Next Jap Car

reeceybeaney

After a year of owning the zed, I still thoroughly enjoy it and it is definitely one of them cars you turn back to look at every time you park up and walk away.

However I'm looking to potentially trade in the z and put it towards buying another "sporty" car, but probably something more (what I would call) "classic"... then again I'm 20 so anything from the 90s is classic :lol:

Considering R32/33/34 GTR prices are through the roof, I won't be considering one unfortunately, or one of them would be my first choice as I've always wanted one for as long as I could remember.

I've also always loved the S15 Silvia

Spec R and 3000GT and wondered if anyone had any experience with either and how they compar to the 350z? I've convinced myself that they would continue holding their value (if not increase) so it could be a viable purchase ;) 

I would consider anything "sporty" within the approx £12k region, as long as it's likely to hold it's value of course!

What do you guys think? Any thoughts or comments, fire away :)

PFA

nissan-silvia-s15-spec-r-modified-ideas-42.jpg

20180128_095925.jpg

13226938_553402411506908_5750954345291796393_n_large.jpg

My cousin has a 3000GT/GTO and it has been an utter money pit - PITA to work on too. Still has it though!

300ZX? Celica GT4? :lol:

R33 GTST are still cheap although come along once in a blue moon - can't be modded like a GTR but still very fast cars and RWD.

17 minutes ago, coldel said:

My cousin has a 3000GT/GTO and it has been an utter money pit - PITA to work on too. Still has it though!

300ZX? Celica GT4? :lol:

R33 GTST are still cheap although come along once in a blue moon - can't be modded like a GTR but still very fast cars and RWD.

Had a feeling that sort of car would be a bit of a money pit aha! Certainly not what I'm after :lol:

14 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

That S15..... :cloud9: 

Stunning isn't it? Just is it worth it over the 350z I'm not sure, it's been so good to me and I still "fall" for it when you go for a blast on a sunny day...

But still that S15...

I've had a 3000gt. It is a good car, but it is heavy and laden with electronic gremlins that'll drive you up the bloody wall. It's a good car to modify, i wouldn't go for the earlier version but the MK2.  They respond well to modifying baring in mind that your car really is ticking over like a rolex and everything is working as it should be. 

Would i have another one? No... no i wouldn't, been there done that. i'm too into my GTiR :teeth:

Edited by Rock_Steady

6 minutes ago, Rock_Steady said:

I've had a 3000gt. It is a good car, but it is heavy and laden with electronic gremlins that'll drive you up the bloody wall. It's a good car to modify, i wouldn't go for the earlier version but the MK2.  They respond well to modifying baring in mind that your car really is ticking over like a rolex and everything is working as it should be. 

Would i have another one? No... no i wouldn't, been there done that. i'm too into my GTiR :teeth:

Appreciate your reply! Funny you mention "ticking" over like a Rolex, As I they'd appreciate in value, probably like the s15 and 3000gt too :lol:

Only other choice is to spend some more money on the 350z and forget about everything else! 

5 minutes ago, Rock_Steady said:

Love the wheels on the S15, Anyone know what they are?  

They look like Advan wheels, can't remember what exactly though but look brilliant in that colour!

• Like 1

Steady is on the money with the 3000GTs - my cousin did boost his up bigger turbos and the like but it was often all the small stuff that would he would be endlessly throwing money at. Its a monster of a machine now but has cost him an arm and a leg.

What about a 350GT? A few bodywork changes and bigger wheels they look stunning, also you will be familiar with the engine etc.

Impreza? If you can stand the chav persona that comes with it? 

If you fancied moving from something Jap my car after the 350z was a VX220 and it really was the best thing I ever did - going from a relatively heavy and cumbersome GT car into a proper low slung sports car, every second in it was an epic journey.

1 minute ago, coldel said:

Steady is on the money with the 3000GTs - my cousin did boost his up bigger turbos and the like but it was often all the small stuff that would he would be endlessly throwing money at. Its a monster of a machine now but has cost him an arm and a leg.

What about a 350GT? A few bodywork changes and bigger wheels they look stunning, also you will be familiar with the engine etc.

Impreza? If you can stand the chav persona that comes with it? 

If you fancied moving from something Jap my car after the 350z was a VX220 and it really was the best thing I ever did - going from a relatively heavy and cumbersome GT car into a proper low slung sports car, every second in it was an epic journey.

I'm trying to stay away from the wrx sti and evo scene for that reason and also I think they're reasonably common! I see way less 350z's my way than evos and scoobys, so I quite like the semi-rarity factor :)

Think I want to stay in something low slung and coupe like but VX220 turbos in particular are awesome, but a definite weekend toy.

I would love a Z4M coupe but they're out of the price range and only going up. Personally I prefer Jap stlying but my GOD the E46 M3 S54 engined M cars are a peach to drive and very collectable now. The old man struck lucky and got a 35k mile z4m coupe 3 years ago for £14k, which is a steal comparing to today's standards :lol: there are 3 other M cars in the household so kind of wanted to stay Jap to be different!

Also my insurance for my Z was £830 this year which is so cheap for a 20 year old, so another reason why to keep the 350.

350GT?

I would argue Evo's very much fall into the chav category too? 

Mazda 3 MPS for something a little more modern? 

I know I was joking but a GT4? Next year they become legal in the US, there are already dozens of US peeps signing up to the UK FB page waving dollars at owners and you could see a very quick spike in values. 

46 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

just ignore the fact it'll probably cost you loads to maintain :lol:

Absolutely nothing wrong with RX7's if you buy the right car, but buy the wrong one and it will be problematic, but thats the same with anything, try repairing a GTR (and they do go wrong its just not as well documented)  and then tell me the RX7 costs loads.

I have had 5 RX7's, only one suffered with serious failure and at 2k for a full build i was left with a stunning reliable car. Its only the 99+ 7's that are commanding strong money, i am afraid the older 7's fell in into the scoob camp (chav) and wont be rocketing up anytime soon. 

The problem is with an 90's car you will be looking at problems, just what degree mostly, wiring is getting tired and brittle and a pain to sort, bushes/components wearing out, rattles, clunks and thats before you get into any dreaded tin worm and i know it makes zero sense but just cannot get my head around paying more money than a decent 350z for something that isnt actually as good over all.

I guess i am lucky, had varying 90's jap cars but that was earlymids 2000's, rx7, supra, evo, scoobs and after moving to a 350z, there wouldnt be a chance in hell i would want to take one on now, thats not because the 350z is a better car in a certain area, but it seemed luxurious in comparison and very solid and a pleasure on any drive.

However, i get its maybe an itch you have to scratch, just be aware of the pitfalls and buy with your head not heart.

I have never owned either but will chuck MR2 or S2000 in the mix.

Edited by Jetpilot

Sounds like you are going to be using it regularly (as you said VX would only be a weekend toy) so would imagine an RX7 comes out the equation unless you are ready to spend more time than usual in maintenance (oil top ups etc) and a rebuild when required. Funny thing was literally just now I walked down to the high street and back and a black lowered RX7 came by and it looks amazing.

90s cars are now at that 20 year+ age so you have to buy VERY carefully. I have had my Celica now for over 3 years and aside from a builder dropping slates on my bonnet it has been trouble free but bear in mind I paid a little over market value as it has had so much work done to it such as clutch, pumps, all hosing replaced, belts, so on and so forth. - when you lift the bonnet it looks very modern. The interior is very plastic but you will get that with pretty much every 90's Jap car.