Jwt oil pan spacer useful for track??? Any advice??

Rob350

I'll be tracking my z 4 or 5 times this year, reading about oil starvation going round long corners has got me thinking about buying an oil pan spacer.

Am i right in saying fitting this spacer will help with the oil starvation issue on long corners, or will I be wasting my money??

Cheers guys

38 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Best to fit a large baffled sump, to stop any potential oil surge.

I had tried to find some but could only find cosworth baffle inserts. I know a baffled sump would be the best option, but a spacer would be a good compromise?? 

A spacer will only allow more oil in the engine.

What you require for track use is a baffled sump to help reduce oil surge.

They are 2 completely different items and serve different purposes.

This is the sort of pan you are looking for:

Large Oil Sump for Nissan 350Z SKYLINE V35 Infinity G35 VQ35 VQ35DE Pan

Any idea of where to buy one from??

Iv searched and can only find them in America, I read there used to be an "AAM" (I think) branded one you could buy in the UK but have stopped making them a few years ago

3 minutes ago, Rob350 said:

That one in the pic is for sale in Germany.. anyway of knowing how well it performs??? Or the quality??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grose-Olwanne-fur-Nissan-350z-Skyline-V35-Infinity-G35-VQ35-VQ35DE-large-oil-pan-/112719871973

This is the same as the one I bought good fit no leaks and my oil pressure went up which I can only assume was due to lower oil temperature

:)

23 minutes ago, andybp said:

This is the same as the one I bought good fit no leaks and my oil pressure went up which I can only assume was due to lower oil temperature

:)

How long have you had it on your z for??

Also, did you buy it off ebay from germany with no issues??

I'd be a little bit worried as if there were any problems I couldn't exactly ring them and discuss it, I only know how to say goodbye :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Rob350 said:

That one in the pic is for sale in Germany.. anyway of knowing how well it performs??? Or the quality??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grose-Olwanne-fur-Nissan-350z-Skyline-V35-Infinity-G35-VQ35-VQ35DE-large-oil-pan-/112719871973

They appear to work okay and not expensive but unsure of the quality.

My HKS baffled large sump cost me double that 8 years ago.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to order the ze German baffled sump.

My only concern is in the design of the baffles, as in... if they are a crap design (not much R & D) they could do more damage than good, compared to an expensive performance brand where lots of time and money will have been spent to ensure a good baffle design.

But then again i suppose some baffles are better than none and it will also increase the oil capacity. 

At first glance, people think the baffles are helpful because the oil will be restricted somewhat in its sloshing about. But what most people overlook in my opinion is that this will be installed to a running engine. If the car was just on a trailer being towed around, these types of baffles would keep oil more stationary, but who cares. :lol: Once the engine is running the oil pump will suck up the oil incredibly quickly and now the baffles are only serving to restrict fresh oil from replenishing.

With how shallow those baffles are, the oil level should be above them anyway and it will probably never matter that they are there.  Personally I would not get one simply because it has the baffles, I would only use it if I needed it for other reasons. I do not imagine any harm from running this pan, I just do not see the baffles as anything more than a marketing ploy. 

Increased oil capacity is good for oil life. For the track, all the extra capacity will do for the temp is postpone when the peak oil temp is reached a few moments. An oil pan spacer and pickup extension is a great way to increase oil control, it deepens the sump which is better at keeping the oil down in there. An oil cooler will help better with keeping the oil cooler.

We have most of the sumps and oil pans in stock, see here: https://www.torqen.uk/70-oil-pans-spacers

• Like 2

I have to agree with torqen, I done a bit of research when I was building my engine regarding sumps as it's on a driftcar which will incur alot of sideways g forces, I found that most manufacturers of that type of baffled sump that you posted have stopped making them(there's quite a few blown engine stories on the American forums) so they have obviously stopped making them for a reason. In the end I chose the AAM spacer with a stock sump. Reason for this is it makes the sump very deep and narrow which doesn't allow the oil to slosh about anywhere, there's also the stock internal oil baffle which can only help. I wanted to source the cosworth trapdoor baffles but to be honest I don't think they are really needed

Sorry guys but I beg to differ.

