2018 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Chuck something into the mix, MotoGp grids were getting low, Honda and Yamaha dominating, so to attract manufacturers and closer racing certain concessions were granted, increased number of engines, extra testing, more fuel allowed per race, if they scored a podium in a year, the concessions are lost for the next year.

Since that Ducati have upped their game and now regular on the podium, Suzuki, KTM and Aprillia have all come back.

So, room for some concessions in F1 to attract manufacturers?

Edited by Jetpilot

13 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Chuck something into the mix, MotoGp grids were getting low, Honda and Yamaha dominating, so to attract manufacturers and closer racing certain concessions were granted, increased number of engines, extra testing, more fuel allowed per race, if they scored a podium in a year, the concessions are lost for the next year.

Since that Ducati have upped their game and now regular on the podium, Suzuki, KTM and Aprillia have all come back.

So, room for some concessions in F1 to attract manufacturers?

Merit in that idea, but there must be a control on how much manufacturers can spend - that is what is stopping others joining in and why the grids are getting smaller leading to F1 on its current downward spiral. 

I also feel its about time the aero packages are significantly restricted to some very basic formats for all that would not only save huge amounts of development but also set to minimize the turbulence for following cars - something along the lines of Formula E where they seem to run nose to tail without issues.

Wasnt there talks of budget caps some years ago with pretty much all the big boys saying they would walk? Or have i made that up?

I am not sure you can get F1 back to being motorsport rather than entertainment and thats probably all just down to the money in and surrounding F1.

Things will start coming to a head soon on the budget cuts issue:

hhttp://en.f1i.com/news/295048-budget-cap-still-formula-1s-agenda-carey.htmlttp://en.f1i.com/news/295048-budget-cap-still-formula-1s-agenda-carey.html

Bernie got his way in the past, but whether the current owners of F1 have the balls to follow through on the cuts they have floated that Ferrari and a lesser extent Merc have said they will not accept and will walk, remains to be seen.

I simply can't see it carrying on in the same way to survive.

The worrying thing is, I can see Ferrari forcing the status quo and driving the sport under on the premise that they are Ferrari and therefore they are entitled. Ferrari love the model they’ve got with Haas, who are running on a boot string ugly because they get all of Ferrari’s hand-me-downs which Ferrari like because they get a bit of cash for otherwise useless ornaments and, if the rumours are true, another voice.

The budget cap simply won’t work though. It’ll either be so exorbitant that it’s meaningless or the big hitters will employ a team of people to circumnavigate the regulations, adding more pressure on the smaller teams. It’ll just become to lawyers and accountants what the aero regs were to Adrian Newey.