nearly crashed

kernow zed

Hi There, was coming up to a roundabout at a reasonable speed and applied the brakes only for nothing to happen. Managed to swerve onto the side verge avoiding the cars in front but went straight through the roundabout at considerable speed but no one in the way otherwise a nasty crash would have happened. Cautiously drove home about 10 miles. there is only the slightest amount of braking on applying them but the handbrake sign, traction control are permanently lit. put a code reader in but only 1147 comes up which is for a dodgy rear o2 sensor which already know about. Scared the crap out of me to be honest as I would have crashed if there hadn't been anywhere to go.

Had a similar problem at the end of my road after washing my rims.

Probably had shampoo left around the discs and pads.

Now I always do a couple light pedal presses before reaching the junction to clear the brakes after washing rims.

Glad you're ok as you had a much scarier moment than me!

I agree with fluid leak, However I was under the impression we had dual circuit brakes - which is supposed to stop all 4 corners failing in the event of a leak.

Just curious as to why that didn't do it's job - unless the leak is before the ABS  of course then it would make sense sort off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyser said:

I agree with fluid leak, However I was under the impression we had dual circuit brakes - which is supposed to stop all 4 corners failing in the event of a leak.

Just curious as to why that didn't do it's job - unless the leak is before the ABS  of course then it would make sense sort off.

I would agree, although the OP does say there was some braking afterwards which may indicate the dual circuit protection was operating although thankfully I have never experienced brake failure to know how effective having just one front and one rear brake would be?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 22/02/2018 at 21:19, kernow zed said:

was a rusted through brake line. Back on the road again :)

I would seriously question who did your last MOT and service. Pretty normal for any good place to pick up on that kind of stuff before it goes. 

My advice, change your MOT garage.