Flywheel/ clutch chatter NOT at idle

chalks

Hi all, 

I know there is already a lot of coverage on clutch & release bearing noise, but I think mine's different!

I've recently fitted a lightweight flywheel and new clutch & spigot bush, and now have v noticeable noise/chatter when on throttle, below 2k rpm. It goes away at higher revs...

It's not the same chatter as I had with the DMF at idle.... there is no noise at idle.

I've seen in a couple of posts people have said it could be the gearbox idler gear / input shaft bearing- is that right? Also does anyone stock the parts or do they have part numbers? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your input- it's only been in for 150 miles but yes, I'm now automatically trying to keep it over 2000rpm. So you don't think it's something in the transmission that is highlighted by the solid flywheel? 

The SMF has no damping properties so any transmission noises will be "exaggerated"

That is one of the reasons why manufacturers install a DMF from the factory to "mask" such noises.

Just don't labour it and keep the revs above 1500 rpm and you will be fine.

What brand of clutch and SMF did you fit?

Thanks for the advice! 

It's a TTV billet flywheel, v nice quality, 6.4kg:

20180223_135547.jpg.4ce39916f54df4ebdb8698fda268061e.jpg

20180223_131708.jpg.7dea8bbfcab7c2d7b6e07854778a3769.jpg

I put an OE slave cylinder in and a Competition Clutch kit from Torqen, which I hadn't heard of but was recommended to me!

I've had solid flywheels (not lightweight exactly) but not had the resonance I'm getting with this setup. Fine down country lanes but driving in traffic may become annoying... 

Thanks again for your help

Edited by chalks
Tried to unsuccessfully get rid of unrelated pic!!

6.4 kg is a tad light and will only add to the chatter.

The lighter the fly the more change in inertia.

However, it is what it is and within a few months you will become accustomed to it.

Perhaps in hindsight, you should have fitted the Extreme clutch and fly kit, which would have been much quieter.