What is the best 'All Round' car

marzman

Just a bit of fun, inspired by Wendy's post on Keysers thread here

What is the best all round car?  I know many of us run more than one car, and even that's not enough to tick all the boxes sometimes.

I think most of us want a great looking, high performance car that's economical and can be versatile if needed.  Sadly that car doesn't exist - but what's the closest we can get to it?

I like 4x4 style cars for the more comfortable driving position and their versatility, but the ones i've had (Range Rover Sport) don't handle well and are definitely not economical.  On this basis I feel like the mid-size SUV's or SUV-Coupe's might be strong performers here, but they're all so ugly.

I'm going to vote Porsche Macan (nb i've not driven one so i'm assuming the Porsche credentials will mean it handles well)

I feel like Audi estates might fare well on people's lists...

• Haha 1

Audi estates ae good, but the vag group have bad suspension set ups on the estates and they flat spot the rear tyres after a couple of thousands miles.  I always like the Honda Accord estates. I don't find some of the smaller suvs practical, our qashqai doesn't have as much boot room as I hoped.  The most versatile car I've ever had was a zafira :lol:

Surely it all depends on personal circumstances. Never saw the point of massive 7 seater SUVs before, but now that we have a sproggling, and nearly everyweekend we have 4 adults + kids in the car I cannot see us not having a SUV till my daughter is leaving home.

The current crop of high powered SUV can pretty much do it, loads of pace, safe, can lug around the whole extended family.......and of course our 2.5 ton sub 5 second to 60mph, 6 seater SUV costs <£10 in fuel for every 200 miles :).

My 997 turbo ticks all the boxes as a daily driver and a good all rounder for me. 30mpg, 4 seats, all the performance you want and yet can happily poodle long in traffic or around town. Cheap insurance. Servicing/maintenance wise its cost me just £400 over the last 30,000 miles.

I can get both kids in the back along with all their bags/toys if they want to go to the in-laws for the weekend, and I can get the weekly shopping in the boot no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

911 ofc :p 

I guess you want something to go from track to the tip. It’s going to be one of the fast estates isn’t it really, so take your pick of German flavour. 

Track to the tip... exactly!  As long as its economical too.

I think youve got to look at it from the average persons point of view - you might live up a 3 mile long farm track and have 5 kids but most people dont ......... ;)

Allround for me is (in no particular order): Performance, value, practicality, reliability, safety, comfort.
Stews 997T ticks some of these boxes but its not practical (nothing with less then 4 seats is) and its a bit pricey for the average man on the street, a Tesla is no good if you want to travel any kind of distance. Macans are expensive and juicy and not actually any bigger insidethan a standard saloon and a Lamborghini cannot be the best all rounder in the world by definition - its a Lambo :lol: 

Used to say 4 door E46 M3, would probably go with a 335i/335D estate these days, maybe a Golf GTI, they do pretty much everything well and some things extremely well. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ekona said:

No diesels allowed. An all rounder must also be fun, which discounts diesels :p 

Youve never driven a V10 Phaeton or Toureg I see ......... :lol:

44 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

Ford focus eco boost? Handles well, a good size, economical, and fun in the way any car is when you can drive it at its limit. 

Lacking in performance and to a lesser extent comfort, TBH you could make a similar argument about most high spec Euroboxes these days - they are bloody good allrounders but the best .......... I dont think so.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docwra said:

From experience I know x35 BMW's can see 40+ mpg, so do Golf GTis.

Focus RS is near 40, 981 Caymans are 30+ and 718's are supposed to be close to 40mpg. 

If driving Miss Daisy ;) 

Personally think its a bit pointless having something with a sh*t load of potential if its not being used, might as well get an oil burner with walls of torque when required if you are worried about mpg.