dangerous tailgater caught on dashcam, what would you do?

EcoFriendlyAL

Hi Folks, I was driving down a very twisty road in The Lake District,barely room for two average cars to pass. taking it pretty easy when a big white minibus comes up behind me. It actually had a school kids notice on the window. The yellow square with two kids in it. So I assume it is a school bus and it was about 3:30 so don't know if it had kids in or not. Idiot rode my tail for a few minutes till I pulled over to let him get lost. Anyhow I have a Nextbase Duo, so got the bus number and licence plate.

So what I'm asking is what would you do? SEnd a copy of the MOV file to the police, The Bus company or maybe even BBC CUmbria? Maybe I'm over reacting? Do you think this idiot should be driving kids down dangerous country lanes? I realy don't want to get involved with the police, I suffer with my nerves. I don't think they can take action unless you report it and are ready to stand witness?

Cheers.

P.S if your answer is "You should of put your foot down", I'm not interested.

if you have a record of it would probably send it...who knows,it might make a difference and actually save an accident later on and perhaps a loss of life,I hate it when people tailgate me,but it happens very rarely :)

I know I might be over exaggerating but I always put the worst first 

• Thanks 1

Do nothing. Whilst I dislike tailgating, we've all done it to an extent when we know the road and the guy in front is dawdling. Now I'm not saying you were (although "taking it pretty easy" does give that impression), but tbh there was no harm done and you moved over to let him past. Better to have the idiot in front than behind etc.

There's already too many people sending footage in to the police when really it's a bunch of nothing and no harm was done. You even say yourself you've no idea if there were kids in it or not, tbh it's not difficult to see a bunch of kids in a bus when it goes past you so I'm willing to bet it was empty. Move on, life's too short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

If you're really that concerned about the danger, send it to the bus company.

If you're just a little wound up by some idiot driving a little aggressively then as Dan says, do nothing, forget about it and move on.

But if the driver is the one who drives with children aboard then if that is his standard of driving........how many parents on here would want you to let that go having posted your own worries with the evidence you have?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, coldel said:

I'm still waiting for the guy driving the car who was videoing Jamie Carragher spitting into his car to get done for using his phone on the motorway to take a video!

couldn't agree with you more!

45 minutes ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

This is all getting very silly LOL. Doggy Do Do. I'm sending a copy to the local Plod so I'm not sure about legally sharing the video as it could prejudice any action Mr Plod might take. Besides I don't know how to do it :-) Thanks for the input folks.

Chuck me an email and I’ll host it. You won’t prejudice any action at all, trust me. 

So three things jump out at me here:

1. You need to adjust your rear camera ;) 

2. You weren’t kidding when you said he was tailgating! That’s ridiculous, what a prat. No need for it at all. 

3. And this falls well down the scale of things that are wrong, and I’m assuming that’s NSL there, but sub 30 is also a silly speed and no wonder he had the hump. 

Please don’t take my last comment too harshly, I’m not for one moment suggesting you deserved him driving like that, but I can totally understand his frustration. Still not sure I’d bother reporting it as that kind of driving happens every single day, but I can see why you feel aggrieved. 

Also thank you for sharing :thumbs: 

Edited by Ekona
  • Thanks 1

A national speed limit does not mean that you have to drive at 60 mph. You drive at a speed that is safe for the current conditions. On a wet, narrow road with compromised view I would also have been well below the NSL.

We have all been stuck behind someone who we may feel is driving too slowly, particularly on roads we know well, and we may swear and curse but certainly do not harass or tailgate the car in front.

I think the OP is justified in being angry and I would also be doing something about it.

Would any of want that bus driver carrying our kids? He 'may' tone down his behaviour with kids on board but then again he may not.

I rarely get tailgated in the family hack but it is common in my 370, also people pulling in very close in front when they have overtaken on a dual carriageway.

• Thanks 1

It`s hard to tell from the distorted view that the camera gives - that road looks very narrow and perhaps your speed was appropriate. It`s hard to judge watching it on camera rather than actually being there.

I would expect, though, with the white line down the middle it may be wider than it looks - wide enough for 2 lanes, one in each direction, in most parts.

If that is the case, and allowing for the conditions, 20 odd mph for the majority of the time does seem unacceptably slow.

Dawdling along and holding other traffic up behind for no significant reason is bad driving , just as is driving too close or too fast for the conditions.

• Like 1

I’m not saying I’d have been driving balls to the wall either, but 27mph is (IMHO, and only going from that video) needlessly cautious. I can understand the bus driver’s frustration, whilst not condoning his actions. 

In fairness we’ve no idea how the bus driver would drive with kids on board. I’m betting we all drive differently with others in the vehicle anyway. 

Thanks for the input folks. I believe I was going as fast as conditions allowed. I'm aware of my own capabilities and think after driving lorry and large vans I have plenty of driving experience. If you see at the end of the video a black car has to pretty much stop so we can pass each other. Showing just how narrow the road actually is. If you go over a blind hump in the road and there is a van coming the other way at 30 mph then you either going to hit the van or the dry stone wall or both. I'm not used to those kind of roads so think I was doing OK at about 30 and slowing for blind bends.  The bus following looks like its about 15 years old and I don't think it could brake quick enough if a sheep would have been on the road before me, which happens a bit up there.