Insuring a Cat D,C,N,S Car

Kev

I was aware that some insurance companies won’t insure repaired write offs. But I’ve just read that some that do insure them (Axa was the example), won’t pay out if the car is stolen or for damage caused by another driver. 

Seems weird to me. Has anyone had a cat c or d car?

Thanks

Where did you read this?

AFAIK, they will pay out just at a reduced cost simply because the car is worth less in the first place. And of course, if the damage is the other driver's fault then they will be claiming from their insurance, not yours.

I’m willing to bet what happened was that the value of the car was less than the policy excess, so no money was due. Same with any car, Cat marker or not. Trouble is it never gets reported properly, so you end up with stories like this floating around. 

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

I’m willing to bet what happened was that the value of the car was less than the policy excess, so no money was due. Same with any car, Cat marker or not. Trouble is it never gets reported properly, so you end up with stories like this floating around. 

That would make sense. 

I appreciate they they don’t pay out as much if the car is stolen or written off.

ive always been of the opinion, that if the car has been repaired properly and has photos of the repairs and receipts for the parts. They aren’t a bad buy. 

Im just trying to work out how much less they should be worth. Some seem to advertise them for the same price as cars not on the register. 

My understanding is that the insurance is largely unaffected, it's just the vehicle value that takes a hit.

Harder to resell too but with a lower purchase price that should come out in the wash..

As you say if it's been well documented and repaired correctly, shouldn't be any issues.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/02/2018 at 21:43, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

Just to let you know that the majority of ours insurance schemes have no issues insuring cat c, d, n or s vehicles.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan, is it true that if a cat D car is stolen or written off insurance will only payout 50% of a equivalent non listed cars value?

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the question and it's not quite that straightforward. 

I believe if you are buying a Category C or D Total Loss then the purchase price will be significantly less at the outset than a non-written off one.

So if it is again stolen or written off the settlement figure will reflect that reduced valuation. 

It can't reasonably be expected by the purchaser to be indemnified for an amount in excess of what the vehicle is worth.  That's effectively the insurance 'contract' - placing the insured in the same position they were following an accident as they were pre-accident.

I hope that this helps.

Dan