Prevention > Cure. Steering Lock fix. Fuse removal.

ArsenalMoh

Hi All,

Thought I'd share my experience with this dreaded steering lock issue. DO THIS BEFORE YOU GET THE STEERING LOCK PROBLEM!

Never had any problems with my Z before, drove somewhere, parked up, returned to my car a few hours later and my car wouldn't start. The car didn't seem to be picking up the fact that my key was near the car, so I thought it was an issue with the key, but when I started hunting for clues on the forum, I realised that this was a steering lock issue.

I had ready about the steering lock issue before, but I didn't realise that something could be done about it BEFORE you experience the problem!

In short, I fixed the problem by banging my steering column up and down a few times, and the car finally allowed me to put it into 'Acc' mode.

From there, armed with nothing but my fingernails and a key, I popped the bonnet and followed the video tutorials in the following videos to remove the fuse that :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QTCDIntpUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CkQEE0OIPU

I strongly recommend you have some proper tools with you though, as it will make the job a lot less frustrating!

I was quite lucky to be able to reactivate the steering lock, but would recommend everyone removes the fuse before this happens, as the cost of repair can be in excess of £1k if you don't manage to get any assistance from Nissan, who annoyingly have issued a recall for a select range of cars between 2009-2010, but not for cars who are facing the EXACT same issue outside of this date range! :angry:

Enjoy the picture of the £1k fuse and thank you to everyone on the forum who has shared this valuable advice which saved me over a grand! Really does show the value of the forum.

£1k fuse.jpg

• Like 1

Just putting this out there but mine had the recall about 4 years ago and mine stopped working a few days ago

so thats twice it happened now on both

Sly at kaizer motorsport has now fitted a special box to stop this happening in the future and if this happens to anyone else where you cant start the car trust me contact him 100%

On 27/02/2018 at 16:54, Gary62 said:

Hi do you know if  this issue  has been resolved by Nissan in the 2011 models.

Apparently its 2009 and 2010 cars that suffer and Nissan took it out with the later models but not sure what year that was from 2012 maybe

Even if yours is not an 09 or 10 it could still happen 

Ok thanks for the heads up.It seems most owners that it happens to get the warning ie the key doesn’t work then they jiggle the steering wheel and it is ok.Once this happens they remove the fuse.Have there been any instances of no second chance to remove the fuse.Thats my worry ....should I just remove it and not take the risk.Another worry would be that it may effect your insurance if you have no string lock in operation.

My key played up one day i then changed the battery all good

3 days later the car didnt start and once this happened taking the fuse out did nothing to mine had to get it towed to the garage to fix it

I would take the fuse out 100%

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 22:51, parello9 said:

My key played up one day i then changed the battery all good

3 days later the car didnt start and once this happened taking the fuse out did nothing to mine had to get it towed to the garage to fix it

I would take the fuse out 100%

Presume you are talking about the 370 you bought from me and I had the steering lock recall done during my ownership and hearing you had a 'second' failure only serves to verify, as we have heard from others, that the Nissan 'fix' is not a permanent solution whereas the fuse removal is. 

For any doubters, bear in mind later 370's do NOT have have the steering lock fitted from new (I wonder why!), so as far theft protection is concerned Nissan/Thatcham consider the car is adequately protected without the lock. But if doubts still linger then the fuse removal is the safest answer and do as as Kev ^^^ suggests. 

Edited by Ebized
left out "NOT"

6 hours ago, Ebized said:

Presume you are talking about the 370 you bought from me and I had the steering lock recall done during my ownership and hearing you had a 'second' failure only serves to verify, as we have heard from others, that the Nissan 'fix' is not a permanent solution whereas the fuse removal is. 

For any doubters, bear in mind later 370's do have have the steering lock fitted from new (I wonder why!), so as far theft protection is concerned Nissan/Thatcham consider the car is adequately protected without the lock. But if doubts still linger then the fuse removal is the safest answer and do as as Kev ^^^ suggests. 

I know twice takes the mick 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, coyoteboy said:

Since it's considered part of the security system, if your car gets pinched I'd be mildly worried about voiding your insurance as you've tampered with the system they consider the baseline (you know what they're like)...

How they going to know if you replace it with a blown fuse?

• 1 year later...

Removed the fuse after getting it to turn to acc after grounding the pink wire but still didn’t start.  Put the fuse back in grounded the pink wire again and then it started. Next day it started with just the push button. Later  I tried to start it with the key and it wouldn’t start. Can’t get it to start. What can it be?

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

yeah tried wiggling it up and down and giving it a knock no joy.... Completely dead...there no power. It wont go into ACC

I could leave it outside the garage but it probably have wheels missing or something by Monday. Its booked in for Tuesday and warranty might not cover due to MOT. Looking at a £1000 Plus.