2018 F1 chat thread

Ebized

TV coverage - Sky alternative looks hopeful:

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/-236388/formula-1-launches-streaming-service-f1-tv

And for anyone wanting live info on the current Barcaleno testing, I am finding the streaming here more informative than the Sky blog.

https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/236360/follow-live-the-second-day-of-the-first-test-in-2018

Nice to see Liberty Media and actually doing some media :lol: I think I could stomach $100 a year for no advert viewing, but I will still wait for the Apple TV or amazon apps to be enabled . . . I don't like watching on a small screen :lol:

2 hours ago, GreenLandy said:

They are actually worse than I thought they'd be. They haven't been blended into the rest of the car at all well, despite what all the pundits were saying last year. Hideous

They're already saying they'll be better next year as the teams get used to developing the aero package around them. Some are (marginally) better than others but I'm not sure how much stock I put in that considering it was pretty much the same narrative when the idea was first mooted what, two years ago now? A major rule change requiring a complete overhaul will help as the designers won't just be trying to adapt it to the car as they just look to improve on last year's cars. Starting from scratch again should see them incorporated rather than just stuck on.

They don't look pretty, granted, but for once I actually agree with Fernando Alonso. I feel dirty.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, F1 is not the 'must watch' it used to be and Sky prices (for those who don't have access to Sky Go ;)) is failing to reflect the dying interest.

Suppose this year there is still Channel 4 full coverage for 10 of the 21 races this year and highlights for the other 11 and in some respects the presentation is less cringe worthy - just a shame they don't have Martin Brundle.

All i want to know is why hasnt some genius marketing bod got someone like Victorias Secret or Agent Provocateur on board and painted the halo in as a thong or g string, would imagine thats right right up gangsta playboy lewis's street.

• Haha 1

No its a complete farce, Amir banned for 5 years for deliberate no balls. Him, Warner, Lehman are a disgrace.

The only good thing is, he will never be allowed to forget it, did you see the Barmy Army in New Zealand wore yellow arm bands :teeth:

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 10:41, SuperStu said:

Anyone just sat through "The F1 Show: Australia" on Sky?

I don't know if this a new banterrific direction for the kids, but I've only just managed to uncringe.

I did see, read or hear last year or before they are concerned with the lack of a younger generation being interested in F1 so maybe its a direct campaign to attract a younger audience?

Speaking of their attempts to engage a wider audience, I heard Toto Wolf mention the idea of a breakaway series. This is mainly because Ferrari are having a strop about changing the distribution of prize money, so that non-works teams can at least have a stab at winning. I heard him repeat the oft floated (usually by someone Italian) "Formula 1 needs Ferrari much more than Ferrari needs F1" statement.

For me this is rubbish, I watch to see the technical pinnacle of motor racing and don't give two hoots if Ferrari play or not.  I'd much rather see Williams or Haas be more competitive than bask in the perceived glory of Ferrari allowing everyone else to play with them. What do you reckon?

Personally it wouldnt bother me, but then i am not a fan of a manufacturer so to speak, much more interested in the individuals involved (not so much F1) but same could be said for MotoGp where i do have an interest, if my favourite riders jumped manufacturer, i would still follow them, not stick with the manufacturer.

Posses a very interesting conversation as i guess a lot of people will be manufacturer specific no matter who the driver, you only have to see all the Ferrari banners to realise there would be a lot of p8SSed off Ferrari fans leaving the sport if they left.

I dont think Ekona is far wrong though, its pretty much dead in the water, uninspiring engines, coverage, ridiculous grid penalties, ugly cars, premadonna drivers who act like petulant children, you only have to look back at the last few years of F1 chat year on year  in here to see its not nearly as popular.

F1 would happily survive without Ferrari, and it would be a quick way to save a bunch of cash too. Toto and Lewis are playing a bit of a political game of late with their pro-Fezza comments this weekend, and part of me wonders if they’re jumping ship next year...

Can't disagree with the views that F1has lost its way, dominated by Ferrari and Mercedes having far too much influence on the sport these days.

If they walked (or they are pushed) out then providing Liberty don't ****-up the opportunity of other manufacturers joining in with sensible controls on the engine costs and fancy aero bits then the formula might survive and re-grab the love that so many are losing for the sport. We know Aston Martin, Porsche, Honda, Renault, VW and no doubt others are waiting for what is to be announced for F1 from 2012 onwards.  Maybe there ought to be a rule that no team is run/owned by a motor manufacturer but are there to supply (power controlled) engines to say a minimum and maximum of teams that are not otherwise financially backed by those manufacturers .....?

I have loved motorsport in general all my life but I simply cannot get excited about Formula E, notwithstanding it offers much closer racing than F1, as one vital ingredient is missing for this petrolhead dinosaur - THE NOISE.  It's like playing good music with the the volume turned off and an eerie whine put in its place :surrender: