Poor quality Leather on Nismo Recaro Seats

Bikeracer

My 5 week old Nismo is showing wear on the bottom leather bolster after just 1700miles. Noticed 3 very minor blemishes 2weeks ago which has increased dramatically. Anyone else experienced a similar issue. Will be making a warranty claim for a new seat.

8_F5_B7_D59-_A9_C2-4_A3_A-9_DA0-_A093_C6

E2374756-0_BD2-4_F21-_BCB1-15_B1_E8_D999

86_EE37_FD-_C454-485_B-_B4_B0-_FEB1_F28_

If you are sliding across the bolster when getting in and out then yes, it will get knackered pretty quickly. Maybe also consider what you are wearing in the trouser department, no zips, studs, etc. But please don't resort to driving around only in your trackies or 'lounge wear'.

My son laughs at me because of the way that I enter and exit my Nismo. My bum does not contact the bolster as I piruette in using my hand on the sill for support. Like a 14 stone ballerina : )

13 minutes ago, Ponsonby said:

If you are sliding across the bolster when getting in and out then yes, it will get knackered pretty quickly. Maybe also consider what you are wearing in the trouser department, no zips, studs, etc. But please don't resort to driving around only in your trackies or 'lounge wear'.

My son laughs at me because of the way that I enter and exit my Nismo. My bum does not contact the bolster as I piruette in using my hand on the sill for support. Like a 14 stone ballerina : )

Yes totally agree, however like yourself I’m very conscious of clothing and also have OCD regarding keeping the seats looking mint, which is why I’m shocked by the condition of the sears after 5 weeks.

Forum members complain about BMW leather however very little wear on the seats of my previous M3 after 60,000 miles and the seats were mint in my M4 after 6,000 miles due to my OCD.

Edited by Bikeracer

11 minutes ago, Mikevv said:

I don't mean to be rude but I think it's the way you use the car
Mines a year old in April and I have no such wear, after 6500 miles.

He might just be unlucky with the quality on that seat.

You get 'Friday' cars, so this could be something similar.

I am a short arse at 5ft 5ins but I still find its a bugger to get in and out of elegantly. Its hard not to rub across the bolster. I don't have the answer but I have found using a leather guard protector has helped. You could be OCD and put a small towel over it when you get in and out.

Mine is a 2016 model, 10K miles, and just went outside for a good look.

The leather on mine looks smoother and is completely unmarked.

Given that you are careful, and your car has only done 1700 miles then it is certainly worth taking up with Nissan.

It almost looks as if they ran out of sealer/top coat when your seats were made.

I've only recently developed similar wear on my side bolster, but mine has been my daily for the past 13 years!

I'll post up a thread this weekend as I'll be touching it up with leather paint and a top coat sealer.

Definitely doesn't look reasonable for such limited use whether you crawl in carefully or not.

On 20/02/2018 at 15:03, nissanman312 said:

A good leather moisturiser will help as well keep it nice and supple 

No, it really won't I'm afraid.

Top coated leather; moisturiser never comes in contact with the leather, therefore does nothing but attract dirt, which only encourages wear, and empty your wallet. 

10 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

No, it really won't I'm afraid.

Top coated leather; moisturiser never comes in contact with the leather, therefore does nothing but attract dirt, which only encourages wear, and empty your wallet. 

Don't do what I said ....i was wrong :lol:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Kev said:

Totally unacceptable. You shouldn’t have to be careful getting in and out of a car. 

Some cars by default you kind of have to. The VX220s were notorious for it, as sliding over the bolster/lip meant most were worn/split. Thats natural materials for you, they do just wear and fade although appreciate the OPs one has happened quickly...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nissanjuke said:

that's bad crack from Nissan especially on a Nismo, they should be investigating this after they replaced first one, did they say anything to you?:)

The first time they stated they had been in touch with recaro and they had admitted responsibility for faulty leather. The second time nothing was said didn’t even have to take the car in to let them see I simply called the dealership...who by the way were excellent on both occasion and they ordered a new one. Both time they were factory orders and took 3-4 weeks to arrive.

3 hours ago, nissanjuke said:

well that's the first time I have heard Nissan giving good service, well done you :thumbs:

I’ve seen Nissan doesn’t have a good reputation when it comes to customer services but Alex F Noble in Edinburgh have been spot on. 

You have to remember leather is a natural product so the quality will always vary. There will be checks and processes in place at all steps throughout the manufacturing process (leather supplier, sewing shop, seat assembler and Nissan), but some defects will always get through. It can happen on a 10K Dacia or a 200K Bentley, but the dealer/OEM should sort it with no hassle.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 24/02/2018 at 01:57, bigjackb said:

The first time they stated they had been in touch with recaro and they had admitted responsibility for faulty leather. The second time nothing was said didn’t even have to take the car in to let them see I simply called the dealership...who by the way were excellent on both occasion and they ordered a new one. Both time they were factory orders and took 3-4 weeks to arrive.

This is good info, will most of the dealers replace or is it a battle as i am going to go for a nismo once my zed has sold

As stated previously this is a common weakness. My car had light use under my ownership and I am not a big person. The leather still got worn on the side bolster where your thigh rises over it getting in and out. I found using Auto Glym leather balm on a weekly basis helped keep the leather soft and from wearing. Not ideal but you could put a towel over it as you get in and out if you are fanatical.