Mars next stop :)

gangzoom

4 hours ago, Zeezeebaba said:

A difference in opinion is the driving force in discovering new things. I particularly liked the study on the rate of universal expansion based on stars going nova. They said a nova is a cosmic constant regardless of star type. I'm lot a physicist but have an interest in all of this and find it fascinating. 

Every day brings a new discovery and thats living :)

I do feel a little sorry for those basing their lives on Internet propaganda that supports their viewpoint on the earth being flat or us not going to the moon, believing in deities etc.

All I know is this, if the planet was run by scientists and not politicians it would be a much less stressful place and in better condition than it is now!

Screenshot_20180210-151934.thumb.png.a3858bea033cf0a703eab9eb0365983d.png

Yes however NASA does themselves no favours, and remember how the Predator was able to bend light around him - these guys can do it too!!!

Surely any signal lost would affect the entire picture, not just the green screen actor'nauts and a few items in the foreground.......

5a7f10a5cb920_Screenshot_20180210-1524412.thumb.png.8ce46dedc66d97a94555867409f838f9.png

5a7f10b0bf83b_Screenshot_20180210-1523122.thumb.png.641c4b61f06e7d4deb342dab3dc91aac.png

5a7f10ba0c539_Screenshot_20180210-1523192.thumb.png.a037bad1260a8c7f7f2e1b1e8eb9ee2b.png

Captain James Cook was an interesting dude, amazing map maker from the 18th century. His maps today are still used, he never mapped Antarctica even though supposedly that was his mission.

What you think?

He had a bit of a bad ending in Hawaii. His ship was badly damaged and had to return to Kona. Unfortunately the local islanders who had been busy celebrating the festival of love when he left were busily engaged in paying homage to war deities.

When he and some men went to reclaim a boat the locals stole it didn't go too well for them.

• Like 1

Yeah didn't end well sadly. NASA name their rockets after this guys ships. You can supposedly overlay his maps with satellite images and they line up like my left hand over my right. The fact that this dudes maps are still used today some 250 years later, obviously all done by eye and at sea level is astounding.

Clearly this guys was the very best at what he did, claiming countries along the way for the Queen. It wasn't the lack of technology holding this guy back, he's sailing the seas and drawing what he see's. Years and years at sea, circa 60,000 miles covered in one voyage, overall three attempts and yet he never mapped/found Antarctica. Don't add up............

A quick Google (I admit I don't know enough about Mr Cook and his attempts at finding Antarctica) shows he knew Antarctica was there, made a number of attempts to reach it but was forced back by floating ice (unsurprisingly) But after a number of unsuccessful attempts to navigate the ice had actually crossed the Antarctic circle and had traveled further south than any one had done before. What are you referring to that doesn't add up?

Doesn't add up that he couldn't circumnavigate Antarctica, the distance covered makes more sense on a flat earth compared to a globe IF one didn't know better. He saw it alright and describes its look in detail, Cook was no fool. I'm going to order one of his books, as above all else its very interesting.

Edited by davey_83

When folk 'flat earth', do they mean like an upside down dinner plate? Or like a Discworld novel? Because my evidence for it being spherical is: The Square route of eye height x 1.5, is the distance to the horizon, which work using Pythagoras and the assumption the earth is spherical. And its easily proved using a friend also with a smart phone with gps

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Doesn't add up that he couldn't circumnavigate Antarctica, the distance covered makes more sense on a flat earth compared to a globe IF one didn't know better. He saw it alright and describes its look in detail, Cook was no fool. I'm going to order one of his books, as above all else its very interesting.

I couldnt help but look into this and it is mental what people are saying, dismissing so many questions against flat earth by trying to highlight selective extracts of diaries from Cooks travels - these lot should be politicians the dodging of the questions is on a grand scale.

There is the fact that a Cook trip to the Antarctic took 3 years and 60,000 miles to do which lends nicely to flat earth theory i.e. its the edges of a flat earth he traveled, but it ignores that over those 3 years he returned to many countries and headed back to it actually only spending a few months at a time looking at the ice barriers. Half the time he was lording it up in the sun in southern oceans, visiting 10 other countries.

