Lyneham Cancelled

Jetpilot

From Motorsport events.

Another one bites the dust: Copy and pasted from another foum.

Lyneham Cancelled – Great Shock and Disappointment

It is with huge sadness we have to report that for the foreseeable future events at MOD Lyneham have been cancelled. 

In brief we are hugely disappointed that the local MP James Gray became involved after complaints from a handful of vociferous locals and seems to have rail roaded the MOD into closing the venue and unbelievably his tone is one of celebration. Please see the points below:

*     We adhered to all the restrictions placed on us, as you know these events are for like minded motoring enthusiasts in road cars, we think some people's opinion is these are race days.

*     At no point are we aware of any noise monitoring in the local area to back up complaints.

*     We would be able to modify the events to reduce noise if given the opportunity.

*     We feel that James Gray the local MP has not considered the fact that many local people have welcomed the events, the income generation for the the site and local area and that we are a local business.

*     Each event at Lyneham we provide places and driver training for military personnel and already the closure is causing great disappointment amongst active military staff.

*     Please judge for yourself the tone of James Gray's press release http://www.jamesgray...ith-mod-lyneham

*     If we genuinely have a detrimental impact on residents lives by holding events we would be the first to act, however, we run for 5 hours and 45 minutes per track day and had permission for 9 of these at MOD Lyneham in 2018. Surely not the most huge of impacts with our road legal cars?

*     Please also note that karting is allowed to continue at the site, when our road legal and road silenced cars are not. 

We are keen to fight this as hard as possible and need your support, the Lyneham Commanding Officer has given us a ray of hope and we need to act fast. Please email James Gray directly jamesgraymp@parliament.uk and copy us in to voice your opinion.

We have just launched an online petition and we would welcome as many signatures as possible to show support. You can sign it here <https://motorsport-e...d4&e=d292682273> , please pass it far and wide.

And people wonder why I bang on about making your car as quiet as possible for track use. In my own experience track days are significantly louder than karting is, so not surprising they're happy to keep one and not the other.

Whilst i agree, i completely disagree, an event shouldnt be shut down without any form of monitoring of noise levels etc, based purely on "some" complaints, a proper study should take place and restrictions put in, if required, 9 days a year is hardly many dude and whilst i agree there shouldnt be open piped cars charging round track days, there should be a far more structured and universal level for acceptable noise/days run and equally valid complaint at every track, if it carries on like this we literally wont have anywhere left. 

P.s i hope you are feeling brighter after recent events! 

Much better, cheers fella :)

I absolutely agree with you, monitoring should be in place, but until we get laws as to what constitutes the exact level of reasonableness (which there will never be) then sadly we have to continue self-policing. My personal opinion is that if you live next to an MOD base then you can hardly expect silence and it's tough titties if they make noise, but at the same time you may not expect an MOD base to be running track days and continous car noise is very different to the odd jet fighter or helicopter taking off.

Bizarrely the MP in question is in the safest of safe seats, so I've no idea why he's pandering to a minority. Especially since he's campaigned so strongly for the RAF base in question to be maintained rather than closed! I suspect there's rather more to it than is being reported, probably because it's negative to both the even organisers and the RAF itself. I'm thinking a very lax attitude to silencers on exhausts (which the RAF turned a blind eye to) and significant hooning when arriving/leaving.

Also, the Change page says that there has "been a complete lack of tests during these events to test if there is an official noise nuisance". Well sorry guys, but if you're not providing noise meters to prove your clients are being too loud then you can hardly complain when someone else decides to kick up a stink. Honestly, sometimes the industry really doesn't help itself.

All good points and interestingly my mate who rallies was supposed to compete this weekend at Bovington Army Base, MOD land, for a rally event and even they have to adhere to noise tests, so i fully understand the need for "sensible" levels and there in lies the key word for me, sensible and i truly wish they would do something about it so we and all the tracks/residents have a "industry standard" in place that allows the days to continue and tracks stay open AND safeguards for residents. Imho it really is time for some common sense to be applied and properly structured otherwise i feel we are just fighting a loosing battle as its just getting worse if all thats needed is a few grumpy residents who get the odd waft of noise for 9 days a year, seems very one sided, when was the last time we heard a track was granted extra entitlement?

Curious to know if they are restricted with regards to flying, amount of aircraft allowed to take off etc

• Like 1

I've done a fair few MSE trackdays (15+ including Lyneham), and they definitely aren't lax when it comes to noise testing, they are very well run and organised days. I've signed the petition but it doesn't look hopeful unfortunately. I know the airfield days aren't 'proper' trackdays as such and they usually rip up your tyres a bit more than Combe, Thruxton etc, but they are still good fun but all seem to be disappearing now. Used to have Colerne, Keevil, Hullavington and now Lyneham which were all local to me.

I wonder how many complaints it takes for a council to get involved and if there is any type of legislation for what actually is considered a noise nuisance?

I am in the building industry and there are council regs in place for working hours etc and the council have every right to stop you working outside of these hours, i really would have thought there should be something far more regulated in place, perhaps its about time the tracks and track day organisers seek to get some proper legislation in line with other industries that create noise, building as an example as if it carries on like this track days will be few and far between, Thruxton is a perfect example imho.

I guess most circuits dont want to upset the apple cart if they operate ok, i suppose there would be nothing worse than some ridiculous draconian db limits and low number of days made legislation like Thruxton as example.

More and more it’s the tyre screeching noise that carries, hence why a lot of TDOs don’t like you drifting. 

I just think it’s a shame that the days of the cheap airfield day are looking over. Had great fun on those when starting out.