The dreaded steering lock issue.

350Z paradise

:headhurt:Yep,it's happened :angry: ...Parked my 2011 370z up for the night,got in the next morning..NOTHING,ZERO,ZILCH !!

Car is now with Arbury Nissan,Bromsgrove,total price £903.00 estimated (could be slightly less,but no higher according to service manager). The campaign to replace the faulty part only covers models 2009-2010...i knew i should have bought that 2010 model now :dry:. Oh well,onwards & upwards :thumbs:

Yep thats my advice also !

In the mean time this may be of use to you and save some money. An extract from the other forum.

As has been said here and in other threads, there was a known issue with these locks back in 2013.  At the time I liaised with Nissan UK on behalf of the club and they released a VSC  to get the locks replaced free of charge .

Recently I have been back in touch with Nissan UK because we've had a few cases arise again within the club.  So Nissan Customer Services are now looking out for failures and these will be highlighted if you report the issue direct to them, rather than via your dealer.

Therefore, I would urge anyone with a steering lock issue to report it to Nissan CS rather than just take it to their dealer to repair.  By all means get your car to your dealer, but raise a call with Nissan CS and get a reference number.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 14:13, 350Z paradise said:

:headhurt:Yep,it's happened :angry: ...Parked my 2011 370z up for the night,got in the next morning..NOTHING,ZERO,ZILCH !!

Car is now with Arbury Nissan,Bromsgrove,total price £903.00 estimated (could be slightly less,but no higher according to service manager). The campaign to replace the faulty part only covers models 2009-2010...i knew i should have bought that 2010 model now :dry:. Oh well,onwards & upwards :thumbs:

Sorry to hear your tail of woe mate. I contacted Nissan and the recall (P3208) was for cars between 2009 - 2010 up to 24/3/10 with VIN numbers up to 0300691. They told me that there were no recalls for my car which was produced on 24/4/10 . This i assumed meant that the problem was obviously known to them and future cars would/have been fitted with the correct parts to stop this issue happening. Obviously not as your 2011 car has fallen foul. I would expect that given the "Known Issue" that they should honor the repair if you kick up enough fuss?. The email address that I used to contact them is below if its any help. I am now back worrying that mine will die a death now at some point ! :scare:

gb@nissan-services.eu

:thumbs:

On 3/14/2018 at 16:09, ZMANALEX said:

Best to get that fuse removed when you get the car back. :thumbs:

Can you remind me which one it is that needs removing please as I think i now need to get this done ASAP ! :thumbs:

Here you are step by step :

Having read extensively about the steering lock failure, even the supposed revision C/D i decided to take fate in my own hands and remove the fuse that controls it, not wishing to be stranded or being given a hefty bill by Nissan to replace it when my warrenty runs out in a few months time!
Many people in the USA have done this mod which takes about 10mins to do without any issue whatsoever and of course is replaceable in the same amount of time should you require to do so
.I have lifted the pics from the American site cos my camera battery flat, so everything in pics is on the opposite side on our cars ( passenger side ) under battery cover.

I first removed the battery cover held by push clips... .user2381_pic55405_1348065331.jpg

Remove the battery bracket. There are 4 plastic clip holding it. Pop the plastic clip open with a flat headed screw driver and pull it out. Slide the bracket towards the passenger side wing as the bracket is under the stiffening bar.

user2381_pic55404_1348065331.jpg

Remove HALF of the plastic weather stripe. The weather stripe goes all the way to the driver side so you don't have to remove the entire thing. There are 4-5 clips that needs to unplug. To remove them, gently twists and pull upwards (these clips are plastic so they will break).

user2381_pic55402_1348065331.jpg

You can now fully access the fuse box. Pop open the two clips and slide the box upwards.

user2381_pic55401_1348065331.jpg
IMG_1441.JPG

Open the box and locate the fuse and remove it.

The first picture shows where I pulled the fuse and the second one denotes it's location in the box.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN 'ACCESSORY' MODE FIRST!!!!
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

To OP.... I had this same issue 5 months ago, with my 59 plate 370z, it had already had the steering lock replaced 4 years ago under the recall but failed again. I also took mine to Arbury Nissan in Bromsgrove, they charged me £1900, the part itself was around £1400. I would be very interested to know how they can quote you £900?!?!

Nissan customer services and Arbury were horrendous throughout, in terms of keeping me updated, providing me with a courtesy car etc and Nissan customer services refused to pay anything towards the repair, stating it was a 'wear and tear' issue, despite the fact that the steering lock issue is widespread and well evidenced....

In fact I was on the verge of just selling the damn car (which I love) in protest,, as I was so aggrieved by this. I am still on the fence about it. Anyway, rant over.

Edited by Noble Bernard
spelling

NISSAN in Britain needs to get a grip :rant: I phoned customer services to complain about a fault in my car, the dealer just to look at it £104 plus vat, complained to Nissan GB  they said to try another dealer it's out of our control, what a load of bullshit! :angry:

Nissan CS in the UK can sometimes find it very difficult to control their dealerships.

They certainly do not have any control over what prices they charge.

I have an ongoing issue with a NHPC (Macklins Glasgow) regarding issues with an R35 GT-R where the dealership will not take my calls or answer my emails.

I opened a case with CS and they have had the same issues with the dealership where they are not taking the calls or replying to there emails.

and the CS team are visiting the dealership this week unannounced.

That should be fun.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018 at 18:35, Noble Bernard said:

To OP.... I had this same issue 5 months ago, with my 59 plate 370z, it had already had the steering lock replaced 4 years ago under the recall but failed again. I also took mine to Arbury Nissan in Bromsgrove, they charged me £1900, the part itself was around £1400. I would be very interested to know how they can quote you £900?!?!

Nissan customer services and Arbury were horrendous throughout, in terms of keeping me updated, providing me with a courtesy car etc and Nissan customer services refused to pay anything towards the repair, stating it was a 'wear and tear' issue, despite the fact that the steering lock issue is widespread and well evidenced....

In fact I was on the verge of just selling the damn car (which I love) in protest,, as I was so aggrieved by this. I am still on the fence about it. Anyway, rant over.

£1900 - OMFG! Nissan Arbury, Bromsgrove quoted me £453.00 for the part, the rest in labour costs. I would seriously look into what you've been charged. Daylight robbery IMO. I went down every Nissan avenue possible to get it done FOC, to no avail. Get that cost looked into, if you need proof of what i paid as evidence, follow me on Twitter (i'm always hang there, big following) - @SvntySvnPunk. I publicly Twitter shamed Arbury to the point they treated me like a king,still cost me £903.00, but not £1900! Good luck my friend.