On stock setups and even with a spacer, I have seen oil pressure drop momentarily on track under severe driving conditions due to oil not being picked up because sucking air instead of oil.

So my opinion is that a decent baffle set up can only help this issue to guarantee that you have a constant supply of oil to the engine.

Similar to baffles in your fuel tank which are designed to stop the fuel from moving around causing poor performance, fuel starvation and detonation.

Even then this can be improved on by fitting an external swirl tank and fuel pump.

Just my opinion based on my real life experiences and not information gleaned from the internet.

Your choice of proposed spacer/sump upgrade will predominantly depend on which type of tracks you are proposing to use as some are more demanding than others due to more or less corners etc.

Personally I've not noticed any drops in pressure even on 3rd and 4th gear drifts with my setup. I agree a decent baffle setup will help alot but I feel the design of the above baffled sump isn't very good and would actually make it have more chance of oil starvation as there's alot more side room where the oil can slosh about compared to a deeper stock design. There was a sump available a few years back with trapdoors in it which I believe would of been a better setup but no personal experience with it

Spoke to a few gurus in the industry last night ( US and Japanese manufacturers), everyone confirming what my thoughts were above. In such a competitive market you'd think that GReddy, AAM, JWT, CJ Motorsport and so on will make baffled sumps and yet, the last one I remember was from GTM, I had it on my TT 370z. 

8 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Spoke to a few gurus in the industry last night ( US and Japanese manufacturers), everyone confirming what my thoughts were above. In such a competitive market you'd think that GReddy, AAM, JWT, CJ Motorsport and so on will make baffled sumps and yet, the last one I remember was from GTM, I had it on my TT 370z. 

Did GTM not discontinue their sumps? I thought there would be a few manufacturers making baffled sumps  aswell but they are hard to find and very expensive for what they are. The hks sumps are a Rediculous price lol

So the general opinion is that a spacer will be good enough to stop high g force cornering oil starvation, but as zman said if I can find a good baffled sump with tall baffles that would be the best of all

I'll be in contact with @Adrian@TORQENin the next few days to purchace a spacer then I think. 

Thanks for all your efforts and inputs guys, and keep them coming, this is the kind of info I was after from people who had experienced this kind of thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

Did GTM not discontinue their sumps? I thought there would be a few manufacturers making baffled sumps  aswell but they are hard to find and very expensive for what they are. The hks sumps are a Rediculous price lol

I have read in America there was an APS branded oil pan with baffles that got good reviews but stopped makin them a few years ago

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob350 said:

I have read in America there was an APS branded oil pan with baffles that got good reviews but stopped makin them a few years ago

Ah yeah that's right it was APS I I got mixed up. Think the GTM Turbo kits still come with their own sump.

Your welcome :) it's always good to get some real feedback and not just from people who have read something on the net, even though the people with experience don't always agree with eachother, it's good to see their arguments for and against and you can work out for yourself what you think sounds best. When modifying there's still alot of trial and error with things and finding out what works best for you. Always worthwhile researching things like this before making a decision, just watch what you believe on American forums as they are so adamant they are right even when they are completely wrong lol

2 minutes ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

Ah yeah that's right it was APS I I got mixed up. Think the GTM Turbo kits still come with their own sump.

Your welcome :) it's always good to get some real feedback and not just from people who have read something on the net, even though the people with experience don't always agree with eachother, it's good to see their arguments for and against and you can work out for yourself what you think sounds best. When modifying there's still alot of trial and error with things and finding out what works best for you. Always worthwhile researching things like this before making a decision, just watch what you believe on American forums as they are so adamant they are right even when they are completely wrong lol

GTM has ceased a few years back, Mike (the engineer) left, Sam conned a lot of people, in excess of $1mil and then he died of brain cancer...

15 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

GTM has ceased a few years back, Mike (the engineer) left, Sam conned a lot of people, in excess of $1mil and then he died of brain cancer...

Holy @*!# I didn't know that, I remember a few years back, did you not have problems getting a twin supercharger setup from them? I hate dealing with American company's! Customer service seems non existent