I need some McLovin'

Toon Chris

I'm having a crap few weeks.  My jobs being really hard and I'm dealing with some very difficult and exacting customers. 

Colleagues all seem to be unable to do anything without asking for my decision or approval and the burden of responsibility is getting pretty heavy - too many things to juggle at once and to much at stake it I make a mistake.  Ok so no-one will die (its computer systems) but the stress levels are pretty high.

At home, my wife is generally great but is a bit fragile at the moment for various reasons and needs a lot of reassurance and attention - something I have very little brain space for although I do try hard. She gets the priority but that then makes work all the harder.

To take my mind off work I run a small sideline in fixing car keys on eBay.  More fool me I suppose but I try very hard to give good service and go over and above what I have to do - getting to the post office fast if someone has an urgent repair, replacing extra parts at no cost if I see they are faulty, giving free advice instead of trying to flog a repair if they don't need it.  Today someone complained that I had replaced the battery in his key when the one in it was already new.  I don't test batteries as they are almost always knackered: I fling them in the recycler and fit a new one every time.  Because he had bought it at sainsburys for £5 he thinks he should have a £5 refund or else, even though I've fitted a brand new one and the exact brand he bought is available on ebay for £1 including postage.  Even though I've offered to send out or pay for a same-brand replacement.

It just makes you wonder why you bother being good to people in general when they can be such bell-ends back to you.

Ok, its a wallow of self-pity I admit that. And nothing on what some of you might be going through. But sometimes you just need to vent and sometimes you just need a kind word.

I feel your pain buddy, the more you do to try and help, the more people try and take advantage, and some industries make it difficult to tell the customer that they're wrong or being a bell end. 

I'm a non technical Garage Manager for a big orange company, meaning I didn't work my way up through the tools. My Assistant Manager has worked his way up, is fully qualified and an MOT tester. I find it soul destroying when I have to tell him how to fix things. When the apprentice was telling him how to fix things, I didn't think much of it as he's very capable and not the least bit work shy, but when I have to tell him bits...a little piece of me dies each time. 

It's difficult having no-one to vent to when things are like that, you need a 'bro' you can go for a pint with and vent to. When my SO and I were on the verge of splitting up again, I went for a beer with my cousin and he listened to me vent. Sometimes he agreed, sometime he said I was being childish (which I totally wasn't lol). Have you got anyone like that? I'd volunteer but I live in Derby and am on kid sitting duty while the wife goes out to karaoke in Notts at a rock club. 

• Like 1

I feel your pain.

All it takes is the constant barrage of "can you just....."

or "have you just got an extra couple minutes to...." from 20 or so people at work and I'm running over an hour behind!

Then I'll get very short with some poor innocent soul who's only crime was to politely ask 

"While I'm here, could you just....."

:lol:

• Like 1

Don’t spend too long long on the things you can’t fix, just worry about the things you can. Don’t ever be afraid to say no to people, and that includes family as well as colleagues. 

Sometimes the only person you need to worry about is actually you. 

• Like 1

For me it's being financially raped in the last 2 months, so far i've had to fork out for:

New turbo (BMW e90)

New starter motor (BMW e90)

New DPF (BMW e90)

Another Re-map (BMW e90)

New thermo (BMW E46)

(all fitted by yours truly which takes some bloody time)

Then there's been the insurance, tax x 2, MOT x 2 and 2 new tyres.

This all came into the ££££s

Plus there's the mortgage of course. 

Yey!  well and truly skint. Not even a toffee crisp in my bank account at the moment. 

1st world problems, i know.  Could've spent that on my GTI-R project. 

O well, next time gadget.....next time. 

Sorry, not much Mclovin there just some extra McMoaning.  (gives toon a bear hug)

Edited by Rock_Steady