Also it doesn't explain how he successfully navigated Earth using celestial navigation which relies on your distance to the horizon vs position of the stars, which apparently wouldn't change on a flat earth. Apparently the reason from flat earthers is that the stars are much much closer than we are told - of course no evidence presented to back this up but thats that challenge sorted apparently :headhurt:

• Like 1

Yeah never a straight answer but it's not easy model to get one's head around.

I also like flight paths, in 2004 when going to Jamaica I thought why for hours on end are we following the coast line all the way to the west Indies?

UK, to a country with nowt but Ice *later looking and Greenland or parts of Canada fits that bill. Then New York very recognisable out the O/S window, then followed by land and then coast until there wasn't any left. I remember this vividly as I thought we were going to Vegas, seem to be over land so long from the view out the window. Anyone who has flown over the US on a clear day will know the east cost is peppered with ovals. For miles and miles, at a guess honestly saw between 50 and 70 ovals. Either race tracks or horse racing tracks, then followed the coast thereafter.

At for I thought it was a safety thing as should the plan go down, your buy land. Since then I never thought about it. However looking at this again and that path we took is a straight shot on a flat plain oddly enough. From what I gather advertised flight paths to the west indies go across the Atlantic ocean and doesn't trace the coast. 

Screenshot_20180212-152407.png

IMG_20180211_201542181~3.jpg

IMG_20180211_201542181~2.jpg

IMG_20180211_201537651~2.jpg

Edited by davey_83

There is so much evidence against flat earth I cannot really buy into any of it. Why are different stars only visible from different places on earth? Why could I not see the ocean from the top of Mount Fuji when I was up there it is only 100 miles or so? I presume all the photos from space are just called out as fake news? A little google also shows Antarctic teams starting from opposite sides and meeting at a point in the middle? 

What I see is a mass acceptance of very specific scenarios which might support the theory and a rejection with no evidence of anything conflicting it. Its called Confirmation Bias and is common amongst conspiracy theories. I guess everyone who jumps in the U2 spy plane for tourist trips to the upper atmosphere have to sign Pentagon level NDAs not to tell the world that what they see is a spinning disc ;)

• Like 1

image.jpeg.d6a6633c1f5efbb88d644cfe204c9afa.jpeg

This is the flight plan to HK when I visit my dad. I assumed it was so we cut out war torn middle east. But its actually because its more fuel efficient to go north. Something to do with the efficiency of the engines at the colder climates and it being mathematically shorter distance due to spherical planet. 

• Like 1

Ok...so I now believe the earth is flat (hypothetically of course), Is the moon flat also, just at a 90 degree angle so we always look upon it from above? Can the same be said about the other observable planets? Also, when you're at cruising altitude above the ocean, is the curvature of the earth not visible? 

• Like 1

How can total eclipses happen if the earth is not circular, and when they do they are circular in shadow and not eliptical? Why do I see ships sail away from me and sink into the sea if its flat? From what I remember from Physics GCSE was that very large things with mass generate gravity at their centre, if the earth were flat would we not all be pulled sideways to the middle not downwards? And of course any one travelling into space is under instruction never to say the world is flat, somehow this has managed to have been applied to anyone from James May in a U2 to every astronaut ever that has gone up there from any country? 

Ha, no wasn't saying you were :) I have heard a few bits and pieces about it over the last year after some celebrity endorsements but spent 10 mins or so reading some of the pro FE websites and it really is daft, it really is that someone can read something so superficial and just go for it. 

Again this is interesting and doesn't fit the globe model. Either the water is flat as per every test ever conducted or the salt flat is curved over the 10.5km sq and the water curves with it.

I guess water need for surface area to start doing its thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2017/feb/23/bolivias-salt-flats-in-pictures

Screenshot_20180212-163409.thumb.png.4137a1886746639f03548db0eab415de.png

Edited by davey_83

• coldel locked this topic