Hi, potential new 370z owner in the making

Hi all,

Prior to posting for the first time, I have had a good look through many posts, and would like to say this looks like a really good community and a very well run site.

My reason for joining, as it states above, is I am looking into the possibility of becoming a 370z owner.

I love fast cars, and never have enough money to buy what I really want, so compromises have always been made. Kids, money, house etc, and now is for a different reason. My new lady wants to buy a new car, but is happy for me to choose it, as long as it meets her requirements!

These are; 

Must be an auto, good looks, sat nav and decent interior, and most of all, fit her budget.

I on the other hand, want something fun and fast, good looks, and something a little out of the norm, not seen everywhere.

So more compromising has lead me to this. I know it’s going to be thirsty, I know it’s going to cost a lot to tax, but we can live with these, as long as it ticks all the boxes and puts a smile on my face.

So out of the blue we came across these on one of my regular autotrader searches, and she says “ ooh that looks nice”. Boom, I’ve now been looking at reviews and this forum all weekend, and i’m Like a kid at Christmas again. 

I’m not really mechanically minded, but I love to drive fast cars, they just make me smile all the time.

So i’m on here to get some help in deciding whether I should get one or not, and if so which one to go for, although I’m going to be limited by price. I had no idea that they were even close to being in our price range!

So unfortunately either of the Nismo’s are out of my price range. Visually I prefer the mk11 version just to let you know.

So what I want to know in the first instance;

Are there any big bills required on cars with 60000 plus miles on eg, clutch, timing chain etc

How much for tyres, and what are most recommended?

Best sounding exhaust system on a budget? Not too concerned about increased performance but love a good sounding NA v6 engine

Am I better paying a little more for a facelifted 13 plate gt or plump for a slightly older pre facelift model. Could definitely do with the reverse parking sensors, but could get that done aftermarket

Would like to change the wheels, personal preference is I don’t really like 5 spoke wheels, Nice exhaust sound, and bigger rear spoiler, again personal preference

All help, comments and advice will be gratefully received.

Lastly is anyone else on here from MK or nearby.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Daren

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Update is i’ve Put a deposit on an 09 plate grey 370z. Hopefully pick it up Friday. Only has 37000 miles on it, with 8 services by NIssan and 1 previous owner. Can’t wait. Got a little bit left to start the modding. Needs nice sounding, but cheap exhaust, lowering slightly and spacers to fill the arches better. Then it’s time to save for some new wheels. That’ll be about all for me. Mainly cosmetic, but we’ll see how badly I catch zeditus!

Any advice/ recommendations will be greatly received. 

• Like 1

Welcome in, glad you found a Z so soon :D they look great in grey.

If you only want a minor drop you're likely be best with Tein springs, and 25mm spacers. I ran eibach springs with same spacers on my old 2009 and it looked great, but hit the front lip on e-v-e-r-y-thing :lol: 

Enjoy the modding.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have just bought an 11 plate 370z gt in black and i love it. i have put 25mm spacers all round and the wheels look great, filling the arches nicely. i have also bought an invidia gemini catback exhaust which sounds lovely. :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice people. I think I’ve decided 25mm spacers all around, but still envisage it needs dropping a little. What do you think Andy? As you’ve just done it.

Definitely going to change the exhaust. Currently a Cobra cat back system, or the aam short tails. 

Does anyone know if I will need a Y pipe as well to fit these? Does anyone have these fitted? If so, how easy are they to live with on a daily basis? I love the sound of them over the cobra, but concerned they will be too loud, especially for the neighbours when I leave at 5;30 am for work!

Another question, coil overs or lowering springs. Never gonna track the car, but was just thinking that a 9 year old car might benefit from a full suspension change rather than putting the original under more strain with spacers and lowering.

Ultimately I just want it to look great, none of it’s for performance. Also being able to adjust the damping might make the ride a little more comfortable when lowered?

Any thoughts?

Should I post these questions elsewhere?

Cheers

What a car! Picked mine up yesterday and drove back from Manchester. About 150 miles. Absolutely loved it. Took a bit of getting used to, but really enjoyed the drive.

Thanks to the forums, I managed to make my first fix, and got an extra £50 off the price. Did a quick window reset, and it fixed the issue with the window keep dropping. Absolutely brilliant little trick!

I think I’m already smitten, and it’s only going to get better when I put a proper exhaust on it. 

I’m officially a Z owner, and I’ve contracted zeditus. 

Off to book my Japfest tickets, looking forward to meeting all you other zed heads

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...