Difficulty With Shifting?

Fervidia

I took a test drive of a 2005 manual 350z, and I found it really hard to get it in gear; the owner seemed to do it without an issue, and there was no grinding, clunking, or clutch pedal resistance -the gear stick was just acting like there were no notches until I pushed harder. Upon mentioning it to the owner, who makes a living from flipping cars, they said that stuff needs to be more hard-wearing in performance vehicles. It might be of note that the vehicle in question was completely unmodified, and had at least had the slave piston replaced in it's lifetime of <100k miles.

Is this just a feature of Z's, and sports cars in general, or is it a known issue that telegraphs that something is off with the transmission? I can live with this if it is just characteristic of the Z, people often complain about a 'notchy' feeling, but there are also lots of complains about the Volvo V40's notchy gears and I love them.

Best way is to drive a few more and find out for yourself. Various things can improve the shifter feeling, fresh gearbox oil, replace the worn diff bushes, adjust the gear shifter plate under the gear knob gaiter.

I went with diff poly bushes & a gear shifter extender, which make shifting gears a breeze.

5a93304ceb9d0_IMG_20171007_123756077_HDR3.jpg.7933d94d54266ad4dd9767953270edf6.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Best way is to drive a few more and find out for yourself. Various things can improve the shifter feeling, fresh gearbox oil, replace the worn diff bushes, adjust the gear shifter plate under the gear knob gaiter.

I went with diff poly bushes & a gear shifter extender, which make shifting gears a breeze.

I guess that driving a couple more will be one surefire way of noticing faults from faucets I suppose.

I'm not a fan of most shifters aside from stock that I've seen on Zeds, but that's a pretty sexy one. :thumbs:

Edited by Fervidia

With ANY used car purchase, you have to drive a few examples to tell a good'un from a duffer. And yes, it feels as good as it looks B) B&M shifter knob cicra 10yrs I've had it, pretty rare even back then. Had it in ol' Almera GTi.

2e3882db.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

Edited by davey_83

• 2 weeks later...

As an update on this topic, thought I'd let you guys know that the car in question was indeed different in terms of shifting; whether it was worn parts, an aftermarket clutch, or another factor, I am unsure, but my most recent test drive was a notchy, but easy shift.