Clutches in the Z's

fergie1471

Is it a common problem that the clutches are not robust enough in the Z cars and is there a suggested upgrade if I change again. When had my first 350Z the clutch went in about 3 months. fair enough, wear and tear as it wasn't a brand new one but still under warranty so it was done for free. Then my second 350Z clutch went after a euro trip I had done when I was about 1 mile from the nurburg ring so I had to get the car recovered and never actually did make it to the ring. Now in my 370, I went to pull away at the lights yesterday (might have been showing off a bit) but as with what happens when you try to show off, my revs went full scale and my car just sat there in an all to common smell of clutch again. So my question is, is it my luck, my driving, or is there just too much torque for these cars for the clutches that they fit?  and is there a "giving it beans" clutch out there if I need to replace it again before I do another road trip as im starting to not have the confidence that I used to have when doing my road trips?

I'm keen on the answer too, I experience problems with mine when showing off. Sometimes when I floor it from a set of lights the clutch half engages even when I've released it. It has some drive but revs shoot up massively. Same thing when changing up to second and third. You can put your foot under the clutch pedal and kick it fully out but by the time you react it's too late. This is the first sports car I've had so I assumed it was some sort of safeguard. 

I looked into the Xtreme Stage 1 Clutch and Fly wheel as it should make a difference for track driving but I only have 14k on the clock so thought I would try and get more use out of this clutch first.

It could be a sticky slave cylinder not completely engaging the clutch that's the issue during fast clutch releases. You may also be driving with your foot on the clutch causing premature wear? Xtreme clutches have a great selection from stock replacements right upto full on drag spec so will definitely have a clutch suitable for what your needing

2 hours ago, JJ370z said:

I'm keen on the answer too, I experience problems with mine when showing off. Sometimes when I floor it from a set of lights the clutch half engages even when I've released it. It has some drive but revs shoot up massively. Same thing when changing up to second and third. You can put your foot under the clutch pedal and kick it fully out but by the time you react it's too late. This is the first sports car I've had so I assumed it was some sort of safeguard. 

I looked into the Xtreme Stage 1 Clutch and Fly wheel as it should make a difference for track driving but I only have 14k on the clock so thought I would try and get more use out of this clutch first.

I had the problem with the sticking clutch pedal on the 350 and that was a master cylinder problem.

Reading up on it now I could probably do with a stage 1 or 2 clutch too. Never had this problem with any other cars iv owned (S2000 etc) just on the Z's so that's why im thinking torque is the problem. You would just think cars like these would be built to be given a bit of stick

They have all been second hand cars so couldn't tell you how much they had done when i got them but the first one was about 300 mile. The second I was at the end of a euro trip so been spending a week blasting up mountain passes in the alps around France/Switzerland/Italy etc but I was with about another 7 or 8 cars that didn't have a problem and all made the ring on the way home. The current car has about 45K on the clock so assume its the original clutch but only just had the Pilot sport 4's recently fitted and think they have more grip than the clutch plates when trying to do a burn out :lol:

It really must be swings and roundabouts with these clutches as Im still on the oem clutch at 115k miles and it hasn't once thought about slipping, touch wood. I am prepped and ready for getting a new one fitted however for when that time comes.