MOT History

Kev

Can MOT history be changed if it’s factually incorrect?

Someone who is interested in my car has done a MOT history check. It’s states my car had a “badly corroded subframe”.

This is untrue and is down to a incompetent garage who I let mot test my car last year (mitsiland manchester). My car had the common surface rust on the W brace. I tried to explain to the idiots what it was, but they were clueless and incompetent with Z’s, so the car was taken to Lockwood and Greenwood in Ashton. 

They were great, very thorough and passed my car without a advisory. I would never use anyone else for maintaining a Nissan. 

Who if if anyone can I contact to have this amended? It’s really wound me up. 

I doubt it, as technically they're correct in what they're saying (and I'm taking subframe in the broadest possible way here). You've done the right thing, you've got a new one done that shows otherwise, so I'd move on and not worry about it. Can always slap a coat of paint over it to show the next owner that you took it seriously and did something about it, hence why it didn't show up in the next MOT.

My car has a note about badly corroded brake lines, so I had them replaced and now the current MOT doesn't mention it at all. Things go wrong on cars, you just need to spin the answer to the prospective buyer to show that you've sorted it and that the garage was a bunch of muppets.

• Like 1

If it was the current one you may have a slight chance, but a lot of the time is tester discretion and if the garage has a good rating dvsa would do nothing.  The fact that it isn't on the current one suggests that is issue is rectified and if a buyer knows zeds they'd not be put off. 

The potential buyer is fine with it. It just made me mad. 

I can remember the idiot trying to explain to me  that only roadsters have them for additional strengthening. I just looked at him like the idiot he was, asked for my keys and told him it was going to lockwoods. 

The idiot couldnt even even tell me which suspension arms I needed. Turned out to be the common banana arm issue.

lockwoods replaced the banana arms and didn’t even give a advisory. 

7 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

If it was the current one you may have a slight chance, but a lot of the time is tester discretion and if the garage has a good rating dvsa would do nothing.  The fact that it isn't on the current one suggests that is issue is rectified and if a buyer knows zeds they'd not be put off. 

The potential buyer is from m3cutters. They have nightmares about subframes over there. :)

He understands my explanation though. 

Just goes to to show it’s better to stick with garages that know our cars even for the basics like a mot. I can’t recommend Lockwood highly enough for anyone in the northwest. It’s always reassuring to see at least a zed or 2 in the car park when you leave yours with them. Really nice guys too. 

• Like 1

My MOT has the same, last year took it to a place, I had replaced the w brace for an ultra racing one before my MOT because the old one had rusted through, and the mother f@#%er said to me my subframe was badly corroding because the TINY LITTLE BRACKETS that hold the black plastic kidney shaped covers on covering the bolts to the w brace were very rusty, I'm not gunna lie, they were very rusty. I told him about the ally subframe so can't be rusty... he said its connected to the subframe and looks bad doesn't it, if you had painted them before I wouldn't need to put it on an advisory. What a d%@khead.

• Like 1

Not defending mot stations as some are just so pedantic but if any were being spot checked by vosa and your car was pulled as you left, they "could" loose their licence and livelihood, so for them, its just not worth it sorry to say. If you had ever been through the old sva check, mot's seem positively relaxed.

• Like 1

Agree with Jetpilot, I run a test station and the legal hoops we have to jump through are crazy. I've had the DVSA do a full MOT with one of my testers before, I've never seen someone panic so much. The best thing is, it was on my mum's mx5 :lol:

1 hour ago, Jay84 said:

Agree with Jetpilot, I run a test station and the legal hoops we have to jump through are crazy. I've had the DVSA do a full MOT with one of my testers before, I've never seen someone panic so much. The best thing is, it was on my mum's mx5 :lol:

Hi Jay84

Just interested by this post.

My 14 year old Zed just had its service/MOT done on the same day.

It passed its MOT in the morning - yet the during the service the techs said all the brake pads/disks needed replacing (its a long saga - I had all discs/pads replaced a year ago and the techs found a wobble during the current road test - which I knew about but assumed the brakes were still bedding in)

So my question is - should the MOT have picked that up?

Thanks for any advice

TT.

Edited by The Trouser
Duplicate reasons

Mot fail is for pads to be below 1.5mm which is about the thickness of 5p. There is no obligation to have service advisories carried out, but you can't pass an mot without fixing the fails or taking it elsewhere. Discs is excessive corrosion.  Wheels don't come of for an mot so it's whatever can be seen with the wheels on. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 22:38, Kev said:

Can MOT history be changed if it’s factually incorrect?

No, it can't be changed. We spotted an obvious mileage error on The M.O.T certificate when we picked up our Nissan Juke last year (The mileage was several thousand miles lower than when the last service was done 6 months before The M.O.T !!!). Once the details have been uploaded to VOSA they simply can't be changed.

Pete