350z Oil

grayman

Hi guys.

Ive been looking at changing my oil for my 2006 350z to a new supplier. Been looking at Smith & Allan oils and their prices are amazing. They have been around for some considerable time as well. 

Ive bought some to test in my works car (Renault megane estate 1.5 dci). However I decided to email them regarding their Unelite VX 5W/30 which is currently on their website at £9.71 ! YES £9.71 (at this price for a temporary period).

This is the response I got back and it looks promising. What are your thoughts?

Hi Grahame,

I see that that the recommendation for this vehicle using Shell/OATS system, is that of a Fully Synthetic, ACEA C3, 5W/30 or a Part Synthetic 10W/40. It explains the minimum criteria of API SH, SJ, SL / ACEA A2 (Now obsolete) 10W/30.

Unelite VX 5W/30 is primarily formulated to meet the performance criteria as detailed by VW specs 504.00 & 507.00. These are based around ACEA C3 criteria. The formulation of this product is of particular high quality with a high percentage of the base fluid been Polyalphaolefin (Group IV synthetic), so in theory this coupled with an approved VW 504.00/507.00 additive pack should outperform a standard fully synthetic ACEA C3 type product.

The approved formulation for Unelite VX 5W/30 shows less volatility, against the ACEA C3 specification 11% vs 13%<

Both display exactly the same High Temp / High Shear rate and in terms of shear stability, both specs are reported to stay-in-grade

With regards to other things like Cam/tappet pitting and wear; ring sticking; piston and valve deposits, the two specifications not surprisingly display very similar results indeed.

So in short Unelite VX 5W/30, is not the recommendation for this vehicle, but I see absolutely no problem in using it, based on the fact that it is a match against the recommended ACEA C3 product and by far outperforms the minimum requirements for this vehicle.

Apologies for the long winded answer, I trust that it helps somewhat. For the record this fluid is only at this price for a temporary period.

I think it's a waste to be honest, unless it's cheaper.  Most jap stuff and non eco boosted fords all run in the same oil. I agree it probably won't do any harm, but neither will there be any benefit. VAG oil costs my garage 846 quid plus vat for 205 litres (Mobil 1). By comparison  the Ford and Jap stuff is just under 400 quid for the same amount.  5w-20 eco boost stuff is pricey, as is the 0-20 for the high revving Honda's. 

Also, a little tongue in cheek bit, the rev ups burn the oil faster than the service intervals anyway if you believe the hype:lol:... not that mine does. 

26 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

I think it's a waste to be honest, unless it's cheaper.  Most jap stuff and non eco boosted fords all run in the same oil. I agree it probably won't do any harm, but neither will there be any benefit. VAG oil costs my garage 846 quid plus vat for 205 litres (Mobil 1). By comparison  the Ford and Jap stuff is just under 400 quid for the same amount.  5w-20 eco boost stuff is pricey, as is the 0-20 for the high revving Honda's. 

Also, a little tongue in cheek bit, the rev ups burn the oil faster than the service intervals anyway if you believe the hype:lol:... not that mine does. 

Its £9.71 for 5ltrs 

£43 for 20 ltrs

£430 for 200ltrs

Id say its cost effective for a for a VAG oil?

I'm going to test it first on the Renault ( sorry Megane lovers) before I give my 350z a taste.

Just needed to see if any oil experts out there can see any issues jump out at them when they read the response from Smith and Allan. 

In regards to their customer service , I've heard nothing but good things, But customer service doesn't protect your pistons lol