Building a 1/24 scale 350Z

galaxyg

I build quite a few model car kits so this is not new to me.

Fortunately my own 350Z is Kuro black, so this is going to be a straightforward build. I've chosen the "track" version of Tamiya's 350z as it comes with the small boot spoiler that UK spec Zs have. Unfortunately this particular kit does not steer but in most other ways it's the same as a European spec 350z - closer than I could find in kits by other manufacturers. My own 350Z is entirely unmodified also so that helps too.

The two areas of my car I'm not going to duplicate are the rust on the nearside wings, and the fact that despite being solidly fixed to the car, my exhaust is not quite straight. I think a mounting hangar is a bit bent.

Where the Tamiya kit does differ from a European Spec car is the number plate areas. There's no front mount and the rear enclosure is JDM plate sized. This is where I'll address the bodywork first, as below.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip001.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip002.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip003.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip004.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip005.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip006.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip007.jpg

Now I'm cleaning up the few mould lines across the front.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip008.jpg

• Like 4

A load more pics. First, cutting some plasticard and gluing into place for the front bumper number plate mounting.
 Then sanding off so it makes a flat surface for the number plate to sit on.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip009.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip010.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip012.jpg

Drilling a hole for the rear spoiler mounting nub.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip011.jpg

Body is ready for undercoat

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip013.jpg

In this instance I find matt black works just as well as an undercoat as regular primer. Car looks pretty cool Matt black.
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip014.jpg

Here's the first top coat of black. It's a bit orange-peely at the moment but I'll be sanding this later. Also at the side are some shots of the 1:1 car, my 350z.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip015.jpg

A lot of smaller parts prepared and ready for spray painting.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip016.jpg

By drawing on the underside of the boot storage area with a red marker, I can use it as a stamp to plan out the carpet template. As I usually do, the carpets are made from spray painted sandpaper which gives a realistic enough scale finish to the roughness of the material once double-sided taped down inside. I do the same for the driver and passenger floor mats too.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip017.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip019.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip020.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip021.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip022.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip023.jpg

Drilling a pilot hole for the door handle. There are both sides available in the kit, as the kit includes steering wheels,wipers etc for both US and Japan/UK configurations.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip024.jpg

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip025.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip026.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip027.jpg

Tamyia handily includes window masks for most of the windows. But never the main side windows. I have spare making material for these however.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip028.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip029.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip030.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip031.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip032.jpg

• Like 2

Drilling some holds and using a cut-up clothing tag for the air valves, to be painted black.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip033.jpg

Might as well paint the inside of the exhaust tips as well since I have the black paint open.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip034.jpg

Some cables and wires on the underbody, with ref from my own car. Not sure what the white ones do - they look terribly exposed to weather/damage but they appear to be electrical in nature and go into the Y-pipe, I guess some kind of exhaust sensor. The clothing tag is again useful and I'm not done with it yet either, the thicker part will make a suitable stubby aerial.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip035.jpg

6 shots of the underside from start to finish. I've tried to aproximate the incredible amount of surface rust on the underside of my car. Those familiar with the underbody of the 350Z will notice there is no W brace here - it's not moulded in or included in the kit.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip036.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip037.jpg

Polishing the body

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip038.jpg

Test fitting floor pan to body.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip039.jpg

• Like 4

Further work to complete the interior. I find it easier in most cases to just cut out the decal and leave it on it's card backing , then use a dab of white glue to stick it into the "tunnel" formed by the dials/dashboard area rather than to get the flimsy and easily tearable decal to go down there and sit right.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip040.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip041.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip042.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip043.jpg

• Like 2

Very enjoyable reading this and looking at your pictures galaxyg of your Tamiya. :thumbs:

I've built loads of these kits and like you enjoy going the extra mile to add authentic details whenever possible. I have to admit though that when I did my 350Z I didn't think to go as far as adding the wheel valves. Kudos. B) :clap:

Further progress all the way to completion. I will take a lot more/better photos of the completed car in the next few days.

The polished body is as much of a pain to keep clean as the real car. Why did I buy a black one? I should have learned after the black Honda Prelude.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip044.jpg

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip045.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip046.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip047.jpg
tamiya-nissan-350z-wip048.jpg

Photographed my own number plates and printed some 1/24 scale versions to fit here.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip049.jpg

My own B Pillars are wrapped in carbon fibre stickers as one of the was scratched when I got the car, so I've duplicated this effect into the model.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip050.jpg

Various finishing details. The Honda S2000 stubby aerial I fitted is made from the last of the clothing tag, (Blue arrow) and borrowed from other kits are the Nismo stickers I have on my B Pillars and the joke Japanese emissions sticker on the back window.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip051.jpg

Completed model, to be photographed better later.

tamiya-nissan-350z-wip052.jpg

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, veeg33 said:

You'll have to sell the model as well if you were to sell your zed.........

Thanks. I'm hoping to not have to contemplate selling the Z for quite a long time but I have considered whether or not to chuck in the model with the sale.  Last time, I sold my RX-8, I kept the model as a reminder - partly because the "helper-car-expert" person that came with the buyer was such an obnoxious character.

fujimi-mazda-rx8-27.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/14/2018 at 11:15, galaxyg said:

Thanks. I'm hoping to not have to contemplate selling the Z for quite a long time but I have considered whether or not to chuck in the model with the sale.  

I'd say definitely don't. No one will appreciate the time and effort that's gone into making that model like yourself.

I've got a nice glass display case from Ikea which I display my 1/24th scale and other model kits I've built in so I'd suggest you do the same so that you can keep them in good condition to enjoy in the future. B) :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...