the driveshaft too to inspect the wheel bearing.  I'm curious to ask around before doing so though so I'm armed with a bit more knowledge of any common Z faults to look for in that area.  The weather shield isn't a bad shout, definitely worth checking while I'm in that area, although I think it's something a little more sinister.  Backing off the handbrake is a very good idea, it would be a great way of physically testing whether it were the park brake shoes rubbing and eliminating the theory of it being the wheel bearing!