Mars next stop :)

gangzoom

Anyway, what's the benefit if the earth is flat? Doesn't change my life. If it's flat it's flat, i'm happy to accept it, if it's round it's round! Bonus. I guess the FE crew can say " Ha!, told you so" ........... and then?  A disco? 

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SuperStu said:

When you dismiss evidence derived from the scientific method, recreated by totally independent individuals across many different organisations and countries, in favour of anecdotes and conjecture. How do you reconcile that with, at the same time, benefiting from the conveniences that the very same scientific method provides? Things like the internet, healthcare, your camera or your 350z?

Is there a system for cherry picking which bits of science are “true” or is it just a matter of accepting anything that’s convenient/useful?

Its not different organisations working in collaboration, its mankind collectively reaching a point of truth given the current findings and understanding.

Where does this idea stem from that if someone opposes a current truth with one aspect of science, they have to abort science all together and remove it from their lives? The scientific community daily challenge each others ideas in the pursuit of knowledge. Are they to also abide your law sit naked and walk to work in Moses sandals. Accept all of science or reject all aspects right! Think of what you are actually saying.

Ships going over a horizon was probably in its day the most conclusive piece of evidence for a globe using a monocular. Today with high powered digital auto stabilising lenses proves different. Ships do not go over a horizon in a fashion one would expect to see.

3 hours ago, Rock_Steady said:

Anyway, what's the benefit if the earth is flat? Doesn't change my life. If it's flat it's flat, i'm happy to accept it, if it's round it's round! Bonus. I guess the FE crew can say " Ha!, told you so" ........... and then?  A disco? 

Exactly the shape of the earth doesn't affect me or you one little bit. That's why I don't get when folks back it purely going off what we've been told.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

So, in a nutshell, atheists who reject religion, are as bad as the religious for believing what we're told is fact by science, because things such as a spherical planet are too easy to fake using cgi technology, and we can't realistically fly EVERYONE to space to prove it? 

Now I've been in an aeroplane or 20 in my time, and I like a little look around. When I tire of or get caught by my wife of the stewardesses, I like to look out of the window. The horizon in definitely curved, therefore I believe the earth to be a globe. 

Now I appreciate this is the same as me saying I don't believe in any deity because I personally have never experienced a miracle or heard any other voices in my head than the usual ones. 

I can sort of see how how FE'ers (and I fully believe @davey_83 isn't one, but rather playing devils advocate here) can utilise modern technology saying that we've never been in space, its all just sudios and cgi (but they accept we balance satellites in orbit to transmit the images). But the debate is an unwinnable one in the same way religion is. Atheists will always deny God or gods without proof, Theists will always ask what was around before the big bang, where did the matter that existed before the event come from. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what the benefit of trying to cover up the shape of the world would be??

Obviously its round, I can face time my Aunt & Uncle in Australia where its light and summer whilst its dark and winter here. Or have the Illuminati used mind control on them too?

I'm sure that governments and companies lie and cover things up all the time but FE makes no sense to me one bit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

The scientific community daily challenge each others ideas in the pursuit of knowledge. Are they to also abide your law sit naked and walk to work in Moses sandals. Accept all of science or reject all aspects right! Think of what you are actually saying.

When a serious challenge is made to something that has been claimed, it’s done so by applying the scientific method. Findings are published and peer reviewed to discern if the method and findings were rigorous and stand up to challenge. They don’t make a  youtube and then say, “Ha ha, disproved!”.

Where is this serious science in FE? There literally is none. Not a single piece. It’s the exact same pseudo-scientific fabrication as other  conjecture like Intelligent Design. Never once proven, in any shape or form. In all of the many posts you’ve made in here, not one has any grounding in anything other than anecdote. 

You can’t pick and choose which science bits you agree and disagree with on a whim, because you’re not backing the hypothesis that you want so desperately to be true, you’re backing the process. The best bit of science is the constant challenges, but do it with rigour, not stories.

Stand on the coast of Wales, and all you can see is sea, go up to Snowdon on a clear day, you can see Ireland with the naked eye. On a flat earth, with the right telescope you'd see Ireland from the coast. This is because on the spherical planet, height extends the horizon line. On a flat planet you'd see Ireland from the coast of wales. Being up Snowdon and seeing the Ireland already proves that the naked eye is strong enough to cover the distance.

