New car Purchase - TT or Mustang? EDIT Mustang purchased!

marzman

Decisions decisions.... :lol:

I've decided for the first time in my life to buy a new car.  I've always owned cars that are 8-10 years old at the bottom of their depreciation curve, but i think the time's right in my life to get something new.

I wanted an Audi TT simply because I love the Virtual Cockpit.  I've visited the dealership several times this year and this weekend I settled on the model I wanted - a Nano Grey TT 2.0 TFSI Black Edition S-Tronic with Nav.  The car came to a cool £39,600 with options - just under the all important £40k threshold for new car tax rules.  I've signed on the dotted line and it will be available to pick up from the end of next week.  I would have paid a deposit but their card machine wasnt working so they said they'd get in touch this week to sort everything.

Here's what the car will look like:

AETV65980924_1b.jpg

The thing is though, at no point did I feel excited by the car.  I felt like I was settling for a convenient, half decent motor.  I've never liked the TT previously, and they just dont seem particularly special.

Things came to a head on Sunday night watching the new Top Gear, where they had a Mustang on.  CRAP!!!  How could I forget about the Mustang and buy a TT???? 

Fast forward 3 days and countless phone calls and I've settled on a 5.0 GT Coupe, probably in Grabber Blue.  The options list is quite small anyway but im not having the premium sound system or heated seats in order to keep it under the £40k mark. Just waiting on a call back from the dealer tomorrow to confirm they can get me this car.

I've tried to call Audi to back out of the deal but my sales man hasn't been in work since the weekend.  Ford seem to think I can get out of it (I sent them the paperwork to see if they could advise) but i'm still nervous.  I'll be pretty gutted if I get stuck with a TT. 

So fingers crossed that in the next couple of weeks i'll be driving a Mustang!

577a3616403859fca199ff7a90589646.jpg

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Cheers guys. 

Jim - i'm with you, i've already been scoping out which mods i'll be doing.  I feel like I did 6 or 7 years ago when I had my last zed.

As i'll be buying on a PCP i think i'll need to be careful about what mods i do, making sure they're all reversible etc.  I definitely be adding a gloss black roof wrap with black stripes  (and maybe a red pinstripe).

Worst comes to the worst you'll lose your deposit (even thought they've not taken it yet), or just any difference between what they sell the car for and what you agreed the deal on, but I suspect that Audi will probably be okay with it as it's a relatively easy to sell spec.

Make sure you read the PCP rules very carefully though fella, I know that VAG for example don't allow ANYTHING these days and can (and have) demanded full payment of the car as soon as they found out about any mods. I suspect Ford are relatively more easy going though, but I'd still be reading the paperwork very carefully just in case...

Don't wait until you can get to speak to the salesman who sold you the car - they may have wind that you are thinking of pulling the plug and avoiding your calls.

Get yourself down to the dealership and don't leave till you have sorted it. Insist on speaking to the Sales Manager who will no doubt be in a meeting but just sit and wait, drink all their coffee and generally make a nuisance of yourself until you get to speak to someone.

I don't know the legalities but I suspect that like a lot of financial transactions there is some sort of cooling off period. There must be something that 'protects' the unwary punter who has signed up after the salespeople have done a good job on them.

Without doubt though, the sooner you get it sorted the better.

Hopefully some 'legal eagle' will be along to offer advice soon.

• Like 1

The Mustang in RHD is a once in a lifetime new car opportunity, there'll be banging out TTs for years and, even if they don't, there's thousands out there to pick up nearly new.

I'm certain you'll have a 14-day cooling off period for something on credit, but defo don't wait, get down there and cause a stink until it's sorted.

Cheers guys,

Still been unable to get hold of the Audi dealer so you might be right - they could be avoiding my calls, either that or snowed in at home like the rest of the country.

Dan - good point on the T&C's RE mods, i'll be sure to check it out.

• Like 1

Base rs3 has virtual cockpit and is around £40k. Might be easier to change to another Audi if the dealer is awkward?

Audi options are crazy expensive. Even compared to bmw. 

Edited by Kev

Despite being an RS, i'm not a hatchback guy... I've never liked them.  I think out of the Audi range the TT is the most appealing.  Good shout though about swapping to an alternative.  One to consider for sure.

Hi Chris, am I reading this that no deposit was or has subsequently been left? 

What about contacting Audi Finance direct to cancel? 

