370Z test drive

JurassicZ

Just test driven a manual 370Z Roadster down here in Spain.

My UK car was an auto, nice and smooth and great when using paddles.

This manual car seemed very jerky when driving, particularly changing from 1-2 and 2-3rd, seemed to bang in and out with the clutch very harsh.

Is this normal with the manuals?

I will not be buying this one, but interested to know if this is what I should expect from all manuals. I will look for an auto if so, although they are incredibly rare down here.

Hi,

What was the mileage on the car?

I recognize the jerky shifting with the manual, I have the same with mine. Make sure though that's it's not the differential, you can check this by providing quick throttle input whilst driving and make sure you don't hear clunking/banging sounds.

It might be that the clutch needs replacement, mine has 77k km on it and will also need a new clutch sometime.

I have found that the gearbox is far from smooth and slick, in fact, I would say the Wife`s Mokka is a much better and smoother drive gearbox wise. However, I have never found mine to be anything like as bad as what you seem to be describing.

Edited by Wayne370Z

The car had done 74,000 Kms. To me it seemed like the clutch was either in or out no smooth transition making the change harsh.

Also on the website which is similar to our AutoT, they have a press review and guess what, just seen this car was the Press hack. This could well explain the whole transmission issue if it was hammered from new as I guess the Press could not care less about running in a new car.

Agree,as I said in the original post, I will not be buying this one. Didn't see it was a press hack until doing a bit of googling.

Just wanted to know if the clutch and gearbox changes are harsh normally. If so I will wait for an auto.

Clutch is very on-off, everyone who drives mine points out how hard it is to balance the clutch without either chicken-necking or slipping it. Turn off the ESP and it is a lot easier to drive smoothly, oddly enough (probably just slipping the tyres!). It's a bit clunky when cold, going 1-2 but that's at 100K miles and with some warmup time it's smooth as butter again. Rest of the time it's smooth.

As mentioned, rear diff mount slop makes a fairly noticeable unpleasantness in shift quality.