45 minutes ago, RickyZ said:

I don't understand what the benefit of trying to cover up the shape of the world would be??

Apparently NASA do it to protect their state funding. No ones really sure why they get paid more for a globe.

Probably some sort of tie in deal with the Premier League.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also, haven't Russia and others been into space? If there was a chance for a cold war era Russia to discredit NASA, they'd seize upon it.. stand by for my picture summing up globe earth.

Edited by Jay84

3 hours ago, SuperStu said:

When a serious challenge is made to something that has been claimed, it’s done so by applying the scientific method. Findings are published and peer reviewed to discern if the method and findings were rigorous and stand up to challenge. They don’t make a  youtube and then say, “Ha ha, disproved!”.

Where is this serious science in FE? There literally is none. Not a single piece. It’s the exact same pseudo-scientific fabrication as other  conjecture like Intelligent Design. Never once proven, in any shape or form. In all of the many posts you’ve made in here, not one has any grounding in anything other than anecdote. 

You can’t pick and choose which science bits you agree and disagree with on a whim, because you’re not backing the hypothesis that you want so desperately to be true, you’re backing the process. The best bit of science is the constant challenges, but do it with rigour, not stories.

What scientific experiment is needed to confirm a ship doesn't sail over a curved horizon? You are absolutely right, you wont get that test published from me sadly. What scientific have been proven to show that water can curve?

I'm a little confused about the ship thing. Are you suggesting you don't see the tallest part of the ship 1st, but that the ship was always there and just continues to increase in size the bigger it gets? If that was the case, why bother putting a crows nest at the top of the mast if it doesn't increase your range? 

And the water doesn't curve, you're right about that, its just pulled vertically to the centre.

54 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

What scientific experiment is needed to confirm a ship doesn't sail over a curved horizon? You are absolutely right, you wont get that test published from me sadly. What scientific have been proven to show that water can curve?

If google water bubble, see what comes up.

thank you :D

However in the real world as in the video I linked, the boat goes out until distortion not over the curve.

Text books would have toy believe dinosaurs looked like that from Hollywood movies. Nowadays, paleontologists say that most dinosaurs, including the evil-looking T. rex, had feathers. Gorgeous, fabulous, COLORFUL feathers.

Until the late 1990s, scientists thought that gravity must be slowing down the expansion of the universe. "Recent discoveries told us that the universe is flying apart—faster and faster," It changed everything we ever knew about the cosmos.

Science can be wrong is all I'm saying. Cigarettes were fashionable until proven to actually be bad for your health, things change, knowledge grows. However I get it - its written in a text book, there for its truth.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Love all those paragraphs of sideshow, attempting to diffuse and cloud the issue at hand, all of which can be summed up in the simple phrase “based on current evidence”.

Do you concede that bubbles can exist within water? Demonstrating that the surface of water can be curved when being acted upon by variables such as pressure, gravity, temperature and surface tension?

Do I believe bubbles can exist in water? Yes, as seen in my bubble bath. Does that prove a globe? how does that benefit the friendly debate...... let's pic holes in a sentence, this proves I'm right.

Let's 

Keep

It

Relevant

From my experience when someone chooses to side step a question, it means one thing. Any body of water remains flat. Again ships do not go over a curved horizon. 

Also NASA is fake as per their video, care to comment? I only ask as you've not said nowt about the footage or I've missed it and do apologise.

Screenshot_20180210-152312~2.png

Edited by davey_83

All good fun :) and all a bit Dunning Kruger.

We live on a globe, FE is just nonsense.

Nasa or indeed any of the other space agencies don't fake things, they are pioneers. If money was no object we would probably be on Mars already. Moon deniers are my fave, loony tunes.

The Internet is full of garbage that will substantiate anyone's viewpoint without evidence. 

Science is ever evolving as we are. At least it admits when it's wrong.

The end.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Also NASA is fake as per their video, care to comment? I only ask as you've not said nowt about the footage or I've missed it and do apologise.

I can't believe I'm going here...

Are you really surprised that the only moving things in a video, the only things that are actually affecting what's being transmitted in any meaningful way, are the things that are breaking up in poor conditions?

• coldel locked this topic