Sky Q, Any good, Any problems?

JetSet

Hi guys, I've bitten the bullet and ordered Sky Q now I have a decent internet connection. I'm getting the 2TB box and 2 mini boxes to replace the HD boxes (which I believe I can keep?)

I've also recently purchased a 65" Panasonic 4K TV so I'm expecting wonderful things, especially as I've watched a few 4K videos on YouTube. Are there any known issues with these boxes? What sort of range do the mini boxes have? Also, should I cancel my insurance contract with Sky Protect as these new boxes will actually be owned by Sky and therefore they will have to maintain them, will they be covered by my home insurance should they be stolen or damaged?

Cheers,

Pete

I'vee had mine for over a year now, and its fine...one thing though, is that it works best if you have Sky broadband as well, as it forms a Mesh network between the router,skyQ main, sky q Mini.  also each box Main, and Mini, becomes a wifi hotspot, so your household wifi should be quite good after install.

i have friends who have tried to work it with a BT infinity router, and lets say its been....problematic!!

Edited by Paul K
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul K said:

I'vee had mine for over a year now, and its fine...one thing though, is that it works best if you have Sky broadband as well, as it forms a Mesh network between the router,skyQ main, sky q Mini.  also each box Main, and Mini, becomes a wifi hotspot, so your household wifi should be quite good after install.

i have friends who have tried to work it with a BT infinity router, and lets say its been....problematic!!

This is very interesting, was talking to a mate in the pub who has Q and BT and he was saying that the Sky engineer he called out was really suffering trying to make it work together, I was asking how as it cant be that complicated .......... seems I was wrong :lol: 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul K said:

Cheers,

Hope it works with my main Netgear router which I've just spent a small fortune on! Talking to an engineer he says that they can as a last resort run a Powerline connection but I don't think that'll be needed.

Pete

The first few weeks after upgrading I was having to reboot quite a lot, but it seems to have settled down now, the whole system and interface is 100x better than Sky HD, but the remote has lost some functionality - such as the ability to control your TV to change inputs. Only a minor niggle as overall it's still a massive upgrade!

12 hours ago, Paul K said:

Apparently. Although it hasn’t been activated yet. But the sky system has power line “built in”

O.K, just looked this up and it seems like it can be activated via the engineers menu. This is probably what the engineer was talking about. How does the Sky 2TB box access the internet, by wifi or ethernet cable?

Pete

Either I think. Mine's all wifi.

I'm with plusnet for internet, with a netgear router, very few issues. The main box loses the internet connection once every month or two and needs a reboot but that's about it.

I've a mini box in the room above and no issues with that either.

Massive step forward from normal sky, mostly because the interface doesn't look @*!#.

The only thing I've found is that when watching live UHD, the sound sync isn't right. Normally this is footy or F1 so doesn't really matter as no-one is on screen speaking for the key parts, but still irritating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jp606 said:

The remote is the biggest pile of poo ever. 

Which version do you have? When I had an issue the Sky engineer swapped mine for the later version - not touch sensitive for the FF/RW etc - and it’s so much better than the old one. 

O.K, It's up and running :yahoo:. At first it kept dropping the internet connection so the engineer added a wifi booster which cut down the number of disconnections. I then accessed the engineers hidden menu and turned off the 2.4ghz connection and that looks to have done the trick. I'm very impressed with the whole setup apart from the remote which is far too small and it's really difficult to make out the markings on it but I guess I'll get used to it. Overall rating, 9/10 :). Engineer told me to cancel my Sky insurance so that saves me a tenner a month :thumbs:

Next job is to strip out the 300gb hard disks and stick them in caddies (once I've got them formatted)

Pete

On 02/02/2018 at 16:03, GreenLandy said:

The only thing I've found is that when watching live UHD, the sound sync isn't right. Normally this is footy or F1 so doesn't really matter as no-one is on screen speaking for the key parts, but still irritating.

You can modify the delay on the setup menu, i also found that its better with a fibre link rather than relying on HDMI

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2018 at 11:52, Paul K said:

You can modify the delay on the setup menu, i also found that its better with a fibre link rather than relying on HDMI

The delay is only on UHD though, the rest of the time it's fine, or is there a separate section for that that I've not noticed? All my sound is optical, not HDMI