It's that time again! (possible new car purchase)

nowhereboy

It's been a while since I've posted on here, been over to the dark side and became quite involved in the Fast Ford Scene over the last year or so. After spending quite a lot of time around the MK2 Focus RS recently I was set on buying one later this year and getting myself in a position to pick one up. A well sorted RS with 400+ BHP is an absolute thrill to drive and sounds fantastic! My ST while plenty fast feels like a boat in comparison, they really did a sublime job with the handling and reducing torque steer in the RS. 

However circumstances have changed, Me and the Mrs got offered a house we couldn't refuse. The house is awesome but I now live over an hours drive away from work and I'm currently spending over £100 a week in fuel, this on top of decorating a new house is breaking the bank a little at the moment and taking the fun out of the car. Unfortunately this means the RS off the cards for the time being and I have to look at if it's really worth keeping the ST. I have done a lot of driving, moving stuff around etc which has contributed to the cost and I intend on waiting until things settle into a routine so I can judge things better but it's looking likely that I'll be looking for something a bit cheaper to run in the near future. 

So, budget will be a max of 10K but ideally 8K, I'm looking for something with good handling, involving to drive and light. Has to be big enough to fit kids in the back when needed and fun enough to attack a B road in every now and again, I'm not worried about it being some eco machine but being able to achieve above 30 mpg + on the motorway is necessary.  

Current contenders 

DC5 Integra - Top of the list at the minute for obvious reasons but top of budget for a decent one and getting old now

FN2 Type R - cheap and cheerful but a bit bland to drive

Renault sport Clio - the 200BHP one, nice handling and good fun, awful interior and a bit of a young lads image and I'd probably feel a bit daft driving one 

Fiesta ST - Does have boost and again meant to be great fun but I can't help but feel it's just a worse version of my car and that might get on my nerves 

Thoughts guys? Any other idea's? 

DC5 Is looking like the likely option, will have to be fairly high miles in my budget as sub 70k ones are going for silly money. Non within 100 mile of me which is a bit of a pain in the rear end but I'm prepared to travel for the right car. 

Never considered the BRZ/GT86 - off to pistonheads again :lol:

My SO wanted the GT86 instead of the Zed, the Zed was the compromise. I think the right DC5 would be worth the trip to purchase. You can always do what AttackZ did and get a local member to have look and take some pictures if it gets that far. 

The DC5 is a cracker, you could always go down the more practical route and save more cash by getting an EP3. There are some bargains out there and in my opinion knock the spots of an FN2 for driving pleasure.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Lot's of votes for the Wee Honda! 

I've had two EP3's one was stripped, semi caged and running Kpro ecu etc, the Mrs Daily drives a FN2 Type R at the minute too. 

Currently looking at a Jackson Racing Supercharged EP3 and a JDM EP3 with the Diff in champ white. 

Really keen on the JDM EP3 actually and I always wanted one back when they came out, still hold very good money for an EP3 tho 7K + 

JDM EP3 - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/civic-type-r/honda-civic-type-r-jdm-fresh-import/6604330

Supercharged EP3 - https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/civic-type-r/honda-civic-mk6-type-r--jackson-supercharged-288bhp-full-service-history/8321251 

Supercharged seems like a good option as it retains decent fuel consumption if driven sensibly, it also means I wouldn't be looking at a huge decrease in straight line performance. 

The hardest part of getting rid of the ST will be loosing the effortless Torque and Power.

Yea I quite like that. 

It will be a bit of a weapon with 290BHP, the EP3 is a very light car. Jackson racing charger is a solid set up so shouldn't really have any reliability issues. 

I really do prefer the unique aspect of the JDM version tho, could always buy a Mint low miler and look into boosting it at a later date when the funds allow it. 

1 minute ago, Jetpilot said:

I am sure its had a lot of money spent on it etc etc and i really have no idea of Civic values but £8k for a Civic!!!!! :surrender:

8K is about right for a boosted one that's been done properly. The EP3 Prices are going a bit mad at the minute tho I agree, a low mile Premier edition will fetch 7K + now. 

1 hour ago, nowhereboy said:

8K is about right for a boosted one that's been done properly 

Sure, but a Civic costing £8k :wacko: I know its your money and ticks the boxes, but there are so many way better cars for £8k out there, just couldnt hand over that sort of cash for a Civic, no matter how good.

Good luck with the search.

13 minutes ago, nowhereboy said:

Hmm, Big heavy V8, ticks all boxes in my OP :lol:

:lol: 

In fairness the only box it doesn’t tick is the light one. It’s quick, good handling, involving, plenty of room for kids in the back plus you’ll easy get 35mpg on a motorway run. But it definitely ain’t light :lol: 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Sure, but a Civic costing £8k :wacko: I know its your money and ticks the boxes, but there are so many way better cars for £8k out there, just couldnt hand over that sort of cash for a Civic, no matter how good.

Good luck with the search.

Their may well be better cars out their for 8K but not necessarily ticking the boxes I need currently. To me 8K for a boosted Type R is pretty good value, I mean it's likely to be very reliable,  very fast and cheap to run. It would leave most of the modern 30K plus hot hatches wondering wtf just happened when it goes flying past them on track too. 

I get it tho, it's a lot of money for a civic. 

Saying that I paid 11 grand for a ford focus last year soooo.....

Edited by nowhereboy