Parking Mode Dash Cams

N8HN

Hoping I haven't reopened something that's already been discussed...

So last week Friday, someone took issue with my Z and decided to leave a lovely collection of four new pinstripes on the door and the rear quarter panel. With a key.

Cue me taking it down to my good friend and top mechanic to sand it down to the bare metal and respray in Ebisu Black across the whole right hand side....plus I'm having to bring forward the date for a compound and polish on the other side to bring it to match. I'm now out of pocket by almost a grand. To say I'm not happy would be a monumental understatement.

My concern is that this incident happened at home, and I unfortunately have to park on a street outside of view of my house. I am paranoid that this is going to happen again, and if it does then I at least need to know who's done it so I can do the necessary - which, as much as I'd like to, won't be taking a spanner to the lout's kneecaps. Somewhat inspired by the chap who caught the guy who keyed his Aston in Hackney - the guy that ended up in the news - that only leaves me with the parking mode dash cam option.

I will need a power manager to connect to the car's battery as the battery packs won't have the necessary life needed if I don't touch the car for a couple days, and I'm staring at a Power Magic Pro from BlackVue to go with one of their top of the range models. Has anyone had any experience with such a setup, and how long will the cam record for if left to its own devices with, say, a 12V cutoff?

Much appreciate any responses guys, thanks!

N

But in all honesty, unless you have full 24 hour coverage of the whole car (and dashcams don’t do the sides), then you’re wasting your money for the purposes of catching someone keying the car. External CCTV would be much cheaper and more effective. 

Edited by Ekona

Haha - I never knew she was married :D

Unfortunately the only option mate, as I can’t get any CCTV coverage from where I currently live versus where the car is...would have loved to be able to do that though

Well my hope is that anyone that approaches the car for a keying session will be seen walking towards it on the pavement because they have quite a wide field of vision. And the mics in the camera would pick up the sound of the key being dragged across the metal.

Not the most ideal solution admittedly but probably the only one given my unfortunate predicament :(

6 hours ago, N8HN said:

Well my hope is that anyone that approaches the car for a keying session will be seen walking towards it on the pavement because they have quite a wide field of vision. And the mics in the camera would pick up the sound of the key being dragged across the metal.

Not the most ideal solution admittedly but probably the only one given my unfortunate predicament :(

But even if it does, you have zero proof that the person in shot did it. All you need is two people walking together and you've reasonable doubt straight away.

I get what you're trying to do, but I can't see it working for your intended purpose.

Well that’s the vid that I’m using as my reference, hence the points I raised. That video was enough to have the chap here sitting in the docks. You can see him reach for the car, and also clearly hear the key.

Perhaps need to think about it some more though.

But you can see him make contact: If no contact was seen, or he approached directly from the side, there's no evidence at all. And even then, so what? Your car is still scratched, you still need to pay out to get it fixed (which you may or may not get back), arseache all round. Prevention is better than the cure, or so they say.

And there’s the problem - I have no realistic means of prevention, short of moving house or chaining a Rottie to the rim spokes. The car is unfortunately parked out of line of sight to my property and on street, so all I can do is aim to catch whoever’s done it (or hopefully deter all but the most determined if they see the cam staring at them).

Believe me if I had a better option I’d take it! Not thrilled about the extra expense! :D

In any case - on the original question, is your Blackvue plumbed into your Z’s battery?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 21:32, N8HN said:

Well that’s the vid that I’m using as my reference, hence the points I raised. That video was enough to have the chap here sitting in the docks. You can see him reach for the car, and also clearly hear the key.

Perhaps need to think about it some more though.

Because he got a kid he got off scot free.....

On 28/02/2018 at 00:02, N8HN said:

And there’s the problem - I have no realistic means of prevention, short of moving house or chaining a Rottie to the rim spokes. The car is unfortunately parked out of line of sight to my property and on street, so all I can do is aim to catch whoever’s done it (or hopefully deter all but the most determined if they see the cam staring at them).

Believe me if I had a better option I’d take it! Not thrilled about the extra expense! :D

In any case - on the original question, is your Blackvue plumbed into your Z’s battery?

Go on ebay and look for cellink b main battery. Lasts 10 hours. Dashcam will come on from movement, vibration etc. Theres some good hidden style chinese ones available, then get a strip tint for more privacy they dont get tempted to try stealing camera 

15 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Go on ebay and look for cellink b main battery. Lasts 10 hours. Dashcam will come on from movement, vibration etc. Theres some good hidden style chinese ones available, then get a strip tint for more privacy they dont get tempted to try stealing camera 

Cheers mate, currently staring at a Cellink B and a BlackVue DR750 right this moment actually. Waiting to get it fitted tomorrow.

I hear the plaintiff actually spoke against jailing the guy because of his kid. Can't say that I'd be as sympathetic to be fair...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2018 at 15:56, N8HN said:

Cheers mate, currently staring at a Cellink B and a BlackVue DR750 right this moment actually. Waiting to get it fitted tomorrow.

I hear the plaintiff actually spoke against jailing the guy because of his kid. Can't say that I'd be as sympathetic to be fair...

Things usually work out for ppl in the aston owners case. Who knows from his sympathy, the guy probably never do it again after public exposure.

The messed up thing is police confiscate so much cash but do victims get funded for things like this. They just close the case and tell you to go through your insurance company. 

I will check out that camera

20 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

An alarm with perimeter monitors not help deter more? 

Dunno. Heard they can be quite an irritation and kids just **** about with them by standing too close?