Hope you get it sorted mate, I know how much you put into decisions like this. Also hope you're popping round to see me in a Mustaaaang. Last time you called you were in some old Porsche. :p

Edited by leonk

That's exactly the colour I would get the mustang in tbh. The only way a TT can compare in terms of exterior road presence is if you manage to get one in Miami Blue or Viper Green ; these are q hard to find tbh. I also don't like the TT rims even on the RS

Mustang will be harder to live with day to day but is a more of a statement and head turner. Just a bit too large for me personally 

Head Office address

Audi UK,
Selectapost 37
Sheffield
S97 3FH

Phone number: 0800 699 888

Just write to them and call to complain that you feel the dealership is ignoring you and pushing you towards the end of your 14 day cooling off period.

I'd expect you get a call back at light speed after that from the dealership.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marzman said:

Despite being an RS, i'm not a hatchback guy... I've never liked them.  I think out of the Audi range the TT is the most appealing.  Good shout though about swapping to an alternative.  One to consider for sure.

I know what you mean. I think they look more like mini avants though. I love them. Saloon looks good too. 

That mustang is pretty impressive though. 

Edited by Kev

Well... sorry to keep you all waiting.  I wanted to get my ducks in a row before i posted again.

The TT was due to be picked up tomorrow, but after 5 calls I finally got through to speak to Audi and cancel the order at the weekend.  I spun a yarn about getting my maths wrong and not being able to afford it.  They were disappointed, but accepting.

I spent about 4 hours at the Ford dealership on Saturday and test drove a Mustang 5.0 V8 Auto.  The roads were wet/cold, and the dealer spanked it around the industrial estate initially, getting it fully sideways a couple of times.  Nice to see they know how to sell a car of this nature. :teeth:  Anyway, it was a dream to drive - much nicer than I was expecting, although I wasn't pushing on as it was pretty treacherous.  Everything just felt sharp, responsive and on point.

We spent quite a while trying to find a car with the spec I wanted.  We got close, but not quite perfect.  I wanted the Pro sound system and Sat Nav and Reverse parking sensors but the only cars with reverse sensors had the heated seats too which I didn't want (@ £500 and not very good). So I saved myself £25 per month and skipped the reverse sensors/heated seats.  It's got a rear camera as standard anyway so its not the end of the world.

Anyway on to the best bit - I've got the car on a 0% deal for 38 months.  I've only put £1500 deposit in as the money is better off being in my account seeing as its interest free.  I really beat them up on the price, so much so that they're actually losing £900 by selling this car to me!  The facelift model comes out in July and they've got a surplus of pre-facelift cars which they're struggling to shift.  If they dont sell them in time, the dealership has to buy them from Ford and then they'll make a massive loss on each car, so it's better for them to sell to me at a small loss now.  Crazy, but i'm not complaining. :lol:  So i've got a £1500 deposit, 38x monthly payments at £475, then a £18700 GFV payment at the end if I wish to keep it, which i'm sure I will be doing.  3 year old V8's today are still over £30k so if that trend continues i'm sure to have around £10k equity in the car hopefully.

My car arrived at the dealership today so I went to take a look at it.  I've chosen the Grabber Blue colour which is the lighter one on the left.  I definitely made the right decision in my opinion.

The car is ready to collect later this week, but I'm delaying it until the 19th March as that pushes my first payment out until May, which'll help as i'm selling my Range Rover privately.

In terms of mods, Dan, I asked them and they said that modding is fine and to crack on!  First order of business will be a roof wrap and stripes either in gloss black or gloss carbon fibre.  Going to add a pinstripe to the outer edge of the stripes too, in one of red/orange/yellow I think.  It'll need an exhaust at some point too I think, but i'll worry about that in a couple of months.

Anyway, here's a few pics.

IMG_2094.JPG.f14f8c9d6ccab9f5dd4964d71cc894c7.JPGIMG_2096.JPG.47b14ef59b37904f33d6ec3d6c5c49c2.JPGIMG_2098.JPG.2d1ee155d6d36f4b8ce569e8844fbbcf.JPGIMG_2101.JPG.2e971ede47c79baec4856655fe9840c3.JPGIMG_2104.JPG.5fa70791b74d4ab36d5f761b84d0dca3.JPGIMG_2108.JPG.dd644eeb574b2639ea26a123b1a222c0.JPGIMG_2106.JPG.153a3555d94392a2b4eec40ed39b4070.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

Edited by marzman
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, marzman said:

In terms of mods, Dan, I asked them and they said that modding is fine and to crack on! 

I'd want that in writing! Check the warranty terms, and especially that on the finance agreement.

HNCD! :D

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 12:26, leonk said:

Hi Chris, am I reading this that no deposit was or has subsequently been left? 

What about contacting Audi Finance direct to cancel? 

Hope you get it sorted mate, I know how much you put into decisions like this. Also hope you're popping round to see me in a Mustaaaang. Last time you called you were in some old Porsche. :p

Only just seen this. :lol:  Yep i'll pop over, a visit is well over due!