Production of diesel Panameras and Macans has ended, and that's that for diesel Porsches

ATTAK Z

Hm... So some 10-15years ago or so with all expert's and brains in automotive industry diesels where something like new revelation, miracle, future, brand's like Porsche who never had diesel in their range started developing them. It was the way to go.... And??

Diesel's are no good now. So much time, hours, money etc for what.... I must say great experts.

And new revelation batteries. Wonder what's next... Fertilisers?

Edited by Snjur

11 hours ago, Snjur said:

Hm... So some 10-15years ago or so with all expert's and brains in automotive industry diesels where something like new revelation, miracle, future, brand's like Porsche who never had diesel in their range started developing them. It was the way to go.... And??

Diesel's are no good now. So much time, hours, money etc for what.... I must say great experts.

And new revelation batteries. Wonder what's next... Fertilisers?

Always a consideration of mine when it comes to ev's and people that are adamant they are the future, i think its impossible to say with 100% conviction what the future will or wont be.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not relevant on diesel topic as I never had a thing for diesel engines although for day to day daily activities I drive a small diesel Ford and I love it mileage consuption is great

Same thing as I read lately is with downsizing and engines included in that cycle. Majority of car manufacturers and experts agree downsizing in general was failure. 

My opinion is that with time they need to bring on market some "invention" which will be accompanied with big media propaganda that will justify flow of money and after the cycle is completed it ends up being called a failure.

Edited by Snjur

I thought diesel only came along en-mass because of all the media hype around the ozone layer and CO2 some years back. That we had to reduce CO2 so diesel replacing petrol made all the sense in the world. Ignoring the fact that it was pumping out nitrogen oxide which because it wasn't on the hit list was ignored as a potential problem. All so daft really!

1 hour ago, coldel said:

I thought diesel only came along en-mass because of all the media hype around the ozone layer and CO2 some years back. That we had to reduce CO2 so diesel replacing petrol made all the sense in the world. Ignoring the fact that it was pumping out nitrogen oxide which because it wasn't on the hit list was ignored as a potential problem. All so daft really!

This!

Also the particulates in diesel exhausts are carcinogenic and can cause cancer so its good get rid from the main bulk of cars.

I have no issues with buses and lorries as long as their filters are maintained.

I'm glad the government are making diesel exhaust emissions more stringent on MOTS from May

• Like 1

Diesels have had their day. They are too expensive to maintain. 

I read on a forum last night that it costs £2000 to replace the injectors on a 4 pot vw diesel. Which is £250 more than it would cost to replace the injectors on a Lamborghini engined s8 v10. Add in egr and dpf problems and they are a false economy. 

Just now, Jay84 said:

They have their place, but a lot of then are owned by people who were sold on the economy but then use them to go a couple of miles a day. That's what kills diesels.  

I have a 2016 xc60 d5 polestar as a daily. It’s a great car. 240bhp, economical, great spec and sounds ok for a diesel being a 5 cylinder. 

Would I own one out of warranty, not a chance. They go wrong and cost a fortune. All the things they put on to make them Euro compliant are too expensive and fragile. 

2016 Astra for work and i love it, but it does the mileage and I'm not averse to thrashing it every now and again.  Although at 30k the internal slave has gone so it's having a new kit, master cylinder and all new clutch lines... thank good for warranty lol.

• Like 1